Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question

Q

qltyscope1

:)Hello Quality Pros, need your input:

Binders with prints are used in machine shop; some prints in the binders due to the length of time are no longer current, some have been revised. During an internal audit a finding was issued due to these binders. The audittee presented an action plan that will eventually address this finding by integrating all prints to electronic format. Naturally, this is going to take time and in the meantime the prints are needed in the shop. The question: During and external audit, if an external auditor finds the binders in the shop with the uncontrolled prints, can the machine shop claim that this finding was identified and it is being addressed through an action plan? Can a finding be avoided by the external auditor? Is the shop protected from receiving a 2nd finding for the same issue? How, will the external auditor view this?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Controlling prints in shop - finding question

Maintaining the outdated/uncontrolled prints while initiating the formal corrective action can be listed as an interim action. Make sure though that NO nonconforming product is produced as a result of this interim provision. Also, I would permit this interim provision for a limited time.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

Q

qltyscope1

Stijloor,

Please can you expand on interim action in order to explain to an external auditor if needed. Also, a limited time. If possible provide a scenario that could point us to better address this issue. Thanks for the feedback. The more clear we address the question the better will be for us during audits.

T

tomvehoski

I'm not a fan of doing anything just to satisfy an external auditor, but I think you have a bigger potential problem for your internal quality that could end up costing you in money, customer satisfaction, etc.

Facts (as I understand)
1. There is a risk that someone will use an obsolete/unrevised print today.
2. You will eventually have to purge all obsolete prints

That tells me you should immediately remove all potentially obsolete prints now. Don't wait until you have an electronic system in place. Even if it means pulling everything and reviewing them one by one as jobs are processed, that is less risk than continuing with the obsolete prints.

Our system that works pretty well is to keep all prints electronically as PDFs. A hard copy gets printed and issued to each work order. Once that work order is complete, the print is archived with the other paperwork. That way a print is only used for one job, and there is no need for a catalog of prints on the floor.

Q

qltyscope1

Thanks for the feedbak Tomvehoski.

Top Bottom