Correction fluid found on documents that are reviewed

gpalow

Starting to get Involved
While reviewing records, I found that someone used correction fluid and made changes to important documents. Those responsible now understand the proper correction of records but this should really be documented somewhere. Are there any rules or steps needed to document these findings? Although I want to prevent recurrence, I want to make sure we have steps in place for such incidents.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy gpalow,

Can you give some perspective?

You are an employee?​
You are a CB auditor?​
You are the QM?​
These documents were modified after distribution, or production records?​
By whom, why...and to what extent?​
Way easier to give an opinion if there is some more fact to opine over...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I want to prevent recurrence,
Many companies long ago banned correction fluid on company property as strictly as smoking bans. However, as @Ninja says - More information from you is needed with regard to your specific case/scenario.

gpalow

Starting to get Involved
Howdy gpalow,

Can you give some perspective?

You are an employee?​
You are a CB auditor?​
You are the QM?​
These documents were modified after distribution, or production records?​
By whom, why...and to what extent?​
Way easier to give an opinion if there is some more fact to opine over...
I guess more insight would be helpful. I am the QM(new to the role). The documents I found were batch records. We have eliminated all correction fluid from the department, however, it keeps making its way back! I can say it does not happen very often but I wasn't sure if I should document that correction fluid was used and if so, how?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
....it keeps making its way back....
I assume batch records are important records in your company (they are in most companies). Make/write a policy and train employees on it. Include some type of serious demerit (or whatever) for using it (or even for having correction fluid at all).

Back in my day, in DoD work, it was pretty close to a fireable offense to have, much less use, correction fluid, anywhere there were records being made or kept.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
We have eliminated all correction fluid from the department, however, it keeps making its way back!
That statement is as worrisome as any! Maybe more so. Clearly, the "root cause" has not been eliminated by just purging existing bottles. Training as @Marc suggests is probably in order. Everyone needs to understand the ramifications of their actions.

It's probably worth some time investigating. Maybe it's as simple as not knowing; but there could also be additional, underlying reasons. If it were me, I'd absolutely open a CAPA and work it from there. Should those records be audited / inspected, you should expect a finding. You probably need to see how widespread the problem is and take actions to correct these nonconformities (which they are).

Marc

Staff member
Admin
As an aside: I worked with a small company (14 people) back around 1999 or maybe a bit earlier. They essentially have a quite prosperous business (over 40years old) in which they blended chemicals for metal cleaning. They made their money buy buying LOTS of chemicals in bulk. Anyway, when I first started working with them they had one computer which was only used for - No kidding - Printing labels for automotive customers. The company's founders were 2 guys and by the time I was involved one was deceased and within a few years the other also passed on (if I remember correctly). It was a family business and one of the younger guys, probably a son or grandson, really changed things.

All their batch records and - Well, everything was paper in the place. I'm trying to remember - I think his name was Mike. Anyway - He decided to bring the business into the world of computers. He hired a local guy who was really good. He set up a server, wrote some software and databases for them, and within maybe 4 or 5 years everything was done via a computer station.

I write this as an example of a small company transitioning to the digital world. In this day and age batch records should be electronic. I realize the world is not at a place where everything can be electronic mainly because of cost factors, but the world really is moving to the "paperless world" we've been hearing about for years.

That statement is as worrisome as any!
That was my first thought. <shivers thinking about it>

Back in my DoD days we even had random "walk-throughs" that included desk checks (including drawers). The walk-throughs had several purposes - It wasn't correction fluid focused - By it was one of their checks (much was security and fraud related).

EDIT ADD: Consequences of records being altered

ValuJet Flight 592 - Wikipedia

And all these years later: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/06/us/valujet-fugitive-reward/index.html

Last edited:
I would open a CAPA and say something to the effect "we found correction fluid being used. we do not want that at this facility. we will inform purchasing that none is to be bought. GDP SOP will be updated to say no correction fluid. All employees will be trained on new GDP SOP. Any correction fluid found will be disposed of." Maybe write and exception deviation for the use of the correction fluid tracing to the CAPA or just note the CAPA directly where the correction fluid was used. -Matt

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D FDA Requirements about using Correction Fluid on Documents and Records US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
G Rework, Reprocess, or Correction - A simple blurred letter on the legible etching ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Correction of records - FAR or DFAR? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Who pays for correction and removal actions? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Uriel Alejandro Evaluation of the effectiveness of correction actions General Auditing Discussions 15
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I EO sterilization out of specification and correction Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Jane's When audit NC requires only correction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J Who can make a Correction of Entry on GMP Records Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J ISO 9001:2015 - Clause for Correction of a QMS Nonconformity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Corrective Action Effectiveness also for correction? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
M Does there always have to be a "correction?" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
A Software Medical Device Bug Fixes: Correction or Corrective Action? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Medical Device Reporting vs Recall/Correction: What action to take? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
A AS9100 and Record Correction Procedure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
N Applying Correction Factors to Furnaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Calculation for Correction Deformation (Pitch Diameter) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Observations - Is Correction / Corrective Action a Must ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Correction and Degree of Error - Metrology Definitions and Differences General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B How do I calculate Correction to Caliper Calibration Data General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Correction Action as Preventive Action at another Plant? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Correction and Removal - Include Device used in Non-Production Environment? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
B Recall vs. Field Correction - Field Corrections instead of a Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 25
Q Corrective Action - Disposition always Correction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S 3 Wire Pitch Dia. Method - Measuring Force Correction & Lechowski?s method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Definition Corrective Action vs. Correction: Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 18
D NLEC (Non-Linear Error Correction) vs. SLEC (Segmented Linear) Calibration Technique Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
S Correction vs. Corrective Action - Differences Nonconformance and Corrective Action 30
F Zahn Cup Correction Chart - Boeing specification BSS 7234 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C Medical Device Reporting procedure - Correction and Removal (21 CFR 806) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Can a non-conformance be closed with "correction"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
E Correction and Corrective Action - ALWAYS DOCUMENT BOTH Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
Mohammed Gouda What is the indication of "adjusted scale correction" to calibration of liq thermom.? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Definition Correction vs. Corrective Action vs. Preventive Action Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
G Whats the difference in applying error factor and correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Correction for Part/Master material difference in gage block comparison testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Correction, Corrective Action, and Preventive Action differences - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
Z Apogee V2.5 - No correction mapping unless I pay $8,000+ Software Quality Assurance 6
M CARs (correction action request) vs. NCMRs (nonconforming material report) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D On-site Calibration Environmental Control - Is there a correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Correction - Corrective Action - Preventive Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
J 'Forms' vs 'Question' based Corrective Actions - Correction Action System at Toyota Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
G MSA Manual Bias Calculation - Why is the d2* correction factor needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Element 4.5 - Hand written correction to a controlled component drawing? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Q Process Correction vs. Corrective Action - Failure to React when Out of Control Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8