Coordinate Measuring Machine Uncertainty - Research Resolving CMM Uncertainties

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Guidance on interpretation and implementation Measurement Research Resolving CMM Uncertainties http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/get-press.pl?7363c&2&20002798&& DALLAS, TX (7/10/2000).

The International Standards Organization is in the final phases of re-writing its 9000 series quality standard that will include a requirement that manufacturers determine the level of uncertainty they have when measuring the toleranced features of their parts and products. Coordinate measuring machines (CMMs) are capable of precisely measuring features, but there have always been difficulties in assessing the accuracy of those measurements. A new company, called MetroSage, has been formed in California by some of the nation's leading metrology and software researchers to address this tricky, technical challenge. The company is a result of a decade-long research commitment made by the Consortium for Advancement Manufacturing--International (CAM-I). Work conducted by the National Institute of Standards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Steven Truchon

Speaking of CMM Uncertainty, I have harbored this possibility for years so I thought I'd toss it out for scrutiny.

Part tolerance= hole location = cylindrical postional tolerance of .002 RFS.

Machine linear accuracy (XY) = +/-.0002
Touch probe accuracy = .0001

Total machine meas error = .0003
Calculated cylindrically (true position formula)= an error zone of .00085 diameter

Using the 10:1 rule of accuracy to tolerance would this CMM configuration only be able to measure Cylindrical Positional Tolerance of .0085 diameter or larger??

Whaddya think?

Steve

T

Timmer

CMM uncertainty?

Hi all...this is a quick and vague question thats been passed down to me from about 4 others....understand thats its Friday 10 minutes before I take off for a few days as well! Anyway, I was asked if there was a way that we can determine our uncertainty on the CMM's that we use throughout the plant. I'll provide more infor if necessary, but for now thats all I have! Tim

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

Attachments

B

bmccabe - 2006

I’m amazed at how often the Cove’s archives have helped me, and also how often the utterly unknown standard proves to be the missing piece of the puzzle. We waist so much time re-inventing-the-wheel, I always pleased to find my work has already been done.

Mark, what is your opinion of ISO 14253 and ISO/CD TS 15530?
Are they worth the price?
We have some grant money to spend; is there any training available for either of these?

cbearden

Involved In Discussions
I've always heard you can be as high as 4:1 and be ok.....So the answer to your question, Stephen.....is "Yes" you can.

'course I could be wrong.....:)

ZeissUser

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Does a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) require Gage R & R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Z Which CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) to buy? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S GR&R (Gage R&R) on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
Z CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Interval (Frequency) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) using a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Comparison/Verification Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Should CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) programs be controlled? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
R CMM Calibration Frequency - Bendix manual Coordinate Measuring Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
H Measuring Diameters in Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R Inspection of Diameters on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M CMM (coordinate measuring machine) calibration recommendations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
Ajit Basrur Reduction of calibration frequency for CMM (coordinate measuring machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Has anyone ever been harmed by a CMM (coordinate measuring machine)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
K Calibration Frequency of a CMM Machine (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
J Reference Element for a Coordinate Measuring Machine General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Certifying Gage Blocks on an In-House CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
L Which CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Software is best? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 23
C Coordinate Measuring Machine Software Validation Process Software Quality Assurance 5
R Questions About CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gauge (Gage) R & R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
L Determining Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) OEE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Seeking Spreadsheet for CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
CarolX Seeking Recommendations: Coordinate Measuring Machine General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Interlaboratory Comparisons Test of CMM (coordinate measuring machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
F Gauge R&R Studies on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G FaroArm vs. CMM (coordinate measuring machine) - Savings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
D What is the best gage equipment to measure an ID bore? Coordinate Measuring Machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Conversion of coordinate dimension holes to position dimension Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
V Gage R&R for Variables Data on a CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A How Companies Coordinate their Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S High Speed Visual Inspection System vs. Coordinate Machining System Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Electronic Coordinate Determination System Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
K CMM Coordinate Systems: Part Coordinate System vs. Fixture Coordinate System Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
H Saving and Control of CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) Printouts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R ULM Measuring Pressures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4