Corrective Actions - When to Implement

A

Al Cohen

Corrective actions and when

8.5.2/3. Learned Peers, was wondering how you guys determine when corrective/preventative actions should be implemented after a non-conformance is encountered. The way I interpret this baby is: I can implement and complete C/PAs whenever I feel it is necessary as long as I show objective evidence that I am following up on serious problems (I.e. doing something!)...
"The organization shall continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of the quality policy,quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, CORRECTIVE AND PREVENTATIVE ACTIONS and management review." My problem is that I work for a prototype/R&D centre so we only ever make the same part 10 times max...
Could anyone supply me with the wording from their quality procedure outlining under what circumstances a C/PA is initiated?

Al:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Randy Stewart

Isn't the prototype business fun?????
Welcome to the cove Al.
I'll start with letting you know that I work for a prototype stamping company so I know what you're up against.
The structure we have put into place is a 3 tier system starting with a data gathering document.
Due to the constant change taking place and the very low volume of parts, IMO you have to be very process focused. You can't rely on parts or deliverables to point you to issues. So, in a nut shell, here is how our system is used.
1) We sat down and mapped out the process hand-offs. Either from function to function or department to department.

2) Established accept/reject criteria for each hand-off (inputs and outputs). This can be very difficult especially if you are doing hand work. But you must determine what the previous operation was suppose to accomplish.

3) We start collecting data at this point with what we call a Rework/NC report. Because most prototypes are "worked in" by hand there are very few "nonconfoming" products. However, from time to time a punch will break, etc. which will require rework. The operators report these incidents with the rework NC form and pass it along to the supervisor or manager. This information is used for a frequency (pareto) chart. This information is collected and reviewed by the Quality Ops Eng group also (QOE).

4) The Supervisor or Manager has the authority to kick off investigation into the problem if they feel it is necessary. Maybe the tooling is not performing up to expectations due to design, etc. In that case they will initiate an Issues/Action sheet which assigns responsiblity, timing, etc. and requires a 5 why for root cause analysis. They can also initiate a formal investigation by requesting an A3 report.

5) If QOE decides that the problem is systemic or processed based upon review of the compiled Rework/NC reports, etc. an A3 report is initiated.

Prototype is difficult to get the cut and dry nonconformance found in the production world. You must be processed based IMO in order to do any good. Especially if you have design responsiblity. If something doesn't work you can change the design and never truely have nonconforming product to work with. I'll attach our old procedure (less than a year old) to show you our ground work system. I trust with that you will be able to understand how the above steps were developed.
Currently we are going through another revamp of the system to fine tune how our "First Time Quality Teams" will be reporting.
I'd be more than glad to assist Al.
:ko:

Attachments

A

Andrei Viorel - 2009

If the flow chart can help you, I'll be glad, even if I'm working in mass production.

Vio

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
qualprod Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E ISO 9001:2105 - Are OFI or Corrective actions required? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 55
M Informal Corrective Actions - AS9100DCl. 10.2.1 A-H Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
O Updating "opportunities" resulting from Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
MarilynJ6354 Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests General Auditing Discussions 6
Q Timeframe to resolve Corrective Actions (Undue Delay) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G Non Value Added Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
MarilynJ6354 Internal Audit Corrective Actions Internal Auditing 5
J Where to get meddev FSCA (Field Safety Corrective Actions) trainings EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B Verification of Corrective Actions based on Quantities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Benchmarking - Timely Closure of Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Singapore - New Field Safety Corrective Actions (FSCA) Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Corrective /Preventative/Rectification actions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S TS 16949 - 8.5.2.4 - When are Corrective Actions required IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
E Can corrective actions be written by and resolved by the same person? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
H Corrective and Preventive Actions Process Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L An Auditor gave a finding for Ineffective Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J How to assign a Leader to respond to Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
D Supplier Nonconformance & Corrective Actions Procedures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
O Corrective Actions identifed as Preventive Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
R Tracking Corrective Actions using an Excel sheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
jasonb067 Auditing Supplier Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
F Software or form/templates program to track Internal Audits and Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
P Can the Auditor close down the Corrective Actions? Internal Auditing 12
J Methods to control Efficiency of Corrective and Preventive Actions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
J Corrective and Preventive Actions Database in Excel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Management Team "Actions" vs. CAPA (Corrective Actions) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Free webinar on Corrective and Preventive Actions on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Measuring Monthly Progress in Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E SPC Corrective Actions - Best Practice with Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I RPN without Recommendation neither corrective actions FMEA and Control Plans 2
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
T System Corrective Actions when Conforming Product depends heavily on Inspection Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Scoring the "Quality" of Planned & Executed Corrective & Preventive Actions? Benchmarking 3
Q Corrective and Preventive Actions and Management Reviews ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
0 Corrective Actions - Communication Management & Tools Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
J Reviewing Effectiveness of Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
T Visually Presenting Effectiveness of Multiple Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Supplier Defective Product Return and Corrective Actions. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Drop Down ("Standard") Categories for Corrective Actions & Root Cause Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P Internal Audit Corrective Actions - Can a CB write an NC on an in-process CA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
V Quality Plan (Inspection, Recording and Corrective Actions) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2