Control of Records

DarisS

Starting to get Involved
Hello,
That topic is pretty old, but I can not find an answer on other post regarding the question "is an Excel file a Record?"
In fact, Excel file can be modified, means you can modify your records. And printing, signing and scanning an Excel file has no added value other than just demonstrating the integrity of your record. I also have seen companies saving the excel page under a pdf file to keep data integrity, but pdf can also be modified.
What would be the good practice on using Excel as a record means?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
There are no living documents.
Such documents are either:
  • Lists with a record in each (exceL) row (in essence a database), which is inadequately controlled versus the ALCOA+ data integrity principles.
  • Summary overview of such lists, where a record pertaining to the same thing (key-ID) is overwritten when new information arives(even worse, because you're actively destroying information).
    • Sometimes people say they'll upload a snapshot of it to an actual document control system regularly/intermittently,
      • which invariably fails to happen often enough to prevent loss of any intermediate changes,
      • and likely eventually won't be updated at all.
    • No, backups do not count (though they do soften the ire of a serious doc-controller, because your ability to retrieve more information improved).
  • Actual documents, but with either an annoyingly large amount of people who would want to sign/should sign, or with some unscrupulous aspects which people would rather not have show up in the listing of documents within a document control system.
Solutions:
  • For collections of records use the correct tool: a (properly secured) database
  • For summary overviews: pivot the information in the database to the information you need
  • For documents: have high level people own the architecture in a high level document(ed procedure), and cut up the detail over multiple (work instruction) documents based on a manageable (ha) amount of people involved; and stop doing the unscrupulous stuff which you shouldn't have begun anyway.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
This answer is still relevant:

What does your documented procedure for control of documents say?

You design your system in a fashion to retain documented information of compliance. If you choose to call some documents "live" and some "records", that is your call to make.
Also keep in mind that
- the standard does not make a distinction between control of documents and control of records anymore.
- it just requires that documents be identified properly and protected (to maintain integrity, confidentiality, etc).
- more details in 7.5.2 & 7.5.3 in ISO 9001.

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,
That topic is pretty old, but I can not find an answer on other post regarding the question "is an Excel file a Record?"
In fact, Excel file can be modified, means you can modify your records. And printing, signing and scanning an Excel file has no added value other than just demonstrating the integrity of your record. I also have seen companies saving the excel page under a pdf file to keep data integrity, but pdf can also be modified.
What would be the good practice on using Excel as a record means?

Thanks
To answer your specific question: Put a lock on the Excel so it cannot be edited; then put it on a share drive, sharepoint, etc.

DarisS

Starting to get Involved
This answer is still relevant:

Also keep in mind that
- the standard does not make a distinction between control of documents and control of records anymore.
- it just requires that documents be identified properly and protected (to maintain integrity, confidentiality, etc).
- more details in 7.5.2 & 7.5.3 in ISO 9001.
Hello, Thanks for the feedback.
I forgot to mention that I'm working on an ISO 13485 certified company. There is still a specific chapter (4.2.5) on control of records.
The area where I'm unconfortable is with the sentence " Changes to a record shall remain identifiable." and "protected to maintain integrity". An Excel file can be modified and there is not that much you can do about it as long as your Excel file is used both for daily inputs and information sharing and also as your record log containing all the evidence of the work done. In my case, we are talking about NC and CAPA follow up.
On the previous answer Jean_B mentionned "the correct tool", but it would require more ressources to get and maintain such specific tool.
It has to be noted that no one (registrar or customers) never complained about that situation.

malasuerte

I forgot to mention that I'm working on an ISO 13485 certified company. There is still a specific chapter (4.2.5) on control of records.
The area where I'm unconfortable is with the sentence " Changes to a record shall remain identifiable." and "protected to maintain integrity". An Excel file can be modified and there is not that much you can do about it as long as your Excel file is used both for daily inputs and information sharing and also as your record log containing all the evidence of the work done. In my case, we are talking about NC and CAPA follow up.
On the previous answer Jean_B mentionned "the correct tool", but it would require more ressources to get and maintain such specific tool.
It has to be noted that no one (registrar or customers) never complained about that situation.
Certainly, you can do something about changes in Excel - you can track changes of who and when they were done. So if someone either inadvertently or purposefully changes a part item/line/field, you can see the change and go follow up.

If this is not acceptable, then you need to do something like lock the sheet daily; and use a new sheet for the next day.

FYI - this is not about registrar or customer "complaining"! This is about the requirement for records that an organization should adhere to. Plus, You should always strive to do the right thing. Also, Be Proactive/Preventive - -- I don't want a customer complaint. Additionally, what happens if there is an issue and some regulatory agency comes looking for the records?? I'd be concerned with that too.

Enghabashy

the records of the organization are one type of documents & information ; when I fill , dated & signed any document ' it transfer to quality record also & should be maintain & controlling of failing and comply with other requirements of standard ; record is one evidence of effective implementation of management system ; let's to give example : * there's standard contract & standard invoice the issued from governmental authority; this is regulation should be followed by organizations, it's regulatory document , --- when I use the contract & invoice to fill , sign & dated , its' still kept & distributed as document & fillng and controlled as Document & record control , the records could be multi generated from the main one document

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource

In your case, wouldn't it make sense to save the file, locked and read only, in a secure folder, after every time you update it? You would then have individual, secure, time stamped records to present. You can highlight the changes as you make them to make analysis easier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S ISO 13485 Cl. 4.2.5 - Requirements for Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Definition Integrity - The meaning of the word INTEGRITY in ISO 13485 Control of Records Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
GoSpeedRacer ISO 13485:2016 Clause 4.2.5 - Control of Records - HIPAA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Control numbers for records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
x-files Control of Records - Retention Time vs. Retention Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Control of email (and other electronic media) as Records - 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Gman2 Control of Records - Lets talk about modern methods Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
M AS9100 - 4.2.4 Control of Records and 6.3 Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Document Control - Disposing of Outdated Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
drgnrider Records control on a shared, open, network Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D 21 CFR 11 Tools Validation - Electronic Document and Records Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
K Records Control - How do you Manage tons of Paper Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
K Control of Documents or Control of Records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
K Guidance on AS 9100 4.2.3 Control of External Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Electronic Record Control (Specifically editable records not fixed documents!) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M When do you need to control records of Purchase Orders? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Quality Records (QR) Control Codes Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
R Control of Records - Clarify which records are to be maintained ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Control of Records - Is a List of Records Required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J MS Office 2010 - Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3 c Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records - Documented Procedure help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Control of Records - API Q1 8th Edition Record Retention Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
K 5S on Control of Records (e.g. Check Records, Cluttered Files, etc.) in a 5S Audit Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
J How to Control Production Batch Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Control of Records - Complying with ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Procedure for Control and Maintain of Records in each Design Stage 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Control of Records Procedure (ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Control of records - what's simple and works! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
S Control of Records: "Retention" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
M 21 CFR Part 11 & Control of Raw Data Records used as input into Validated Spreadsheet Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Creating a "Records Policy" - Control of Quality Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B Examples of Material Certificate (CofC or CofA) Document (Records) Control Systems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S What Documents and Records to Control and what not to control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Control of Records - Process Flow, ideas and examples wanted Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
J Why control of records in checking section? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Master List of Records Required? ISO9001:2008 Clause 4.2.4 Control of Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Record Control - Why must I control these records? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A Procedure for control of Records - Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Departmental Control of Records and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L When do you need to control records? Purchase Orders ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Control of Vital Documents and Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2