Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim: A specific example (from my personal experience) would be a tempering process (time/temperature dependent) for strip steel which needs to meet specific physical parameters (yield strength and % elongation). When I was involved in the project, we were able to find only one manufacturer who could meet our requirements, and they spent quite a bit of time (and money) in developing their process.
Good day @Jim Wynne ;
@Ron Rompen gave a good example. My personal experiences are similar, with thermal processing (austenitizing time/temp, etc...) And many of the organizations I have worked with (aluminum casting, "BOP shop chemistry" [steel mills], , etc...)
Again, I see no reason why the specifications, tolerances and measurement methods can't be shown on the control plan.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim,

Are you referring to process or product specifications, tolerances, etc.?
I thought the context made clear I was referring to process specs and tolerances. I don't see the OP as clearly limiting the question to one or the other.
The thread title:
Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance
In his initial post, the OP said that his question is "... related to what to accept under the specific column (Product/ Process Specification/ Tolerances)." (My emphasis) I don't know how much more specific it can be.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Jim: As the Process Flow, PFMEA and Control Plan are all required to be submitted as a part of the PPAP, having the process specifications on the CP would mean that the proprietary information developed by the company was now no longer under their own control. I will concede that it is unlikely that this information would then be shared with a competitor, things like this have been known to happen.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim: As the Process Flow, PFMEA and Control Plan are all required to be submitted as a part of the PPAP, having the process specifications on the CP would mean that the proprietary information developed by the company was now no longer under their own control. I will concede that it is unlikely that this information would then be shared with a competitor, things like this have been known to happen.
How can specifications be proprietary? Specifications may be divulged without saying a single word about the process that produces them.

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
The heading is "Product/ Process Specification/ Tolerances" [emphasis added] and the OP did not specify if the concern was product, process, or both. A process specification can be proprietary as outlined by several posts in this thread.

I have seen plenty of process specs such as pH 3.5 +/- .2 or 135 deg F +10,-5 deg F

TWA - not the airline

The heading is "Product/ Process Specification/ Tolerances" [emphasis added] and the OP did not specify if the concern was product, process, or both. A process specification can be proprietary as outlined by several posts in this thread.
As I see it a control plan is about control (obviously :)). So for agiven process step I can either control the process via monitoring critical parameters (which may indeed be proprietary) or by controling the result by inspecting/testing the product against its specification. As long as the column is either/or there is no issue...

Sebastian

Words "proprietary" and "know how" are simply abusive.
Usually, there are no patents, there is no specific knowledge giving market advantage, justifying using it, but company still use them.
Because 2nd and 3rd party auditors tolerate it.

Annex A of IATF 16949 was modified comparing to ISO/TS 16949:2009.
Process control section
- process parameters - ISO/TS 16949
- process parameters (including process settings and tolerances) - IATF 16949
It is reaction for observations related to how suppliers addressed this requirement.

We say, supplier, protect supplier, but control plan, first of all is a method to protect customer.
These specifications are there, to check them during audits some time later after SOP.
Suppliers are not respecting process change procedures and change initial specification without notification to customer.
How to detect it, when initial control plan, part of PPAP package does not list process parameters?

Control plan can consist of more than one document, when it is feasible, e.g. in case of family control plan, but all documents buidling control plan, have to be submitted during PPAP submission.

IATF was not consequent and in IATF 16949 section 8.5.1.2 removed one sentence present in ISO/TS 16949 7.5.1.2 "... instructions shall be derived from sources as ... control plan...", so then work instruction could not be part of control plan, now it may be.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I have seen plenty of process specs such as pH 3.5 +/- .2 or 135 deg F +10,-5 deg F
I've yet to see an example of a proprietary specification/tolerance. Simply stating a spec and tolerance doesn't tell us why it should be considered proprietary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
L Contents of PPAP Control Plan - Product & Process Characteristics? FMEA and Control Plans 10
J Product Failure - PFMEA/Control Plan actions FMEA and Control Plans 4
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Process vs. Product on Control Plan - Weld a nut attachment on the subassembly FMEA and Control Plans 3
D FMEA and Control Plan Characteristics Column - Product / Process Information FMEA and Control Plans 2
D Control Plan need to cover the Product Validation Stage? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
R TS 16949 - 5.4 Planning, 7.1 Planning of product realization, 7.5.1.1 Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
M Dynamic Control Plan Draft - need review FMEA and Control Plans 2
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Control Plan Authorizations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Rameshwar25 What is a Control Plan at "Material Level"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Purchased Part Control Plan (IATF 16949) FMEA and Control Plans 7
J VDA audit, control plan - My hair is almost gone now VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
Howard Atkins MSAs are now required on every feature of the control plan - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Jeff Putman EQI Prelaunch Control Plan - Definition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Control plan references FMEA and Control Plans 6
L Simple Example for PFMEA / Control Plan Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Functional group / area responsible on a Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Should Testing be a separate operation in the Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Why Control Plan Review needs to be Approved by the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B PFMEA and Control Plan Links APQP and PPAP 2
A Corrective Action Column in Control Plan and aligning PFD, PFMEA and Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Family / Generic type of FMEA & Control Plan and Symbols FMEA and Control Plans 3
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
H Control plan example format for CNC machining activities FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Mention "according to Work Instruction" in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
S Attribute G&R for all Visual Controls in Control Plan Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
F What goes into a Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Tighter Tolerances than Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
elkel Control Plan Contents - Part Number / Latest Change Level FMEA and Control Plans 2