Converting Defect Rate To Capability index

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi To All,

If only given a defect rate of say .04% (a binary go/no - go process) can you translate this to a capability index??

Your insight is appreciated....

Regards,
optomist1

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
It can be done, yes. Just look up the inverse normal CDF value for .04 and determine how many standard deviations that is on the normal distribution. Then divide by 3.

Now, the question really is - why do you need to do this? What does it accomplish?

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Steve,

Thank you I am in the field on a ^&*(% blackberry, if you could help me out I woul apprciate it. Does your response aplly to go/no-go data a binomial distribution as well? I have a DPM of 104 what would this be in Cp or Cpk? If you could assit me I would appreciate it.
thanks muc optomist1

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
.04% = .0004, NORMSINV(.0004) = -3.4 standard deviations.

So Capability is approximately 1.1. You are better than three standard deviation capability, but not at six sigma (if that matters to you).

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Steve, specifical my data is 4 defcts in 38,000 ooporunites or 0.000105 defect rat, I need the Cpk for this.....I owe you thaks!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
OK, that is -3.7 standard deviations, which is a 1.2 capability.

Note I am not applying the "1.5 sigma shift" that Six sigma folks use.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
excellent, so for my informtion, isn't the CDF table for a a binomial different from a one 4 a norm dist? I need to brush up...what is a good source of these tables/charts online

thanks mch for your quick hlp

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Converting Manufacturing Drawings from a Contract Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Converting DMF III into eCTD (Electronic Common Technical Document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
T Converting an ISO Class 8 Cleanroom to ISO 7 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N Converting Paper Records to Electronic Format Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V Converting Newtons to Newton Meters APQP and PPAP 4
B Conversion and Rounding Standard for converting metric to english and vice versa Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A Converting 1-Sided Design Tolerance to a Bilateral Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
D Converting to Electronic Document Control - Procedure Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Stijloor Converting a Bear... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Converting SOUP to "SOKP" ... IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Converting PowerPoint Presentations into MS Word Documents After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
N Thermocouple Calibration - Digital Display vs. Converting the Millivolt into ?C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
R Converting Best Measurement (BMC) to Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A Basic Math training - I.e. fractions converting from inches to mm, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I Converting mG(milli g's of acceleration) to dB(deciBel) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
J Converting solid model formats for a Calypso CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Curve Surface Roughness Measurement & Converting Ra to Rz General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Sidney Vianna Converting PowerPoint presentations into video - software recommendations? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
A CMM Software Conversion - Converting from Zeiss/Calypso to Brown & sharpe PCDMIS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
ScottK Learning about converting an AutoCAD .dwg to a .STEP file Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Converting from QS9000 to TS 16949 ... HOW? WHO? HOW MUCH? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Converting torque to pressure - One for the Math Folks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Converting ISO9001:1994 to new ISO9001:2000 - Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Converting to Process Audits - Seeking: Process Audit Form layout Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
J Table for converting Cp values into corresponding Capability % Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Converting DPMO to SIGMA - Seeking Forumula Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
U Determining population defect rate from sample defect rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Corrective action for a defect from customer's mistaken Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
C Handling in-Process Defect Repairs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 31
J Average Industry Defect rates Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
J Definition Defect Mapping - Here is my definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q Calculating Defect Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Zero Defect Sampling Plan Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Fender1 Customer specified Item Defect Corrective Action Responsibility Customer Complaints 18
R Defect Display Area for Employee Shift Change Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
leftoverture PPM Defect Rate as a Performance Metric - Are there Flaws? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
P Evolving Quality Levels - Expectations for Lowered Defect Levels AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 21
A Defect Rate for asking for an RMA - Company wants an RMA for every defect found Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
T Customer Requirement for Sorting - Visual Defect on Plastic Part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Visual Defect during Validation Process Design and Development of Products and Processes 6