Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms

QSM_Rick

Starting to get Involved
I found an inconsistency in our document control scheme. Some of our Excel forms are multiple tabs. These different tabs are essentially a packet. One tab is one portion of the form, another performs a different task, so on. Is it a requirement that, since each tab performs a different sub-task of the overall process that's being addressed, that each tab must instead be a stand-alone form?

One such example:
F-136 Quote Sheet
First tab: 100. This tab explains what components we're going to need. Think of it as a Bill of Materials.
Second Tab: Route Sheet. This tab explains what work is to be done, in what order, and at what time duration for each task.
Third tab: Labor Quote. How much is each task going to cost?
Fourth tab: Quote Calc. This tab brings all the others together and presents the math results by bottom line and itemized.

The question originates from the desire for what I'm calling "conversion data". How much does each employee need to accomplish per hour to achieve 100% efficiency? That figure will be included somewhere in the documentation on the production floor. Since these figures will be used in production, the document must be controlled. Since they're going to be on the floor, it'll be printed. Since it'll be printed, the entire packet must be printed and find its way to the floor. Should it be acceptable to keep it all as a workbook, the formulas within the file would remain intact. Should the file be broken apart into different stand-alone forms, those formula dependencies are going to be broken.

I know this is long-winded, but we've seem to have found ourselves in a rabbit hole. Thank you for time and guidance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
I found an inconsistency in our document control scheme. Some of our Excel forms are multiple tabs. These different tabs are essentially a packet. One tab is one portion of the form, another performs a different task, so on. Is it a requirement that, since each tab performs a different sub-task of the overall process that's being addressed, that each tab must instead be a stand-alone form?

One such example:
F-136 Quote Sheet
First tab: 100. This tab explains what components we're going to need. Think of it as a Bill of Materials.
Second Tab: Route Sheet. This tab explains what work is to be done, in what order, and at what time duration for each task.
Third tab: Labor Quote. How much is each task going to cost?
Fourth tab: Quote Calc. This tab brings all the others together and presents the math results by bottom line and itemized.

The question originates from the desire for what I'm calling "conversion data". How much does each employee need to accomplish per hour to achieve 100% efficiency? That figure will be included somewhere in the documentation on the production floor. Since these figures will be used in production, the document must be controlled. Since they're going to be on the floor, it'll be printed. Since it'll be printed, the entire packet must be printed and find its way to the floor. Should it be acceptable to keep it all as a workbook, the formulas within the file would remain intact. Should the file be broken apart into different stand-alone forms, those formula dependencies are going to be broken.

I know this is long-winded, but we've seem to have found ourselves in a rabbit hole. Thank you for time and guidance.
I am not an Excel expert, but I believe you can lock out/password protect the other tabs and only allow them to view and/or print the information they need to have.

But, again, I am not an expert on Excel.

QSM_Rick

Starting to get Involved
I am not an Excel expert, but I believe you can lock out/password protect the other tabs and only allow them to view and/or print the information they need to have.

But, again, I am not an expert on Excel.
We've figured that much out, and I think I'm not asking the question correctly. Would a multi-tab Excel workbook that has each tab performing a different purpose towards the same process be a collection of pages in a form, or would it be a collection of forms in a packet? Should each tab be a different form number, or can the tabs be components of the larger form?

Thank you for your time and guidance, Mr Ferguson.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Call it one, call it many...what difference?

Just to avoid having to modify the governing documents, we put a Form number on each tab...simply because a Form number was referenced in multiple governing documents. One cell..."FQ1-07 Rev A"...done.
If the governing docs didn't call out separate Form numbers, we would have just controlled the whole thing as one.

The more important part...does your protection level protect you against drag & drop?

Password protecting a sheet is one thing...but if the raw data used in the calc is dragged and dropped...the password protection doesn't protect your calc referencing those cells, even if the calc cell is protected...try it...make sure...

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Would a multi-tab Excel workbook that has each tab performing a different purpose towards the same process be a collection of pages in a form, or would it be a collection of forms in a packet? Should each tab be a different form number, or can the tabs be components of the larger form?
I agree with Ninja. It can be one or many - you choose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Raffy Controlling Handler, Tester, Computer and other Equipment Manuals. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Controlling Continuously Changing Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Controlling Humidity in a Textile Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Gert Sorensen Controlling a male 6% Luer with permanent collar according to EN1707? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Controlling the records of suppliers - AS9100 Rev B Clause 4.2.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Controlling Forms made in word .doc, excel .xls, and lotus Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14