Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized?

T

TigerLilie

Need some advice from Covers. Historically the read-only QA drive has been the central repository for all controlled forms relating to the QMS. I received a request from Purchasing to move towards a decentralized controlled form management system. They wish to control 2 new forms they just created.

I am struggling to accept their request. First of all, they cannot just control 2 of their 5 forms. Secondly, I would have to change our procedure. Thirdly, everyone in the company knows to go to the QA-drive to get controlled forms. Thirdly, all other functional groups would have to control their forms, otherwise the process would be inconsistent.

What would you do?

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since these are new forms, if they are they still trying to figure out what content and/or format they want, I would put one in the QA-drive with a note saying that 'form is still being revised and to see whomever in purchasing for current form'. Once they have the design complete, put it with the rest of the QMS documents.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Need some advice from Covers. Historically the read-only QA drive has been the central repository for all controlled forms relating to the QMS. I received a request from Purchasing to move towards a decentralized controlled form management system. They wish to control 2 new forms they just created.

I am struggling to accept their request. First of all, they cannot just control 2 of their 5 forms. Secondly, I would have to change our procedure. Thirdly, everyone in the company knows to go to the QA-drive to get controlled forms. Thirdly, all other functional groups would have to control their forms, otherwise the process would be inconsistent.

What would you do?
One good thing to find out is what records that gets made in the two forms that purchase wants to control., are they necessary to be records within your record control requirement...
All records that are generated need not be within your records control. So justify and liberate some working freedom...

dsanabria

What would you do?

While there is nothing wrong with centralize and decentralize documents - have you ascertain as to what is the reason for them wanting to control 2 documents?

Second - if top management agrees with this concept - audit them with additional frequency to make sure they understand that with ownership - there is responsibility and accountability.

T

TigerLilie

There is someone new heading that team, I get the impression they want control because they view the forms as purchasing forms, ergo no one else should control them. In other words, I think they're being territorial.

drgnrider

There is someone new heading that team, I get the impression they want control because they view the forms as purchasing forms, ergo no one else should control them. In other words, I think they're being territorial.

As I tell everyone:
I don't own the systems, I am only their custodian. I keep others from changing the documents and ensuring that the latest versions are accessible and available for use. I publish what the document/process owner gives to me, it they want to change it, all I do is make sure it meets ISO standards.

T

TigerLilie

I sent them an email stating our doc control SOP says forms must be rev controlled and reside on the QA-drive. I explained our auditor would likely ask why these purchasing forms are excluded from this requirement, so we need to formulate a response. I am curios myself to see what their reasoning is. In any case, I need to :ca:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I sent them an email stating our doc control SOP says forms must be rev controlled and reside on the QA-drive. I explained our auditor would likely ask why these purchasing forms are excluded from this requirement, so we need to formulate a response. I am curios myself to see what their reasoning is. In any case, I need to :ca:

Tiger,

You may want to consider asking the process owners to control the QMS docs relevant to their processes provided QA retains the authority to review and comment from a system-wide perspective.

As management systems mature this is to be encouraged, welcomed and audited.

John

Top Bottom