SBS - The best value in QMS software

Controlling Continuously Changing Forms

H

Hoeyster

I have a form that continually changes, it is a tool settings chart. The set-up guys use the data in this form to set up the mills. The data in this form is a baseline to get them started. Once they dial in all the starting data, they tweak the mill to get it where they want to. Once they get the mill set to run they record new numbers into this form. The form is then turned in and the keeper of the form goes in and electronically changes the data.
This form is also used for different sizes of tubing, so the form will appear on 20 different mills.
I want to take this form off control and label it as a Reference Document. The VP of Mfg.'s interpretation is the form is controlled so that the format does not change. The format never changes but the data inside of it does on every set-up. According to our procedure everytime a controlled document changes it has to go through change control. A change control notice would have to be filled out after every set-up.

Does making this form a Reference Document make sense?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
F

fuzzy

Re: Controlling Forms

I have a form that continually changes, it is a tool settings chart. The set-up guys use the data in this form to set up the mills. The data in this form is a baseline to get them started. Once they dial in all the starting data, they tweak the mill to get it where they want to. Once they get the mill set to run they record new numbers into this form. The form is then turned in and the keeper of the form goes in and electronically changes the data.
This form is also used for different sizes of tubing, so the form will appear on 20 different mills.
I want to take this form off control and label it as a Reference Document. The VP of Mfg.'s interpretation is the form is controlled so that the format does not change. The format never changes but the data inside of it does on every set-up. According to our procedure everytime a controlled document changes it has to go through change control. A change control notice would have to be filled out after every set-up.

I'm with your VP:agree1:....the controlled form is the format of the document; once it's filled in it becomes the record. The reference part could be the starting process parameters, but I would be clear on how my tolerances are set as your setpoints change, i.e. does tolerancing increase as setpoints increase, or does a fixed tolerance apply all the time.:2cents:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

You should be controlling the form itself, and not its contents. Most forms will wind up with different information each time they're filled out. Think of the form as a container. You devise requirements for its size and shape, etc., and what may be put in it. The container is thus controlled. The basic nature of the container doesn't change when stuff gets put in it, though, so the control of the container isn't affected.

D

Daryl

I agree with the others and your VP that it is the format of the form that you control; once filled out it is a record. I fell into this trap many years ago where we were trying document a machine setup and found, like you, that the settings changed each time...we then realized that we have to rely on the training of the operator to make sure this machine is setup correctly, we can't (and shouldn't) document the settings...we ended up documenting what settings should be taken/set and the operators keep records of these settings for each machine and each part (or family of part).

So my rule of thumb for a contiuoulsy changing form is to look to training.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I agree with the others and your VP that it is the format of the form that you control; once filled out it is a record. I fell into this trap many years ago where we were trying document a machine setup and found, like you, that the settings changed each time...we then realized that we have to rely on the training of the operator to make sure this machine is setup correctly, we can't (and shouldn't) document the settings...we ended up documenting what settings should be taken/set and the operators keep records of these settings for each machine and each part (or family of part).

So my rule of thumb for a contiuoulsy changing form is to look to training.

If they are recording the actual settings used in this setup, then this data becomes a record.

However, if the form instructs the setup people on what preset settings they should use as a beginning, then these sheets are documents. However, these presets should not change all the time either. If they are presets, they are showing what you have determined is the best starting point, and that should not change often.

And lastly, if you do have a form that must change frequently, consider controlling it electronically, by password, and save all the reviews and sign-offs.

V

vanputten

Study the Deming Funnel Experiment to understand the problems with your organization's technique of modifying the target values based on the last run. There is a more important issue with the methodology than the conrtrol of the form.

Do a simple internet search using the term "Deming Funnel Experiment." Once you understand this principle, you will understand the ineffectivness of changing the document every time.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
You should be controlling the form itself, and not its contents. Most forms will wind up with different information each time they're filled out. Think of the form as a container. You devise requirements for its size and shape, etc., and what may be put in it. The container is thus controlled. The basic nature of the container doesn't change when stuff gets put in it, though, so the control of the container isn't affected.
Jim,

What's more important: package or contents?

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
The package, to someone who makes packages. :D

There is no need for containers if there's nothing to put in them, so you can't separate one from the other in terms of importance.
Great point!

Going back to the "forms"; I would be more concerned with the quality of the data/information contained in the forms than the form itself. But I also understand that structure and control of the form (electronic and/or hard copy) is necessary too.

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Q Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Raffy Controlling Handler, Tester, Computer and other Equipment Manuals. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Controlling Humidity in a Textile Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Controlling a male 6% Luer with permanent collar according to EN1707? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Controlling the records of suppliers - AS9100 Rev B Clause 4.2.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Controlling Forms made in word .doc, excel .xls, and lotus Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14