COPs (Customer Oriented Processes), Turtle Diagrams and an Octopus or Two

R

Roger Eastin

Anyone heard of these yet? I haven't seen much discussion in this forum yet, but our registrar and others who have had the training are talking them up! The TS - 2nd edition training for registrars and internal auditors apparently stress these tools heavily. Has anyone developed your COPs yet with supporting turtle diagrams? Are you doing them for your registrar or letting your registrar do them themselves? I am just curious how this is being handled by our TS superstars out there!! (This TS stuff is starting to sound like the Animal Planet to me! Crocky!)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Randy Stewart

Turtles

We have used the Turtle Diagrams to show people how different there understanding of desired inputs and required inputs are. It has helped.

I agree some of this sounds funny. If you have been around any kind of electrical troubleshooting you would recognize a bubble chart. Just another name for something developed a long long time ago. These charts would show you the desired a o'scope reading on the input side and the output side. As simple as it sounds if the input was good and output bad then there was an issue with the process or circuit.

Turtle diagrams are good when you want to show how 1 process affect the next downstream. Upstream has an idea of what the next op wants and puts it on the paper as their output. When compared to what the downstream op needs for input can be eye opening.

Once again, new name for old methods.

S
COP's, Turtle and octopus diagrams are methods used st the supplier auditor course as an aid in defining processes. They are not a requirement of TS2. However, some CB's are requiring the use of these methods, including some variations of their own.

COP's or customer oriented processes is nothing more than names of processes within your facility,1.e., market analysis, Design&development, Production.

The turtle diagram first developed by P. Crosby (1982) is used to identify the requirements of the process. For TS2 purposes it is used for gathering information about a process in order to perform an adequate audit. I have described this in depth in other posts.

The octopus was develped by Ford and is a circle with ten input and output loops around the perimeter. This helps in identifying COP's.

M

M Greenaway

Excellent db, and there is a bonus point for those that can spot the similarity with IDEF0.

B

Brian Dowsett

COPS & Audit Worksheet

We're struggling on COP's too. I got hold of a "Process Approach" audit worksheet, which apparently is taught in accreditation body training and is thought to be (once filled in) a good starter for sending info to the accreditors prior to the audit.

It has 8 columns and lists the COP, then the Support processes, then the management processes, then more columns for various stuff.

My question - has anyone got a completed one I could look at please, as even with the associated instructions I'm still not sure what info is needed.

Also, I tried to represent our processes and their associated linkages on paper and invented the "Four portions of spaghetti" diagram.

Cheers

Brian

Sam, I finally got around to looking at your spreadsheet. In a different thread, we discussed the need to "map" processes, and how to meet the requirments without mapping. This looks like it can do the job nicely. It doesn't have the visual effect of a graphic, but I really like listing the QM and procedures. In fact, if this is kept electronically, you could hyperlink to the actual document.

Good job!

db, thanks for the feedback. This form is a modified version, by our CB, of the audit worksheet that was used at the AIAG supplier auditor class.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S TS 16949 Clause 4.1: COPs (Customer Oriented Processes) and Process Flow IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Customer Oriented Processes: Where are the COPS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Are COPs, SOPs, and MOPs required by IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Hershal Giving Back - Teddy Bear Cops Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Q COPS, MOPS and SOPS - Where is the shall? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
U Management Action Plan (MAP) for the COPs. Does ISO/TS required MAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B Objectives for each process, COPs, MOP's and SOP's - How many is enough? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J TS 16949 - Has anyone used this form for your COPS, MOPS & SOPS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Process Tool Attached - 'Process title page' to describe all links, COPs, MOPs, SOPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0