Control Plans - Painting Facility - QC manager wants to remove some of the specs

S

SniperMan

We're a painting facility, in one of our control plans we do have spec for different gauges, Ph( phosphate) meter, temperature and pressure gauges.
In pH column with have specs., this is recorded daily in our control charts. Parameters, if out of control, there is nothing significant that happens to our process, also we have no reaction plan if pH reading is out of spec, our QC manager says control plan needs to be change by taking away the specs. for pH and leave it blank., but not sure whether its the right thing to do.

Any take on this.:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
:eek:
In pH column with have specs., this is recorded daily in our control charts. Parameters, if out of control, there is nothing significant that happens to our process, also we have no reaction plan if pH reading is out of spec,
I am afraid that I do not understand.
If you are not doing anything with the data why are you collecting it?
Obviously if you are doing nothing there can be no reaction plan.
our QC manager says control plan needs to be change by taking away the specs. for pH and leave it blank., but not sure whether its the right thing to do.
Apart from filling lines in the CP I don't see why it is there, the CP should shoe the nominal and the tolerances and the reaction, if you do nothing with the data then it should not be there.

Please can you explain some more.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
What are your defined Critical Characteristics of the process? pH? What else?

> Parameters, if out of control, there is nothing
> significant that happens to our process, also we have no
> reaction plan if pH reading is out of spec, our QC manager
> says control plan needs to be change by taking away the
> specs. for pH and leave it blank

This sounds very questionable but we don't have enough information to help any further. If you're automotive, as I assume you are, your control plan is required to have a reaction plan for Out-of-Control situations. If pH is not a critical characteristic of the process, you can remove it from the control plan. I'm not sure you can leave it in with no defined specification / limits. Remeber what we are talking about here - a Control Plan.

A

Al Dyer

I sure would like to audit, excuse me, I mean meet this quality manager. If this keeps up, you may be the next quality manager!:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
A CAQ Software - Implementation of a Software for FMEA's and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
B Control Plans for Quality Management System Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
optomist1 TS 16949 Control Plans - Non-Production Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
S Referencing procedures on Control Plans - Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 3
N Understanding, Challenging & Approving Supplier Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Are 'Error Proofing Methods' required to be mentioned in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
O Any recommendations on good book on Control Plans besides AIAG? FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Steps to Complete Quality Control Plans and Work Instruction Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Sean Kelley MSA Study Requirements for Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
Sean Kelley Seeking Ballooned PFMEA and Control Plans for Training FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Annual Layouts in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
G Interim Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Question about APQP Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
Sean Kelley What are your thoughts on Process vs Product Control Plans ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Are Control Plans "Summary Documents" not meant to replace Work Instructions? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Bulk Material Supplier Control Plans APQP and PPAP 2
S Referencing other documents in Control Plans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
J Efficiently Produce Control Plans and FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Double Spec'ing in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 11
L Do ISO 13485 Certified Organizations need to have Control Plans and FMEAs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Adriane How Confidential are my FMEAs and Control Plans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Control Plans - Evaluation Measurement Technique Column - Torque Control FMEA and Control Plans 2
Brizilla Control Plans and the Shipping Process FMEA and Control Plans 13
R Rolling out Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 1
5 Changes to Control Plans or PFMEA's (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 6
Q Control plans for Incoming, Warehouse and Shipping process FMEA and Control Plans 5
S Process Control Plans: Product Characteristics vs. Process Characteristics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
D Good source for Checking and Evaluating Control Plans needed FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Operator understanding of what Control Plans are and how they are used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Should Serial # of all Measurement Instruments (Calipers,etc) be in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N Control Plans and Inspection Plans for panel board industries FMEA and Control Plans 5
J Control Plans - VDA equivalent of AIAG APQP & Control Plan Manual VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
J Using Ppk to set up Control Plans - Injection molding Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
J Control Plan Question - Are Control Plans considered a Form or a Work Instruction? FMEA and Control Plans 13
D TS 16949 and Control Plans - Need Tier II/III follow AIAG Annex A Format? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
kedarg6500 Guidance List for Control Methods in Control Plans? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Douglas E. Purdy Classification of Suppliers & Control Plans to Reduce Receiving Inspection FMEA and Control Plans 6
G Control Plans vs. Detailed Routings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D How should "Set-up" Parameters be Addressed in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 1
V FMEA and CONTROL PLANS - AEROSPACE FMEA and Control Plans 1
I Help writing FMEA & Control Plans - Re-writing our FMEA & Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q How Many Control Plans Needed? Prototype, Pre-launch and Production? FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Mixed Model Assembly Line Control Plans - Many different options that are available FMEA and Control Plans 2