SBS - The best value in QMS software

Controlling Forms made in word .doc, excel .xls, and lotus

KIDDO

Involved In Discussions
Good day all;

Does anyone know how to control forms made in word, excel, lotus so that users can use the form on their computers but not be able to change the form itself?

The users rather type in the information, say on a receiving log, than write on the actual form.

KIDDO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
You may need to use Adobe......

Acrobat to accomplish this. I believe there's a function in Adobe that you can define forms and allow fields to have data entered for later analysis. I've never seen this done with any MS product, but I may be just incompetent :eek:

Anyone?

Andy

R

Rob Nix

Yes, on MS Word most of our controlled forms are created (in Yoda-like syntax). First, create the look of the form - tables often work best - then add the fields you want (view "Forms" toolbar, and click on "Text Form Field" icon for all needed fields). After the form and fields are complete, go to Tools, Protect Document, select radio button "forms", and give it a password. When others open the form, they will click "read only", fill out the form, and print it or "save as" some other name. Your original form will remain intact.

There is much more to it than that, but it's a start.

My major concern is why users want to modify forms. There may be a culture issue at work, or perhaps the forms are not doing the job (from the users eyes). Protecting the forms is a bandaid solution. Try to find the root cause.

R

ralphsulser

db said:
My major concern is why users want to modify forms. There may be a culture issue at work, or perhaps the forms are not doing the job (from the users eyes). Protecting the forms is a bandaid solution. Try to find the root cause.
The same reason operators on different shifts want to make adjustments to the equipment when they first come in each day. Even though the operation has been running without problems all day, they still have to turn knobs and adjust dials to suit their "own" preferences.
We called this "machine molestation", and had to set the job up correctly, then weld the knobs. One place I heard of put dummy knobs on the equipment
just so the operators could turn them, and felt like they did something for their own benefit.:rolleyes:

L

Laura M

In Excel, select the cell you want them to be allowed to type in. go to Format Cell, protection and uncheck 'locked' (usual default). Then in Tools, Protection - Allow users to select - check 'unlocked' cells. Uncheck 'locked cells'

This allows the users to tab from cell to cell that they need to put data into.

J

jmp4429

db said:
I don't think the OP said anything about users wanting to change the forms (not saying they don't, just saying I didn't get that from the post).

I can’t say how many times I’ve meant to save a copy of the form once I’d filled it out, and accidentally saved it to the original form name. Of course, we password protect our form files to prevent it, but I make the forms, so I have the password and often type it in without thinking.

Not the end of the world, but the next user has to go back and delete all the entries before they can use the form.

L

Laura M

jmp4429 said:
I can’t say how many times I’ve meant to save a copy of the form once I’d filled it out, and accidentally saved it to the original form name. Of course, we password protect our form files to prevent it, but I make the forms, so I have the password and often type it in without thinking.

Not the end of the world, but the next user has to go back and delete all the entries before they can use the form.
Oh - I forgot - save it as a .xlt (a template) and any 'save' automatically prompts a 'save as.' Then no saving onto the master.

G

Graeme

KIDDO said:
Does anyone know how to control forms made in word, excel, lotus so that users can use the form on their computers but not be able to change the form itself?

The users rather type in the information, say on a receiving log, than write on the actual form.
Something I saw at the local mega-warehouse-store last night: ScanSoft PDF Converter Professional. It will convert any document to PDF as easily as printing it, and you can make that or any other PDF file into an online fill-in-the-blanks form. And it's list price is about 20% of the cost of Adobe Acrobat (and the price at Sam's was even lower.) I still have an older version of Acrobat that still works, so I do not have that product. [I did see another one for my list, though!]

Note that (what was) the Scansoft website says that the company name has recently changed to Nuance.

B

Brian Myers

Word "forms" and locking them down...

In MS Word (later versions are the best yet) you can creat your document, using the normal tools for tables, formatting, etc. Then where you want the user to be able to enter data, simpy add a "Text Form Field".

Here is how...

Goto the View Menu
Click on Toolbars to open up the selection of tool bars
Choose Forms (A small "floating" tool bar will show up with about 10 buttons)

Go to the space you wish place a user-field (place your cursor at the first space you want them to use) and click on the "Text Form Field" Button (all the way to the left - looks like "ab|"). This will insert a 5 space field.

It should also shade the area, if it does not, there is a button in the same tool bar for shading, just click on it to toggle the shading on and off.

Once you have all of your user fields in the document, you can protect the entire document using the password feature (don't forget your pasword) or simply click on the padlock icon in the Forms Toolbar (this should lock it and unlock it for the creator only without a password). The 5space field given by Word is enough, it will expand as the user types, so there is no need to guess at the length of entry to allow.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Controlling Continuously Changing Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Raffy Controlling Handler, Tester, Computer and other Equipment Manuals. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Controlling Humidity in a Textile Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Controlling a male 6% Luer with permanent collar according to EN1707? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Controlling the records of suppliers - AS9100 Rev B Clause 4.2.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3