Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me

N

n_easy

Hi All,

I'm just reading through the '4.2.4 Control of records' in conjunction with a book called, 'ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook' by David Hoyle.

What I am understanding from the book is that every record has to be controlled.

Now this may pose to be a problem for me, as we are a care company providing homecare in the UK. We have the following documents that are controled:
1. Care Plans - outlining instructions on what a care worker is to do with a client.
2. Charts - charts record information required by the care plan - items such as bowel movements, any episodes of aggression, medication administration charts etc.

Now the charts are completed on a monthly basis by care workers and brought back to the office at the end of the month. The Care Plans are static and stay at the client's home.

Simple question: Do these completed charts need to be controlled? We have so many client's and all of them have so many charts - do they all need to be controlled individually? The chart templates, which are unique to each client are controlled to log changes etc. However, do the completed charts i.e. records need to be controlled?

I cannot believe they need controlling - I would be sitting here all day long processing records to control if this is the case!

Just a little worried.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Tell us if your organization is ISO 9001:2008 certified.
That will give the experts here some context to work from.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi All,

I'm just reading through the '4.2.4 Control of records' in conjunction with a book called, 'ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook' by David Hoyle.

What I am understanding from the book is that every record has to be controlled.

Now this may pose to be a problem for me, as we are a care company providing homecare in the UK. We have the following documents that are controled:
1. Care Plans - outlining instructions on what a care worker is to do with a client.
2. Charts - charts record information required by the care plan - items such as bowel movements, any episodes of aggression, medication administration charts etc.

Now the charts are completed on a monthly basis by care workers and brought back to the office at the end of the month. The Care Plans are static and stay at the client's home.

Simple question: Do these completed charts need to be controlled? We have so many client's and all of them have so many charts - do they all need to be controlled individually? The chart templates, which are unique to each client are controlled to log changes etc. However, do the completed charts i.e. records need to be controlled?

I cannot believe they need controlling - I would be sitting here all day long processing records to control if this is the case!

Just a little worried.

The standard doesn't say that all records must be controlled. I can't speak for the book you reference, but I'd be surprised if it said that. The pertinent part of ISO 9001:2008 is: "Records established to provide evidence of conformity to requirements and of the effective operation of the quality management system shall be controlled."

There are some clauses of the standard that specifically call for record-keeping, but beyond that, you need to look at the types of records you're concerned about and compare them to the requirement cited above.

If you are dealing with patient records, there could very well be privacy issues to deal with (increases control by restricting access). Records may also be necessary to spot long-term changes in the patient. Because of these alone, I would say that you probably need some control over individual records. Most importantly, research on regulatory requirements for keeping health records.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Just a little worried.

My Colleagues provided excellent advice in the preceding posts.

I am now looking at David Hoyle's book (4th Edition).

Read carefully what he writes...;)

On pages 208 and 209, he lists the records required by ISO 9001.
Now, if any of the requirements in Section 7 of the Standard are excluded because of the nature of your business, some records obviously would not apply.

Next, you need to determine what records are essential for the effective operation of your management system.

Lastly, what records are required by any regulatory and/or statutory provisions that must apply to your organization?

I usually develop a simple spreadsheet of all records that are currently maintained (inventory) and then decide with the stakeholders which much be kept and which ones removed.

Hope this helps.

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

Just a little worried.

The record shall to be controlled! Because the chart provides evidence of conformity to requirements and of the effective operation.

To control a record means that:
1 you have a documented procedure to define the controls needed for the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records.
You don't need to do all of above activities, but do necessary ones.

As you said, the workers bring the chart back to office at the end of mounth. That is the way you control to collect charts.

My suggestion is that you can take a photo for the charts by a digital camera, which takes you few seconds to get one photo, then you can store them into computer. Make sure each photo has unique name, something like client's name+location+date+worker's name etc.

2 you have to ensure that record remains legible, readily identifiable and retrievable. If you do what I said, it will become much easier for you meet the requirement.

Jelly

J

Jeff Frost

I would assume that because you are in the UK that European Union Directive 95/46/EC (or equivalent) related to personal data may also be applicable to these medical records under Clause 7.5.4 of The Standard. Also the authors of the Standard dropped the reference to service about halfway through the Standard. Just remember that were the Standard says “product” you should replace it with the word “service” for you application of ISO 9001.

R

RMain

The record shall to be controlled! Because the chart provides evidence of conformity to requirements and of the effective operation.

To control a record means that:
1 you have a documented procedure to define the controls needed for the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records.
You don't need to do all of above activities, but do necessary ones.

As you said, the workers bring the chart back to office at the end of mounth. That is the way you control to collect charts.

My suggestion is that you can take a photo for the charts by a digital camera, which takes you few seconds to get one photo, then you can store them into computer. Make sure each photo has unique name, something like client's name+location+date+worker's name etc.

2 you have to ensure that record remains legible, readily identifiable and retrievable. If you do what I said, it will become much easier for you meet the requirement.

Jelly
Hi
I would suggest the Chart is Not the Record, but only a visual view of the data. The Data is the True Record. The Data is what is required to be identified, stored, protected, retrieved, retained and disposed of at the end of it's useful life. With the data you can create all kinds views, historical, trending etc..., charts would not always give you a flexible view of the data in it's long term.
My Two Cents

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Controlling the records of suppliers - AS9100 Rev B Clause 4.2.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Q Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Raffy Controlling Handler, Tester, Computer and other Equipment Manuals. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Controlling Continuously Changing Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Controlling Humidity in a Textile Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Controlling a male 6% Luer with permanent collar according to EN1707? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L "Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Controlling Forms made in word .doc, excel .xls, and lotus Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14