Corrective Action for Customers Lack/Delays in Payment

S

Sardokar

Hello

i work in a midsize IT company that provides solutions (servers,software,storage etc ) to its customers

one of the biggest problem we are facing at the moment is that we are facing serious collections problems because quite a few of our most important customers are not paying on time (which is contrary to the offer they agreed to and signed )

our cashflow problem actually exceeds several hundred thousand dollars

this is a big problem because this lack of collection is causing us problems with the suppliers (we cant pay them if we dont get paid by our customers and as a result some of our suplliers have put us "on hold" and this is creating delivery problems for OTHER customers

I am wondering if others have experienced this kind of things ( i imagine you have ) ...and how did you resolve it ?

i mean what type of corrective action is possible?

- Stopping selling to those customers seems risky since they are major customers ...plus is it effective?

- Stopping the delivery is also risky

- Firing account managers because of collection problems?

- what else ?

I realise this is a very "generic" topic but i am asking for guidelines and IRL resolutions that could help us resolve our collection problems ourselves

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you can come up with

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

I saw similar things back when I was consulting. You are probably not a provider that is critical to daily operations, so you get paid last when the checking account is running low. If you only have $1000 to buy raw material to sell product, or pay your IT past due invoice, you are going to buy the raw material to keep the doors open.

Inform them you will stop delivery until payment arrangements are made. Otherwise you are just going to keep digging yourself into a deeper hole. Does your bank have a problem turning off your credit card if you don't pay? I don't think so. What good is a major customer if they don't pay their bill, cause you late fees, and put you out of business?

Firing account managers is a horrible idea, unless they intentionally got you lined up with risky clients. Companies all over the place are struggling to pay bills - I don't know that you can blame that on your account managers unless they willingly skipped credit checks, etc.

You MUST address it directly with your customer. There is no other way. They understand business well enough to know that cash flow is critical to any business. Some customer's will try to get away with late payments as long as possible and will shape up if continually monitored. Others will not and you at HIGH RISK to continue to do business with them. The conversations usually don't need to be unpleasant.

rnsvasan

Involved In Discussions
If one of your customers is unable to pay on time, then better you can cut down your commitment to him slowly and start concentrating on other customers from where you can lead your business smoothly. This will help both your self and your supplier chain.

A

adickerson

I would talk to your bank. In many cases you may be able to get a short term operating loan by using your receivables (money owed to you by customers) as collateral.

In some industries you can even sell your receivables for short term cash. You may only get 80% of the value but sometimes that is better then going out of business.

A while ago my company sold our receivables that were tied up in the automotive industry bankruptcies. We only got 85% of what we were owed but we got money within 7 days rather than the months or years that the money could have been held in bankruptcy and we got out of any legal costs related to the bankruptcy.

We took a hit but kept the doors open. You may want to talk to your accounting people about this option.

C

cSpeedy

It's been two years. I'm curious- have you improved cashflow?
One way to improve collections is automation. This removes excuses.

• How do you deliver the invoices today?
  • If they don't pay, how long until a reminder is sent?
  • How easy is it for a customer to get access to invoices?
  • If they have a question, do they have a personal contact?
  • Have you assigned a dedicated person for collections?
  • What methods do you have available for customers to pay? The more ways to pay, the more money you'll collect.
Here's how technology can resolve these issues:

• Automatic reminders for unpaid invoices. Are you doing this now? Do you have any control over frequency?
  • Storing payment methods (PCI compliant) makes it quicker to pay, reducing friction increases number of customers who pay faster.
  • Provide a customer portal to view and pay invoices.
  • Collections plan- get a commitment from worst payers to a payment plan, then put the transactions on automatic pilot
  • Broaden access to customer data- who owes you how much money? Broaden who has access to that information, or set up automated report delivery based on rules you set up.

Hello

i work in a midsize IT company that provides solutions (servers,software,storage etc ) to its customers

one of the biggest problem we are facing at the moment is that we are facing serious collections problems because quite a few of our most important customers are not paying on time (which is contrary to the offer they agreed to and signed )

our cashflow problem actually exceeds several hundred thousand dollars

this is a big problem because this lack of collection is causing us problems with the suppliers (we cant pay them if we dont get paid by our customers and as a result some of our suplliers have put us "on hold" and this is creating delivery problems for OTHER customers

I am wondering if others have experienced this kind of things ( i imagine you have ) ...and how did you resolve it ?

i mean what type of corrective action is possible?

- Stopping selling to those customers seems risky since they are major customers ...plus is it effective?

- Stopping the delivery is also risky

- Firing account managers because of collection problems?

- what else ?

I realise this is a very "generic" topic but i am asking for guidelines and IRL resolutions that could help us resolve our collection problems ourselves

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you can come up with
Sardokar....
I am not certain, but I feel you are in India.
Any organization or person will finally be what they "deserve". No wonder you have been taken on a ride by your customer's, important or otherwise.
I would suggest you first shift the importance on yourself than your customers.
I am certain that you are not into any monopoly business. Are you also very competitive in your pricing ? Have you been studying the customer's performance, and know for certain that the payment are not coming due to their business performance ?
Most likely not ....
Most likely you have let yourself to this situation, which I mean in "deserve".
With all due respects to your important customers, cronic late payers are not being highlighted within your system and you have let them to grow.
Build wider customer base, and until the most overdue payments are not received with the most recent orders, do not accept the orders and bring it back on track to within the payment terms. Monitor this ongoing and if you are still not able to get on track, get on to PDC, LC payment through bank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Issuing a Corrective Action against Internal Customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Ever given an Operations Manager an internal Corrective Action Request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Human error corrective action 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
G Use of Supplier's Corrective Action Form vs. Corporate Form Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
M Corrective action for a defect from customer's mistaken Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Corrective action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
H Streamlining audit response and corrective action processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Corrective Action Notification - Registration Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
B NADCAP Rejection Response to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
T Continual Improvement as Result of Corrective Action? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 32
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
A Corrective Action Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Not every INCIDENT report will lead to a corrective action EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Separate Corrective Action and Preventive Action Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L What to do if a Corrective Action requires several extensions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
I Corrective Action Tracking for Product and Process in the same system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
R CIP (Corrective Action) requirements - ISO 9001 clause 10.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
E Corrective Action or Customer Complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
qualprod Is a Corrective Action Expected if a Quality Objective is not in compliance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
M Corrective Action Effectiveness Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P Interesting Discussion Addressing Human Factors in Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 23
S Formal written response to a corrective action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Q AS9100D Corrective Action Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
J We don't have enough Corrective action entries AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
T Timely Closure and "Ongoing" Corrective Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S How to Politely Close out a Nuisance Customer Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11