Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage

Calgirl319

Involved In Discussions
What is the correct calibration method to calibrate this type of depth gage (photo attached)? I was trained to zero out on surface plate than measure different sizes of gage blocks taking a low, middle and high measurements, but my gage reads in .001 and my calibration tolerance is +/-.0005. I can’t meet that with this method. Also, what if the two surfaces are not flush (see 2nd picture) Doesn’t this effect the measurement? As I learn more, I don’t think I’m getting trained right lol!

Attachments

• 20200924_085330.jpg
    20200924_085330.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200924_103100.jpg
    20200924_103100.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 42

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy,

A few things:
Resolution of 0.001 (arguably 0.0005 for "in between hashes") and a cal tolerance of 0.0005 is not a great approach.
Best tolerance I would trust to is +/- 2x resolution...
Gages have error...calibrating to resolution limit is saying "This thing has to be 100% perfect all the time"...which never happens.

What you show (with the depth gage filed down like that) is a point measurement.
That's not a bad thing, height gages typically are a point measurement...it's just a matter of which point.
No big deal if the surfaces aren't flush, as long as the point measurement you get gives you reliable and valuable data...

Calgirl319

Involved In Discussions
Ninja,
I just realized the shop guys modified and grinded down the end to make it more pointy, which is why it's failing calibration. I am going to pass it because what they use it for the tolerance is large and not to critical also if I scarp it and give them a new gage they will just modify the new one. Thank you!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Best tolerance I would trust to is +/- 2x resolution... so your saying a +/-.002 tolerance?

Yes, that's what I mean...though it is a preference.
If "Pass calibration" is +/- 0.002... is the gage still good for the job it is used for?
If so, why set the Pass/Fail criteria tighter? What would be the point?

Calgirl319

Involved In Discussions
Now the big question...are you sure that's all they use it for?
:) Our gages are assigned to users, so I will talk to him and let him know not to let anyone borrow it and to only use it for that particular operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom