Control of Records - Retention Time vs. Retention Period

x-files

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I saw many documentation samples that are addressing Control of Records. When the "retention" is about to be expressed, I saw that someone said something like (sorry for bad translation) "5 last copies/revisions", "Till the IMS exists", etc.

I expected a time period on that place, but I've also found interesting that way of expressing the "retention", when it has sense, of course, not always.

Is that way of expressing retention correct?

Second question. If I have a subtitle called "Records" at the end of every procedure in our IMS, and filled table with all relevant columns for "the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records." for the concrete procedure, do I still need a separate documented procedure for Control of Records?

If yes, what is missed?

Best regards,
Vladimir

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
1. We also use number of revisions. I inherited the system so it wasn't my decision but I see the concept. It may be more important to see the history of the changes rather than what it happened to be at a certain date.

2. I will let others answer this one. We use a single written procedure for control of docs. I think it is easier to work with than having it repeated on all other procedures. However, I don't know how auditors feel. It appears you meet the requirement by having the procedure documented.

x-files

Involved In Discussions
1. We also use number of revisions. I inherited the system so it wasn't my decision but I see the concept. It may be more important to see the history of the changes rather than what it happened to be at a certain date.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
2. I will let others answer this one. We use a single written procedure for control of docs. I think it is easier to work with than having it repeated on all other procedures. However, I don't know how auditors feel. It appears you meet the requirement by having the procedure documented.
Note, that I'm referring to "Control of records" not documents. I work in a company with 3000 employees. Processes, procedures and related records are displaced geographically.

In short, my question is - if I ensure that all records related to the process (procedure), are listed (documented) inside that procedure in a table manner, with mandatory data (columns) for "the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records.", do I still need a separate documented procedure for Control of records? If yes, what else should that procedure say what is not said in the table header of records' list?

Best regards,
Vladimir

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
"Documents" are not "Records" per se. A procedure is a document. Past versions of procedures is one issue where you could call them records, but that is a gray area. Note that in regulated industries (e.g. pharma, medical devices, aerospace, etc.) federal, state and/or local regulations may define to how many revisions of a procedure (or work instruction, etc.) you have to keep and for how long.

Records are a different thing in the normal sense of the word. A Record may have started out as a "document" as a form. It officially becomes a Record when data is entered on it. As above, in regulated industries (e.g. pharma, medical devices, aerospace, etc.) federal, state and/or local regulations may, and often do, define how long you have to keep different records.

For all intents and purposes, Retention Time == Retention Period

Question 2. As long as there is a documented policy or you have written somewhere such as within document(s) you can avoid a specific procedure, in my opinion. BUT - Again, as above in regulated industries (e.g. pharma, medical devices, aerospace, etc.) federal, state and/or local regulations may, and often do, require a documented procedure.

As a last thought, you can have a documented procedure titled something like "Control of Documents and Records" in which both are addressed. My personal "taste" is separate procedures, but that's just me.

phoenix2368

Starting to get Involved
I agree with Marc to have separate procedures for control of documents and control of records.
As i see an issue in medical devices, Some times you have to keep the records for a longer time conditioned to when the last batch was sold , how long you kept it. and what is the life time of product. so you are keeping some records for indefinite periods ( Because it depends when your last batch of certain device was sold and you have to retain its record for minimum 2 years as per FDA's requirement.
SO it is better to have separate procedures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Control of Records - API Q1 8th Edition Record Retention Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
S Control of Records: "Retention" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Douglas E. Purdy Control of Disposition of Records - Record Retention - TS 16949 Clause 4.2.4.1 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
R Control of Quality Records - What is the required retention time? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S ISO 13485 Cl. 4.2.5 - Requirements for Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Definition Integrity - The meaning of the word INTEGRITY in ISO 13485 Control of Records Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
GoSpeedRacer ISO 13485:2016 Clause 4.2.5 - Control of Records - HIPAA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Control numbers for records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Control of email (and other electronic media) as Records - 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Gman2 Control of Records - Lets talk about modern methods Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
M AS9100 - 4.2.4 Control of Records and 6.3 Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Document Control - Disposing of Outdated Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
drgnrider Records control on a shared, open, network Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D 21 CFR 11 Tools Validation - Electronic Document and Records Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
K Records Control - How do you Manage tons of Paper Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
K Control of Documents or Control of Records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
K Guidance on AS 9100 4.2.3 Control of External Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Electronic Record Control (Specifically editable records not fixed documents!) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M When do you need to control records of Purchase Orders? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Quality Records (QR) Control Codes Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
R Control of Records - Clarify which records are to be maintained ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Control of Records - Is a List of Records Required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J MS Office 2010 - Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3 c Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records - Documented Procedure help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K 5S on Control of Records (e.g. Check Records, Cluttered Files, etc.) in a 5S Audit Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
J How to Control Production Batch Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Control of Records - Complying with ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Procedure for Control and Maintain of Records in each Design Stage 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Control of Records Procedure (ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Control of records - what's simple and works! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
M 21 CFR Part 11 & Control of Raw Data Records used as input into Validated Spreadsheet Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Creating a "Records Policy" - Control of Quality Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B Examples of Material Certificate (CofC or CofA) Document (Records) Control Systems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S What Documents and Records to Control and what not to control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Control of Records - Process Flow, ideas and examples wanted Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
J Why control of records in checking section? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Master List of Records Required? ISO9001:2008 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Record Control - Why must I control these records? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A Procedure for control of Records - Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Departmental Control of Records and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L When do you need to control records? Purchase Orders ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Control of Vital Documents and Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2