Copyright for articles used in CER (Clinical Evaluation Report)

TheMightyWife

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

I struggle to find information on how to use articles within CERs.
I'm using PubMed to search relevant articles that I list on my controlled form for 'Literature Search'. I don't download them, just hyperlink them in the document.
Next step is to read them all and decide which ones are going to be included in our CER.
They are available on the website (usually in full) but how does it work with copyright?
They will be obviously quoted in my document, can I do it providing I check that copyright allows this:
'This is an Open Access article which permits unrestricted noncommercial use, provided the original work is properly cited'
And is CER a non-commercial use?
Thank you all for any input you may have.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi TMW,

Generally speaking, citing/referencing papers (regardless of the purpose) is not considered copyright infringement because copyright protects the actual work, not the ideas contained in the work or references to that work.

If, for example, you were directly quoting substantial amounts including quotations directly of from the papers your referenced into your CER (or substantially similar non-quotations), then the analysis would need to be undertaken about whether: (i) your use was NonCommercial and thus allowed by the Creative Commons / Open Access license (provided you properly cited); and/or (ii) your use fell under the Fair Use doctrine (or another exception) to infringement.

Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. This is not legal advice and I am by no means a copyright expert.

TheMightyWife

Involved In Discussions
Hi TMW,

Generally speaking, citing/referencing papers (regardless of the purpose) is not considered copyright infringement because copyright protects the actual work, not the ideas contained in the work or references to that work.

If, for example, you were directly quoting substantial amounts including quotations directly of from the papers your referenced into your CER (or substantially similar non-quotations), then the analysis would need to be undertaken about whether: (i) your use was NonCommercial and thus allowed by the Creative Commons / Open Access license (provided you properly cited); and/or (ii) your use fell under the Fair Use doctrine (or another exception) to infringement.

Disclaimer: I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. This is not legal advice and I am by no means a copyright expert.
Hi Supadrai,

Thank you for your input. It seems like rather complicated matter and I might suggest contacting company's lawyer to clarify this matter

TechnicalGuy

Research and Development
Hi All,

I struggle to find information on how to use articles within CERs.
I'm using PubMed to search relevant articles that I list on my controlled form for 'Literature Search'. I don't download them, just hyperlink them in the document.
Next step is to read them all and decide which ones are going to be included in our CER.
They are available on the website (usually in full) but how does it work with copyright?
They will be obviously quoted in my document, can I do it providing I check that copyright allows this:
'This is an Open Access article which permits unrestricted noncommercial use, provided the original work is properly cited'
And is CER a non-commercial use?
Thank you all for any input you may have.
Hi MightyWife,

I write CERs as well as published peer reviewed work and the rule of thumb is that if the article is cited correctly in the text or in a references section you can report or use whatever you like. Doing things like taking their conclusions and implying they are your own is a no-no as is using large sections of their text. Otherwise there is plenty of freely available published and peer reviewed literature out there, I am a strong advocate for free published work, it often makes copyrighting issues easier to overcome.

Welcome to the Medical Device (and Dental) Industry!

TheMightyWife

Involved In Discussions
Hi MightyWife,

I write CERs as well as published peer reviewed work and the rule of thumb is that if the article is cited correctly in the text or in a references section you can report or use whatever you like. Doing things like taking their conclusions and implying they are your own is a no-no as is using large sections of their text. Otherwise there is plenty of freely available published and peer reviewed literature out there, I am a strong advocate for free published work, it often makes copyrighting issues easier to overcome.

Welcome to the Medical Device (and Dental) Industry!
Thank you TechnicalGuy :)
To be perfectly honest I didn't take copyright to consideration until we received an email form one of the licensing agencies (we are in UK).
Dentistry is something completely different to my previous environment :)

TechnicalGuy

Research and Development
Thank you TechnicalGuy :)
To be perfectly honest I didn't take copyright to consideration until we received an email form one of the licensing agencies (we are in UK).
Dentistry is something completely different to my previous environment :)
I am also in the dental industry in the UK (8 years in some Quality but mostly Design). Feel free to contact me personally if you want to network. I'm sure we can help and assist each other in any specifics going forward.

Good morning,
here comes an awkward question :)
I am a medical devices CER writer and I am looking some (official, wishfully) guidelines on the extent of plagiarism we we "allowed" to practice when writing the State of the Art Section and when appraising clinical data on equivalent devices.
Does anyone have any examples where a Notified Body rejected a CER because plagiarism was detected in these two sections?
Do you think we should treat the CER as an original paper that will undergo peer-review, therefore all plagiarism rules apply, or we could be a bit more flexible given that this is a regulatory document that remains confidential throughout the process?
Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sam Lazzara USA Federal Court Upholds Copyright Protections for Standards Organizations Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M I am looking for the text of the copyright 'rules' for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
Marc Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Hershal This morning I received notification that I have my third copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Marc Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 12
Q AIAG Standards - What promotes copyright infringement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Intranet Communication of Standards Guidelines - Copyright Aspects Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Copyright - 'Ownership' of Post Content and Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 2
P ASTM copyright infringement? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
A ISO Standards - Copyright Limitations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Reproducing parts of a standard in a Procedure - copyright infringement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q The best way to view standards for free without violating copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
T How much can you "copy" before violating the copyright Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 22
W Copyright - Links in Posts Leading to Copyrighted Material on Other Web Sites Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 25
J Z (Archived) Copyright - Cut and Paste Copyright Issues Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 46
JWenmeekers Copyright reminder Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
CarolX Copyright Material vs. File Sharing - Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 14
K Things to learn during lockdown.... Safety-related books/articles/threads Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
DuncanGibbons FAA approval of articles (PMA, TSO) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Looking for Lean Manufacturing Articles in Spanish Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
N MDD Class I Medical Device Self Declaration Articles/Supplementary Documents EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G First Articles - Design only? Our product is Drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
renenatasha Usage of web articles in DHF (Design History File) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
A Clinical Evaluation Report Examples and Finding Articles for support EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S World Quality Week - PRI Articles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
R First Articles on Spares and Stangers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P SCM (Supply Chain Management) in Supermarkets esp in INDIA - Books/ Articles? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
pammesue When to draw the line on first articles submissions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
C How many parts for FAIRs - AS9102 First Articles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Call for Articles - CMM Quarterly Magazine The Reading Room 3
M API articles - testing of drilling & cementing product (API RP 10F) - other sources? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
P A collection of Dr. Wheeler's Articles from SPC Toolkit column of Quality Digest Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Do Newsletter articles count towards recertification? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
G Cl 8.2 Monitoring and measurement - articles & related reading material? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Are there any articles or books bout the "Rotation of Internal Auditors"? General Auditing Discussions 16
V OEM is asking for a specific FMEA to produce first articles IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D ISO 9001 Highlights for articles for our company news letter ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Determining a chargeable cost to our customers for completing first articles and APQP APQP and PPAP 4
M I am looking for some good white collar productivity articles World News 1
Atul Khandekar Sample worksheet & Articles on use of FMEA in Aerospace/Aeronautical industry FMEA and Control Plans 4
Marc Registered User Articles Poll - July 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 8
ccochran InsideQuality would like to publish our articles Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
Marc Registered User Articles Poll - June 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 5
M Customer Approval of New Products - First articles prior to release to production Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
R We Need August Articles! Don't be shy! This almost like 'really being published'! Registered Visitor Articles Archive 6
Marc May 2004 Articles Poll (Vote) Thread Registered Visitor Articles Archive 12
Marc Controlling Electronic Data Sheets from Manufacturers, Articles and Such Like Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Firestone Articles (Other Interesting Articles) World News 35
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5