Controlled sticker for product identification?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I do not have enough information to agree or disagree with your organization making it a requirement.

if it is not necessary then it is up to you to show that to your colleagues.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

tony s

Information Seeker
Trusted Information Resource
but don't you think a sticker (form) should have a control of document, to ensure this sticker be controlled if changes occur?
The standard requires to "ensure appropriate... format" (see 7.5.2b), so forms such as stickers with vital fields (e.g. date, batch number, next calibration date, etc.) should be appropriate for their purpose. However, the standard did not categorically mention assigning of codes and indicating the revision levels. The standard tells us WHAT not HOW. So it's up to the organization to implement approaches to "ensure appropriate format" of its forms.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
I wonder why the standard states "when traceability is a requirement"
In my opinion, all identification provides some traceability. There is a label on my lawn mower with manufacturer and model number, so I know whose website to turn to when I need replacement parts or service instructions. But I think in this context traceability, when required, is more than identification. The most common form of traceability is to the lot of material or lot of manufacture, so if a manufacturing problem is discovered and isolated to a particular lot, all parts from the same lot can more readily be located and corrected. Therefore, if a label serves an intended purpose beyond mere identification, there is a reason to have higher level of control over the labeling

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
The label is a communication tool. Jim is right: the control is in the method used to manage the information shown on the label. For critical product this would probably include part identification and possibly revision number, plus lot or batch number and/or possibly date code.

Not everything requires this extent of detail. It is about needs and wants of interested parties, including your own organization for purposes of production control and understanding what is going on with what product when.

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
The label is a communication tool. Jim is right: the control is in the method used to manage the information shown on the label. For critical product this would probably include part identification and possibly revision number, plus lot or batch number and/or possibly date code.

Not everything requires this extent of detail. It is about needs and wants of interested parties, including your own organization for purposes of production control and understanding what is going on with what product when.
Thanks to everybody, all these comments help me to understand very well this issue.
I appreciate your spent time to help people.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Therefore, if a label serves an intended purpose beyond mere identification, there is a reason to have higher level of control over the labeling
Generally speaking, "control over the labelling" doesn't have to be through control of the sticker format.

It is about needs and wants of interested parties, including your own organization for purposes of production control and understanding what is going on with what product when.
:yes:
This is what I was referring to in post #2 in this thread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Can a sticker be a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Controlled Environment requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
C Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Work Order Form (Controlled Document)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Training template - controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Controlled Documents & Note Making ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
pammesue Controlled Setup Sheets for a production line Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Qualification of a Temperature Controlled Unit have to be empty? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
E Do all Controlled Document copies require a Stamp? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Employer Warning Notice a Controlled Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to Cross-Reference Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Leveraging previous results in IQOQs - Environmentally Controlled Room 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Definition of a controlled document --> is a form a controlled document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
P Employment Application Form - Controlled or Not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
LeonelAguilar352 Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
N Do Material MSDS's Need To Be Controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is a Dynamic Controlled Form acceptable per 21CFR820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Should a supplier self assessment form be a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Should Customer Drawings be controlled per AS9100 QMS ? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Types of Controlled Documentation - Call Lists of Emergency Contacts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Should spreadsheets be controlled? If so, how? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Clean Room as a Controlled Environment - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Controlled Forms Conundrum Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
L Are ISO/TS Registrars also controlled or governed by ISO17021:2011? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Controlled Document Binders on the Production Floor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F ISO 9001:2008 Fundamentals: Basic Questions - Controlled Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
I Controlled Environment Classification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K Medical Application Classification in Controlled/Uncontrolled by Mobile App State. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5