Corrective Action vs. Preventive (Predictive) Action (CAPA) - A Definitive Discussion

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
The thing about preventive Action is that nearly everyone does it, but 99% don't document it well.

I have difficulty seeing how you can put that into an existing process. AND I use process flow diagrams ALL the time. Seems to me, if you can predict it, then its corrective action (poka-yoke) not preventive. I see that fitting nicely into a flow diagram, but preventive is yet another animal. Preventive is many things, your process engineering group does it all the time I bet. As do task teams and all good managers. AND the best to capture is the operator level stuff.

Some registars just tell you PA is a long term fix to correct the root cause, and CA the short term to fix the problem at hand. That if you do CA correctly, then PA is the result. I disagree, but depending on the registrar I am representing, I have to adjust that a bit.

As a consultant I approach it for the prevention of potential issues...a common sense approach that leads you onto the path toward Continuous Improvement.....which now will fit nicely into the '2000' revision, even though I have been doing it for years. CA still addresses root cause of issues at hand.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Could we not say:

Corrective Action is a response to a negative event (an occurance),

while

Preventive Action is response to a predicted negative event (has not yet occurred)?

Or is this too simple a definition? I think the definition of Preventive Action has changed over the last 15 years. I learned it as 'things we do to prevent a negative event from happening again'. Now I understand it as I stated above.

Key to differences as I understand them:
Actual occurance of a negative event
-vs-
Predicted occurance of a negative event.

If I was told:
--> ...need to insert a (new) Corrective & Preventive
--> section into each of our processes.

I would point blank ask for an example of what that person has in mind. I would want to know just what their expectation was/is. C&P Section? What is that? What does (should) it contain? Will a system where FMEAs and Control Plans are utilized suffice?

I would, as I say, ask for an example to really pin down (and I personally would document) their requirement and expectations. Come to an agreement on the intent of their request (yeah, I know it's self evident, but I wouldn't let that stop me from discussing it). Then come to an understanding on issues such as implementation time, breadth of implementation (All products? Customer specific products?), and related issues. Develop a project plan and get them to approve it. Then, I guess, do it.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 12-31-98).]

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
John,

I am in agreement with Dawn on the need not to place CA and PA into each flowchart. It seems to me that you would be better off creating one process to deal with any type of CA/PA issue that is referred to perhaps in each flowchart. Otherwise, redundancy will only increase the typing.

You mentioned the "what" that could go wrong and "what to do about it when it does". This sounds to me like contingency planning. As far as the differences of CA and PA, the group sums it up well. There were several postings about a month or so ago, can't remember where, but I will post where they are if I get the chance.

Welcome to the group...

J

John LeBlanc

Thanks, everyone, especially for the quick responses. Let me clarify something. I misled you regarding the flow charts. While we have flow charts in each of our process documents, I didn't mean to imply that we were inserting corrective and preventive INTO the flow charts. That is not the case. Rather, we have been instructed to now include a new section of the process document that deals specifically with Corrective and Preventive.

My point was that I had been suggesting to the document authors that they utilize the flow chart as a "stepping off point" for creation of this new section of the process document. Looking at the flow chart, they were to determine what could go wrong, and what they would do to rectify that situation (thus, Corrective) and then they would give some thought to what should be done to ensure that this same problem would not happen again (thus, Preventive).
Does that clarify the confusion that I caused regarding the flow charts?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Using a process flow chart is standard procedure for 8-D and other investigations. I've very 'pro' flow charts. See the 8-D pdf file in the pdf files directory.

I don't know how you'll solve this but please do keep us informed of what happens. I still think we are all at issue over preventive vs corrective. Seems to be a never ending topic subject.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
John,

Marc is right, CA vs. PA is an ongoing discussion. Barb raised a good point. Some registrars consider long-term fixes as preventive action (the registrar we have viewed it that way, my organization does not). From my perspective, CA is taken to remedy an "existing" problem. PA is taken to "prevent" problems from occurring. By definition, CA is taken to eliminate cause and prevent future occurrences of a nonconformance (although prevent is used here, it is not a preventive action as it is "an existing negative event").

Flowcharting is a great tool! Keep pushing that point with your document creators. But I feel that the responses you are building in your flowcharts are contingency plans and not CA. Remember, CA totally eliminates 'causes' making contingencies unnecessary (in theory anyway). There is nothing wrong with contingency planning as it provokes a response to an undesired result, and as you will find, most processes and systems will always produce some level of nonconformance. Contingency planning will hopefully control the level of nonconformance, CA will eliminate the cause of nonconformance.

I also think that Contingency Planning points to potential Preventive and Corrective Actions. For example, "if" this occurs "then" this is what we will do. If you know the "ifs", you may decide to plan to avoid the "ifs" (preventive actions). And if the "ifs" exist, you may plan to avoid them in the future (corrective action). Quite a tough read there, but I hope you get my point.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Uh ohhhh. Contingency Planning rears its ugly head... We need a thread on Contingency Planning.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I have my name on all too many 'starter' threads. I'll let someone else start it off - Let's just NOT add it to this thread. I'ld like to stay as 'on-topic' as we can.

J

John C

The definition of Corrective action can be gleaned from clauses 4.14.2a and b where it refers to “nonconformities” identified from customer complaints, reports and records of investigations.

Preventive action is in 4.14.3a where ‘appropriate sources’ (shall) be used to detect...’potential’ causes of nonconformities.
This seems pretty straightforward to me but there might be some confusion regards sources of warning about potential nonconformities in 4.13.3a, eg; What sort of customer complaint indicates a “potential” nonconformity, rather than an actual one?

Well, one example would be where a customer has a problem, but it is not clear if it is our equipment that is failing. At this stage it is ‘potential’ and we would implement 4.14.3a looking for relevant evidence.

If our records gave a strong indication of potential causes, we would probably then flip over to 4.14.2b action to pin it down. (Note that in ISO 9002, corrective action includes investigation of possible causes which might, logically, be said to be only potential causes. In practise, it is better to make assumptions and act as if you know the problem is down to you, otherwise the argument as to who is at fault would go on for ever like the CO2 issue in the ecological summit in Rio, and no-one would do anything. Once again, the guys who wrote the original wording can be seen to have got the balance just right.)

In the general case, though, I believe that Corrective action is a response, just as it is laid out in the clause, but that Preventive action is an ongoing, positive and deliberate search for trouble, where you don’t have reason to suspect there is any. The only confusion in my mind about this is where do I put my ‘Continuous improvement’ process. Is it here in 4.14.3 or is it in 4.2.3 Quality planning?

Running towards the smoke with a bucket, is not ‘preventive’ action, even though I haven’t yet seen the fire. Niether is shutting the stable doors after one horse has bolted. That is correcting an existing defect to prevent the rest of them bolting.

rgds, John C

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M Corrective and Preventive Action - Prevent Recurrence is not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
W Compliance to 8.5.2 Corrective action 8.5.3 Preventive action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T Corrective Action and Preventive Action in a Holding Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M What is Preventive Action taken as part of a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
N Corrective and Preventive Action in 8D Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
D CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Flow Chart example wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
J Can Corrective Action be the same as Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
sagai Preventive Action vs. Corrective Action as defined by 21CFR820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C Nonconformance, Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
N Combining both Corrective Action and Preventive action procedures into one SOP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
sagai Should Corrective Action be segregated from Preventive Action? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Electronic Corrective/Preventive Action Report for our Customer Service Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure for Customer Service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Q Recover a Damaged CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Project Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
P FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Corrective Action and Preventive Action for Operator Error (Cosmetic - Handling) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 15
B Questions regarding Non-Conformance, Corrective Action and Preventive Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Plan Templates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Standards & Templates for Tier 1 Supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
kedarg6500 Horizontal Deployment of Corrective Action - is it Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
W Are CAPAs (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Input or Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Q CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) NC recommended for IT, HR, ACC.? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Icy Mountain Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Action Database Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 23
Q Calibration Failure - CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P When is an issue a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
C FDA - CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) & Complaint Database 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Suggestions for a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Software Program Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 17
Q CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Guidance Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Issue Tracking and CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Management Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
N Nonconformance and Corrective Actions vs. Preventive Action - Problem Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
A When to take Corrective / Preventive Action and Continuous Improvements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA), 820.100 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Corrective Action, not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
V CAR (Corrective Action Request) vs. PAR (Preventive Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D CAPA (Corrective Preventive Action) Form for critique ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Rameshwar25 Difference between corrective action impact and preventive actions. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Procedures Separate or Combined Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9