Corrections not allowed during audit

My company was recently going through a ISO 13485 surveillance audit. During the audit, the lead auditor would not allow/accept corrections to documents where errors were discovered. We were told that all corrections would need to go through the third party process with an Action Plan, Root Cause and Corrective Action written and approved by the audit team. This is the first time in +20 years in the medical device industry that I have not been allowed to make corrections. My question is, has anyone one else experienced this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Is it possible that this policy is to keep the audit on track and on schedule?

I've typically observed auditors (in the field of medical device manufacturing) allow for some level of corrections during audits, but I've also seen this sort of thing get out-of-hand where lots of time that is supposed to be spent on a new area (e.g. day 2) ends up being consumed by re-review of earlier material, plus a bonus assessment of implementation of all sorts of areas that may not have been in the scope of area where the corrections needed to be made (NCR, Change Control, Doc Control, CA/PA) from day 1.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
My question is, has anyone one else experienced this?
That is (or should be) a standard practice. If the auditor identifies meaningful nonconformities, you don't want to rush the process and apply a band aid (correction). The organization needs to delve into root cause analysis (what takes time and effort, if done properly) and the review to be done by the CB for corrective action implementation and effectiveness also takes time and effort.

Further, you should ask yourself: how come a CB auditor, who pays you a visit every 6 or 12 months is able to identify so many (?) errors? If that is the case, you know that you have a poor internal review process.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome SHiggins!

I'm with Sidney. For all of my years my associates and I were exhorted to not allow corrections during the audit, as it tends to invite a sense of "Let's just move on now" when they want the issue investigated and resolved in a robust way.

And just as Sidney said, part of that robust approach is detection. Your internal audit process is your secret weapon. I encourage you to review its effectiveness.

It was well over 10 years ago that accepting responses during the audit were no longer permitted. At the time it was explained that it interrupted the audit process (taking up audit time), and rushing to resolve the issue resulted in very poor responses with inadequate root cause analysis.

Maybe you had a lenient certification body and a lenient auditor. Looks like your party is over.

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
I agree with the above, this kind of approach is a standard practice. In our case(s), corrections on documents or records were accepted only if performed or at least detected and recorded before audit (for example, mentioned and evaluated in some kind of periodic report or meeting record). If not, NC.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
Was there an observer to the audit? Perhaps the audit was being monitored?

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
If you are asking me - in all cases. Auditor without monitoring, with monitoring, with trainee, two auditors... Doesn't matter. Our NB is one of the big 3.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
S Corrections and Removals - Fiber Content in our textile products was incorrect Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J How to document Corrections made to a Medical Device History File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Help interpreting 21 CFR Part 806 (corrections and removals) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K 21 CFR Part Part 803 Corrections - Due Diligence - Contacting MIA Consignees US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S FDA Corrections & Removals - Industry Practice for Repairs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Pressure Corrections and associated MU for Dead Weight Testers Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
J Minor Corrections to Documented Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Recall vs. Field Correction - Field Corrections instead of a Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 25
K Relationship between "Corrections/Removals" procedure and "Recall" procedure US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
G Track bugs, corrections, reports and progress - Test Management Tools suggestions Software Quality Assurance 4
A Confused - Medical Device Reports and Corrections/Removals 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q Rectification and/or Corrections to existing 'incomplete' records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
M Where do you address Stock Recovery? In your corrections and removal procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C Corrections and Removals and Advisory Notices: 21 CFR 806 (Procedure needed) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q QMS documentation changes - Typos and grammar corrections ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Howard Atkins Corrections to the 4th edition PPAP handbook - July 2006 APQP and PPAP 9
howste Seeking: ISO registered training/corrections companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Stupid Responses to CARs - Long Term Corrections or Root Causes Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 47
J How many majors is one company allowed ? IATF16949 Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Remote support - IATF allowed words defined? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Are you allowed to reuse the same asset number if the device was replaced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B When Travel is allowed - Where are you going? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
L IEC60601-1-11 Home Healthcare + IEC60601-1-2 EMC (Functional Earth allowed?) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S In BAC5300 we have machining mismatch allowed is 3tau, what is the value of tau? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V Nature of references allowed to be cited in the SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Sidney Vianna ISO 17021-1 Management of impartiality - Why is this collusion allowed? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
C Medical device manufacturing (class 2 ISO 13485:2016) - Is a Deviation allowed? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
P ISO 7 Clean rooms - Are sinks, faucets, floor drains etc. allowed? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
N Is ISO14001 consultant allowed to attend ISO14001 audit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 17
supadrai Just found out the hard way that only one registration per manufacturer is allowed in Yemen, regardless of OEM or private label arrangement. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
V Receiving Inspection AQL - Am I allowed to just pick a AQL? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
T ISO 13485: 2016 Internal Audit - Is sampling on projects allowed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Crusader Certificate of calibration from Manufacturer allowed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
R AS9102 - Are FAIs against a Customer Red-Lined Drawings Allowed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Material allowed in the ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
J CQE References allowed in the Exam Room Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
Crusader Internal Audit not allowed... Internal Auditing 29
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
W Am I allowed to ship parts without FAI approval from the customer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Q Allowed no manuals, technical instructions traceability in products ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I FDA Marketing Claims - What is and isn't allowed Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
I AS9100 - What QMS Exclusions are allowed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
L How many ISO Standards are there and time allowed for Closing NCs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S What Reference Material is allowed in the ASQ CQA Exam ? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
M FDA Submission Printing Format - Is double sided printing allowed? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Is taking Photos by the Auditor during FDA Inspections allowed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10