Correction vs. Corrective Action - Differences

S

Stanpro01

Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller....

I couldn't find anything on this, so I thought I'd ask you experts.

Concerning ISO 9001-2008, para 8.2.2, Internal Audits:

"...shall ensure that any necessary corrections and corrective actions..."

Are corrections and corrective actions two separate animals?

My auditor said he would write up his findings as corrections, and I could determine whether to make them corrective actions or leave them as corrections. When questioned, he stated that corrections are for minor issues to just fix and don't need "corrective action".
On these issues, we were definately not in conformance with the level 2 procedures, so I'm not arguing whether they are nonconformities, I have just never considered corrections and corrective actions separate before now.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

alspread

Re: Correction vs. Corrective Action

Welcome to the Cove!

One interpretation I heard was that 'corrections' were the fixes you did to fix the immediate problem ( fix the form, part, record, etc.) and 'corrective action' was the fix you did to prevent it from happening again (train, revise procedure, etc.).

Q

QCAce

I would say that your auditor is correct in that not all corrections would necessarily require full corrective action. It can be a gray area for sure, but it is good to be flexible.

Our corrective action procedure has a statement something like, 'corrective actions will be created for significant or repeated events...'

Remember that good data collection is always a good 'fall back' position. If you deam something a minor nonconformity that only requires correction, and then future data shows it occuring again and again....then it is probably time to raise it to a full corrective action.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

My auditor said he would write up his findings as corrections, and I could determine whether to make them corrective actions or leave them as corrections. When questioned, he stated that corrections are for minor issues to just fix and don't need "corrective action".
On these issues, we were definately not in conformance with the level 2 procedures, so I'm not arguing whether they are nonconformities, I have just never considered corrections and corrective actions separate before now.

Thoughts?
The definitions that we use are:

• Correction: immediate fix, scrap, waiver or rework to address a Non-Conformance.
  • Containment: identifying, locating and segregating NC product to prevent its use.
  • Corrective Action: Modification of the relevant process to eliminate root causes of NCs and thereby prevent their recurrence.
Correction does not involve a change in the process. Corrective Action usually does.

The procedure to handle NCs required by ISO 9001 section 8.3 involves the first two of the above. The action required by section 8.5.2 to eliminate the causes of NCs involves the third.

Hope this helps!
Pancho

S

Stanpro01

Correction does not involve a change in the process. Corrective Action usually does.

I suppose that is exactly my "foggy area".
8.5.2 says corrective actions shall be appropriate to the effects of the nonconformities encountered.
I have always applied that to mean if it were a relatively minor issue (and I get to decide), the corrective action taken did not need to be a full-blown 8-D. Perhaps get the assemblers together, explain what went wrong and how not to do it again. Document that and I'm done. Other times a fishbone or maybe an 8-D might be appropriate. I still get to decide.
So ultimately, a nonconformance is a nonconformance. I get to decide what action to take. But in my original scenario, it seems the auditor is telling me what action to take.

To all who have responded, thanks for your time (and patience...lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Jim

Super Moderator

Thoughts?
From ISO 9000:

Correction: action to overcome a nonconformance.

Corrective action: action taken to overcome the CAUSE of a nonconformance.

harry

Super Moderator
Perhaps these will be clearer:

3.6.4 preventive action
action to eliminate the cause of a potential nonconformity (3.6.2) or other undesirable potential situation
NOTE 1 There can be more than one cause for a potential nonconformity.
NOTE 2 Preventive action is taken to prevent occurrence whereas corrective action (3.6.5) is taken to prevent recurrence.

3.6.5 corrective action
action to eliminate the cause of a detected nonconformity (3.6.2) or other undesirable situation
NOTE 1 There can be more than one cause for a nonconformity.
NOTE 2 Corrective action is taken to prevent recurrence whereas preventive action (3.6.4) is taken to prevent occurrence.
NOTE 3 There is a distinction between correction (3.6.6) and corrective action.

3.6.6 correction
action to eliminate a detected nonconformity (3.6.2)
NOTE 1 A correction can be made in conjunction with a corrective action (3.6.5).
NOTE 2 A correction can be, for example, rework (3.6.7) or regrade (3.6.8).

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller....<snip>
Correction is a task, or an action to set a thing correct cause it has gone wrong. Like a child is writing with a pencil and a word has gone wrong and so CORRECTION is done with the eraser and the CORRECT word is written and its done. Its just a DO IT task.
Now Corrective action is a process, or a set of activities that involves a study of data, making assessment / judgement and determining the rootcause so that this determined root cause can be minimized or eliminated. Like a child is writing with a pencil and seems to go wrong with many words and hence spending time more in CORRECTING than WRITING. The child cannot by himself take this action. It needs a corrective action to be taken up by the teacher or parent with the child involved.
Similarly correction can be taken up by the lower level personnel, say the operators., but corrective action which is a process has to be taken up by the higher level personnel, say the manager or supervisor and this process has to involve the operator.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
.....Similarly correction can be taken up by the lower level personnel, say the operators., but corrective action which is a process has to be taken up by the higher level personnel, say the manager or supervisor and this process has to involve the operator.
While I dont completely disagree with your last couple of phrases, certain points I would like to put across. Corrective action also includes some of the improvement activities, aka Kaizen, carried out in the shop floor by the Operators themselves. I have come across situation where small changes/modifications done by the Operators kill a problem once and for all. Apparently, they are the one closely associated with the value-added Manufacturing process more than anybody else in a Organization.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Correction is a task, or an action to set a thing correct cause it has gone wrong. Like a child is writing with a pencil and a word has gone wrong and so CORRECTION is done with the eraser and the CORRECT word is written and its done. Its just a DO IT task.
Now Corrective action is a process, or a set of activities that involves a study of data, making assessment / judgement and determining the rootcause so that this determined root cause can be minimized or eliminated. Like a child is writing with a pencil and seems to go wrong with many words and hence spending time more in CORRECTING than WRITING. The child cannot by himself take this action. It needs a corrective action to be taken up by the teacher or parent with the child involved.
Similarly correction can be taken up by the lower level personnel, say the operators., but corrective action which is a process has to be taken up by the higher level personnel, say the manager or supervisor and this process has to involve the operator.
I like your analogy. I would be careful though not to sell short the potential input from workers at the level of the problem to help come up with the long term solution. They are the expert at their job. As soon as you move three feet away from the work station, you are no longer an expert.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Q Corrective Action Effectiveness also for correction? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
A Software Medical Device Bug Fixes: Correction or Corrective Action? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Observations - Is Correction / Corrective Action a Must ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Q Corrective Action - Disposition always Correction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Definition Corrective Action vs. Correction: Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 18
E Correction and Corrective Action - ALWAYS DOCUMENT BOTH Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
H Definition Correction vs. Corrective Action vs. Preventive Action Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
K Correction, Corrective Action, and Preventive Action differences - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 10
C Correction - Corrective Action - Preventive Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
J 'Forms' vs 'Question' based Corrective Actions - Correction Action System at Toyota Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Q Process Correction vs. Corrective Action - Failure to React when Out of Control Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
G What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G Rework, Reprocess, or Correction - A simple blurred letter on the legible etching ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Correction fluid found on documents that are reviewed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
Q Correction of records - FAR or DFAR? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Who pays for correction and removal actions? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Uriel Alejandro Evaluation of the effectiveness of correction actions General Auditing Discussions 15
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I EO sterilization out of specification and correction Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Jane's When audit NC requires only correction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J Who can make a Correction of Entry on GMP Records Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J ISO 9001:2015 - Clause for Correction of a QMS Nonconformity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Does there always have to be a "correction?" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
L Medical Device Reporting vs Recall/Correction: What action to take? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
A AS9100 and Record Correction Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Applying Correction Factors to Furnaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Calculation for Correction Deformation (Pitch Diameter) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Correction and Degree of Error - Metrology Definitions and Differences General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B How do I calculate Correction to Caliper Calibration Data General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Correction Action as Preventive Action at another Plant? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Correction and Removal - Include Device used in Non-Production Environment? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B Recall vs. Field Correction - Field Corrections instead of a Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 25
S 3 Wire Pitch Dia. Method - Measuring Force Correction & Lechowski?s method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D NLEC (Non-Linear Error Correction) vs. SLEC (Segmented Linear) Calibration Technique Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
F Zahn Cup Correction Chart - Boeing specification BSS 7234 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Medical Device Reporting procedure - Correction and Removal (21 CFR 806) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Can a non-conformance be closed with "correction"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M What is the indication of "adjusted scale correction" to calibration of liq thermom.? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Whats the difference in applying error factor and correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Correction for Part/Master material difference in gage block comparison testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Z Apogee V2.5 - No correction mapping unless I pay $8,000+ Software Quality Assurance 6
D FDA Requirements about using Correction Fluid on Documents and Records US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
M CARs (correction action request) vs. NCMRs (nonconforming material report) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D On-site Calibration Environmental Control - Is there a correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G MSA Manual Bias Calculation - Why is the d2* correction factor needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2