"Controlled" stamp for Controlled Documents - Any alternatives?

Bilijaf

Involved In Discussions
Hi Covers,
we came to the fact that the hardcopies of the documentation system distributed are stamped "CONTROLLED", but for innocent reasons with black ink :tg:, so it was difficult to distinguish the unauthorized copies from the stamped ones during the audits.
Myself i would find that stamping documents is little bit "old fashioned" :nopity:, has anyone better ideas for controlling hardcopies?? Note that all printers are black and white cardriges equiped.:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: "Controlled" stamp- Any alternative?

If you have to have your documentation in hard copy, (you can't go electronic?) how about printing your "controlled" copy on a paper that is not available to anyone else but the person who prints out the controlled copies to distribute them where they are needed? It could be a certain color paper, or something that has a slight design to it (but not in black and white). Then copies are identifiable immediately.

harry

Super Moderator

The standard requires you to control certain documents identified by yourself. How you do it is up to you. The use of a stamp in red is but one of the most widely used method for hard copies. Exercise some creativity.

Bilijaf

Involved In Discussions

Harry,
If we take the signature of the recipients on a distribution list where stated the number of copies received and the date of receiving, could that be enough?

harry

Super Moderator

Harry,
If we take the signature of the recipients on a distribution list where stated the number of copies received and the date of receiving, could that be enough?
Yes. Plus I'll make sure that each individual copy is numbered and approved (signed) in order to shut those picky guys up. Also, revise your procedures if you want a change.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Covers,
we came to the fact that the hardcopies of the documentation system distributed are stamped "CONTROLLED", but for innocent reasons with black ink :tg:, so it was difficult to distinguish the unauthorized copies from the stamped ones during the audits.
Myself i would find that stamping documents is little bit "old fashioned" :nopity:, has anyone better ideas for controlling hardcopies?? Note that all printers are black and white cardriges equiped.:thanks:
1. Go around and sign across in all the real stamped CONTROLLED (in black) document with a blue pen. You would know from your control system how many have been issued.
2. When you have to further issue any controlled document, stamp the CONTROLLED with a blue stamp pad.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Covers,
Bilijaf,

There is a real simple and effective solution. Declare all documents that are located on your computer system "controlled." Any document that is printed/copied will have a footer stating that this document is only valid for a limited time period. Describe this in your document control procedure. Colored ink signatures, stamps, etc. do not add value.

Stijloor.

Bilijaf

Involved In Discussions
Hi Stijloor,
The idea is great, but the problem is some users, for traditional purposes, like keeping and refering to the hardcopies. I can not refrain the others for keeping hardcopies in their offices.
I wonder if someone knows how to label a document with " uncontrolled copy" when printing out a controlled document, using Office Word 2003.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Stijloor,
The idea is great, but the problem is some users, for traditional purposes, like keeping and refering to the hardcopies. I can not refrain the others for keeping hardcopies in their offices.
I wonder if someone knows how to label a document with " uncontrolled copy" when printing out a controlled document, using Office Word 2003.
Bilijaf,

Use the "header and footer" function.

This explains it.

Good luck!

Stijloor.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Stijloor,
Bilijaf,

You are not obliged to help people sustain their bad habits, so it does not matter what they "like".

You should not make editable versions widely available but make controlled PDF versions available electronically. If some users choose to print a document that is controlled electronically then you can add a footer to the PDF version that says "UNCONTROLLED, REFER TO ELECTRONIC VERSION FOR CURRENT INFORMATION".

It seems to me that most management system documents are controlled and distributed in this way. Most of us stopped pandering to those who "like" hard copy a long time ago. :whip:

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Do all Controlled Document copies require a Stamp? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Controlled Copy Stamp on "Paper Originals" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
B Stamping Documents as "Controlled Copy" - Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Stamp Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
S Interesting Discussion Controlled Copy Stamp - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 70
W Controlled Document vs. Uncontrolled Copy - Stamp requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Controlled Environment requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
C Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Q Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Work Order Form (Controlled Document)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Training template - controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Controlled Documents & Note Making ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
pammesue Controlled Setup Sheets for a production line Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Qualification of a Temperature Controlled Unit have to be empty? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Employer Warning Notice a Controlled Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to Cross-Reference Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Leveraging previous results in IQOQs - Environmentally Controlled Room 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Definition of a controlled document --> is a form a controlled document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
P Employment Application Form - Controlled or Not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
LeonelAguilar352 Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
N Do Material MSDS's Need To Be Controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is a Dynamic Controlled Form acceptable per 21CFR820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Should a supplier self assessment form be a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Should Customer Drawings be controlled per AS9100 QMS ? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Types of Controlled Documentation - Call Lists of Emergency Contacts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Should spreadsheets be controlled? If so, how? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Clean Room as a Controlled Environment - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Controlled Forms Conundrum Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
L Are ISO/TS Registrars also controlled or governed by ISO17021:2011? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3