SBS - The best value in QMS software

Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential

C

Chance

Dear All,

We are expanding globally and we want to make sure that our QMS won't leak to our competitors. Do you have any idea? How do you control?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Dear All,

We are expanding globally and we want to make sure that our QMS won't leak to our competitors. Do you have any idea? How do you control?
It is never going to be 'unleakable' without some serious expense! A disgruntled employee could copy all kinds of things. Tell us if this QMS is paper or on a server...

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Andy is right. Most cost-effective protection is to have happy employees. And before spending big bucks on an iffy system do keep in mind Howard Aiken's famous quote: "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

C

Chance

It is never going to be 'unleakable' without some serious expense! A disgruntled employee could copy all kinds of things. Tell us if this QMS is paper or on a server...
Is on the server, but the printing command is not turned off....

C

Chance

Andy is right. Most cost-effective protection is to have happy employees. And before spending big bucks on an iffy system do keep in mind Howard Aiken's famous quote: "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
To have happy employees is very broad. Happiness is subjective. All I can do is to control stuff that I can control.

How to make employees happy?

M

MIREGMGR

As noted above, just make your QMS comprehensive and thorough, so that it requires quality/regulatory personnel, good customer service, proper design reviews and documentation, and lots of other proper approaches to create and provide high-quality products.

Anybody cheap enough to want to steal someone else's system instead of crafting one of their own to fit their circumstances, won't do anything with yours even if they steal it because it'll cost them more money than they want to spend to implement it.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
To have happy employees is very broad. Happiness is subjective. All I can do is to control stuff that I can control.

How to make employees happy?
The golden rule: Treat people fairly and respectfully. Trust. Mentor. Train. Ask if they are happy and when they aren't do something about it.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I agree that keeping a QMS secret is nearly impossible. After all, customers may get to see it too and who knows what will happen then?

However, it's certainly worthwhile to have some kind of information control. I am an internal auditor and some of my employer's sensitive information is password protected, not available for me to look at except during an audit. And that's okay! In fact, I praise them for it because it shows they have been thinking about control of documentation, safety both from inadvertent erasure and intellectual rights.

If you have a skilled IT person, (s)he should be able to set up password-secure drives or folders for your more sensitive data. I doubt competitors would care much about the routine stuff.

Once finished with password-protecting sensitive information, your work is not finished. Besides the excellent feedback about keeping people happy, I can vouch that some of the most notorious IT crackers (the IT community doesn't call everyone a hacker, as there can be good hackers too) accomplished their infiltration by "cracking" passwords of careless employees.

Last edited:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Dear All,

Hi Chance,
I do not see any problem for the documentation portion of your QMS: I mean Quality Manual, procedures, process mappings, KPI etc.
I think you usually show them during external audit ( Registrar, customers etc...).
More critical is surely to preserve the information related to the procss and product design as well as the financial/economical ones.
No recipe is good at all. Try to preserve yourself with No Disclosure Agreement signed off as well as with a good IT systems in place to avoid external atatck like virus, entrance into your servers etc...
Besides, it could be also good to instruct and involve personnel about security issues with training and lots of information.:bigwave:

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Interesting subject, I would be happy if more of our people would know our QMS in detail, not less :)
But seriously, is it really a subject?
What could the competitor do with the full knowledge of your QMS?
Regards
Szabolcs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Seeking Advice - Effective QMS Software for Controlling Audits, Documents etc.? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 19
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Q Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Raffy Controlling Handler, Tester, Computer and other Equipment Manuals. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Controlling Continuously Changing Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Controlling Humidity in a Textile Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Controlling a male 6% Luer with permanent collar according to EN1707? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Controlling the records of suppliers - AS9100 Rev B Clause 4.2.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3