Corrective Actions - ISO 9001:2000 vs. QS-9000 Clause 4.14

A

Al Cohen

Hello guys, a small question that hopefully somebody can answer fairly quickly. We have stopped supplying the big 3 so we are now moving from QS9000 to ISO9001 2000. Unfortunately I am still waiting for the ISO manual and am therefore not overly familiar with it.

So basically....

Q : What are the differences regarding corrective actions between the 2 standards. Do still I have to ensure that vendors supply effective corrective actions when defective parts are received by us or do I just have to keep my customers happy with CAR's if we ever ship bad product?

Answers on a post card to......:bigwave:

M

M Greenaway

Al

ISO9001 is far less prescriptive than QS9000.

Basically its up to you !!

A

Al Cohen

Is it possible that you could show some evidence for this? I.e. where it ststes this in the ISO:2000 manual?

Cheers

Alan:(

A

Al Dyer

QS-9000 has word for word of ISO included in the text, work with the current text and think, improvise, and overcome!!

Not all that many differences!

Al... Call me if I can help further.:)

A

Al Cohen

Al, thanks buddy for taking the time to reply, but.....

My problem is that I only have QS9000 third edition (`98). Is there any additions to ISO 2000 regarding (QS) 4.14 - Corrective and preventative action?

Regards

Al:bigwave:

M

M Greenaway

Al

The simple answer is no, see quote below:-

ISO 9001:2000, Quality management systems – Requirements
8.5.2 Corrective action
The organization shall take action to eliminate the cause of nonconformities in order to prevent recurrence.
Corrective actions shall be appropriate to the effects of the nonconformities encountered.
A documented procedure shall be established to define requirements for
a) reviewing nonconformities (including customer complaints),
b) determining the causes of nonconformities ,
c) evaluating the need for action to ensure that nonconformities do not recur,
d) determining and implementing action needed,
e) records of the results of action taken (see 4.2.4), and
f) reviewing corrective action taken.

No where does it state in ISO9001 (any year) or QS9000 that you HAVE to raise corrective action requests on suppliers, or that you HAVE to give corrective action reports to customers.

What it does say however is that you (d) determine and implement actions needed - how you 'determine' is the crux of the whole thing, and is entirely up to you.

A

Al Cohen

Thanks ever so much for taken the time and trouble to answer my question. I am so pleased to find this site - dont forget - Knowledge is Power...

Cheers

Al:D ;) :ko: :)

S

Shaun Daly

"No where does it state in ISO9001 (any year) or QS9000 that you HAVE to raise corrective action requests on suppliers, or that you HAVE to give corrective action reports to customers. "

wow. If we ever refused to answer a customer complaint the s**t would hit the fan so hard we would all be splattered.

Or do you mean giving customers copies of your own internal corrective actions? My customers ask for copies of those.

Our customers also want copies of nonconformance reports we send our suppliers.

In regards to satisfying a customers needs & expectations, they speak we jump.

Top Bottom