QMS for Life Sciences
Elsmar Cove Forum Sponsor

Controlled sticker for product identification?

Hi everybody.
Please give a comment in this case.
For the identification of a product (for traceability) we use a little sticker 3x2 inches,onto the product, includes product code, work order number, date, process receiving, and next process.
The question is, should this sticker be controlled? I mean , a form with it's code and revision? And under control of documents?
What are the pros and cons of using it
Without control?
Thanks

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
My answer depends on what is the purpose of the sticker.

If the purpose is Traceability, and traceability is required, then section 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability applies...
"The organization shall control the unique identification of the outputs when traceability is a requirement, and shall retain the documented information necessary to enable traceability. " [emphasis added here]
I interpret this to include serial numbers or lot/batch information (information Qualprod did not explicitly mention, but other readers look for guidance in these responses, too).

If the sticker indicates acceptance authority to proceed to the next step, some quality systems require more control. For example, in aerospace AS9100, 8.5.2 contains the additional clause "When acceptance authority media are used (e.g., stamps, electronic signatures, passwords), the organization shall establish controls for the media. " This added measure is intended to prevent an unauthorized person from marking suspect or untested parts as passed.

It will depend on your procedure for controlling documents. The standard does not specifically require assigning of codes or indicating revisions on forms.
My procedure is only for documents, but don't you think a sticker (form) should have a control of document, to ensure this sticker be controlled if changes occur? If such form includes data like: tag number, client number, work order, name of process,etc.
The idea is that all people who need the sticker, always use the one which is under control (name of form and revision).
Sticker for this purpose, how Is managed by others ?
Please help.

I would resist "controlling" the sticker as it can get too complicated. We use tags - probably 500 a month. They simply hang on the part container and move along with the parts for identification. When the parts are complete, the tags are tossed as they serve no other purpose.

My answer depends on what is the purpose of the sticker.

If the purpose is Traceability, and traceability is required, then section 8.5.2 Identification and Traceability applies...
"The organization shall control the unique identification of the outputs when traceability is a requirement, and shall retain the documented information necessary to enable traceability. " [emphasis added here]
I interpret this to include serial numbers or lot/batch information (information Qualprod did not explicitly mention, but other readers look for guidance in these responses, too).

If the sticker indicates acceptance authority to proceed to the next step, some quality systems require more control. For example, in aerospace AS9100, 8.5.2 contains the additional clause "When acceptance authority media are used (e.g., stamps, electronic signatures, passwords), the organization shall establish controls for the media. " This added measure is intended to prevent an unauthorized person from marking suspect or untested parts as passed.
thanks to all,
Hey John, I wonder why the standard states "when traceability is a requirement", what should we do about this, because even when is not a requirement of customers we usually apply practices of traceability, use of stickers with data. marks on some parts and so on.
why is like that?
On the other hand the stickers I refer to are used only to identify product into the processes, is not a release of acceptance.
What I conclude from other guys regarding to assign a control of a sticker (control of form, name and revision), such control is not needed.

As additional information, Into my procedures I mention that stickers have to be added to product to help the identification, but not I dont mention code name of the sticker.

Hope this help to clear up my case.

Thanks

Top Bottom