Corrective Actions for Customer Complaints - Do ALL complaints have to be Answered?

D

dbulak

A simple question. Refering to the new ISO standard, do all customer complaints/rejects that we get have to be answered with our own corrective action. Is this implied in the new stardard or am I just missing the section where this is stated?

Yes, I am refering to the new ISO 2000 standard. I agree with about the having the documented procedure. However, at our other facility the ISO Representative is writing a corrective action for all customer complaints. This rep has been working with one of the auditors on this issue and claims it is the way to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

You might also try to explain to your auditor the concepts of process variation, and process capability, coupled with the concept of special and common causes of variation.

Then say if a complaint received is found to be due to common cause variation, and the process is operating within acceptable limits of capability, why on earth should you do anything about it ??

D

D.Scott

Sorry to butt in Martin

I think if left as written your statement may be mis-interpreted.

I agree that process capability illustrates a certain process fallout which can be expected. I think you agree that the knowledge of our capability should be used by us to further protect the customer. We can't just say "our capability is 1.33 so you can expect to get about 6000 ppm nonconformance.

If we know we have process fallout, it is our obligation to our customer to prevent the escape of that fallout. If we have to run the parts through a vision system or 100% inspect, or whatever, it is understood that post-process safeguards become part of the process until we can eliminate (reduce) the fallout to an acceptable level. When the safeguard fails and allows a nonconformance to escape, we need to look hard at what went wrong.

This, of course, leads us to a discussion of "Zero Defects" which is another topic entirely.

Dave

We address each customer claim; first to determine if it is a manufacturing defect or just customer perception. Secondly, we random sample stock and WIP to determine if the defect is currently present
Third,if it is a defect, then we review our records to determine if it is recurring. If so we move it into the review and CA phase.

M

M Greenaway

Dave

I would argue that we can say just that !

This doesnt mean that we tell the customer to go away and stop bothering us, we still need to correct the problem by re-supplying good bits.

It just means that we will not take corrective action on the cause, as it may be a special cause and taking action might make things worse. Or if it is a common cause we might just have to 'tolerate' the fallout, and concentrate our improvement actions on those processes that are littered with special causes, and operating 'out of control' - perhaps.

I was thinking in broad process terms, including any 100% inspection.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
IMHO....

Don't confuse identifying the cause with corrective action. Identifying the root cause does not correct anything, nor does a corrective action necessarily eliminate the cause. Especially if you don't identify the cause in the first place.

There are cases where a corrective action may not be feasible, or necessary. You might have to make some concessions to the customer to make him happy, or replace parts, etc. But, if you are not looking to find out why things happen, you are losing a very valuable tool.

The one thing to remember is that not every root cause analysis is going to take three months and $10,000 to complete. If it is product variation, then you probably know and have documented it already. You know that you are producing 999,999 good parts for every one that is bad, if it isn't worth it to your business to change the percentages, so be it. I am sure that each of us that works for a manufacturer has a whole list of "tribal knowledge" items that we can tell at a moments notice "oh, yeah, that is caused by "xyz" but the risk is just not great enough to justify the money it would take to improve the process."

Have a good day!
:)

M

M Greenaway

Steel

Thats pretty much what I said.

If we supply crap we are still duty bound to take it back and re-supply good stuff - no question. But do we want to, or can we change our process so that the fault never happens again ?

E

energy

I hate it

To encourage problem reporting, we are "tracking" all complaints, internal and external. The range of severity ranges from Customers receiving incorrect parts to our order entry mistakes that occur because you hit a "5" instead of a "4" on the keyboard. Contested invoices, double ordering by Purchasing, design snafus, B/P errors, etc..Right now, we can't begin to assign CA/PA for individual problems. Having said all that, we are functioning very well in the overall scheme of things. Less than 2% in Customer returns. Most of these are a result of communication problems between Sales and the Customer and Sales and our warehouse. Customers are made whole, very quickly through concessions such as free freight on the next order, and continue to say that we are the best in the business. I can't imagine what our competitors are doing to keep them with us. It's money we could best spend elsewhere, but for now, not that big a concern. To me, they are all serious and amazed that everyone else just shrugs their shoulders and say "Oh Well". My orders are simple:Track them all....and I'm kept busy. In a few weeks, I will have approx. 250 "problems" that we will group and ask for C/A-P/A on.

Hey Mike, and they ask me why I drink.:vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Are Customer Requests for Alteration to Product Corrective Actions? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
W Re-Evaluating Corrective Actions - Recurrence of a Customer Complaint Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
R Customer Complaint vs Corrective Actions Customer Complaints 7
G Customer Corrective Actions - Replying with 'No corrective action needed' Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
qualprod Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E ISO 9001:2105 - Are OFI or Corrective actions required? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 55
M Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
O Updating "opportunities" resulting from Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
MarilynJ6354 Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests General Auditing Discussions 6
Q Timeframe to resolve Corrective Actions (Undue Delay) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G Non Value Added Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
MarilynJ6354 Internal Audit Corrective Actions Internal Auditing 5
J Where to get meddev FSCA (Field Safety Corrective Actions) trainings EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B Verification of Corrective Actions based on Quantities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Benchmarking - Timely Closure of Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Singapore - New Field Safety Corrective Actions (FSCA) Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Corrective /Preventative/Rectification actions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S TS 16949 - 8.5.2.4 - When are Corrective Actions required IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
E Can corrective actions be written by and resolved by the same person? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
H Corrective and Preventive Actions Process Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L An Auditor gave a finding for Ineffective Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J How to assign a Leader to respond to Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
D Supplier Nonconformance & Corrective Actions Procedures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
O Corrective Actions identifed as Preventive Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
R Tracking Corrective Actions using an Excel sheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
jasonb067 Auditing Supplier Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
F Software or form/templates program to track Internal Audits and Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
P Can the Auditor close down the Corrective Actions? Internal Auditing 12
J Methods to control Efficiency of Corrective and Preventive Actions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
J Corrective and Preventive Actions Database in Excel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Management Team "Actions" vs. CAPA (Corrective Actions) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Free webinar on Corrective and Preventive Actions on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Measuring Monthly Progress in Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E SPC Corrective Actions - Best Practice with Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I RPN without Recommendation neither corrective actions FMEA and Control Plans 2
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
T System Corrective Actions when Conforming Product depends heavily on Inspection Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Scoring the "Quality" of Planned & Executed Corrective & Preventive Actions? Benchmarking 3
Q Corrective and Preventive Actions and Management Reviews ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
0 Corrective Actions - Communication Management & Tools Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
J Reviewing Effectiveness of Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
T Visually Presenting Effectiveness of Multiple Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4