Definition Corrective and Preventive Action definitions - ISO 9001 vs. ISO 14001

P

Pilot

Hi Marc

I forgot my password. The last time I visited your forum was a few years ago at that time I was involved in the ISO 9001 and FDA forum. I remember Don Winton, but I dont see his name any more. My user name was Monica Lewis (but I am still the same person I have only added my middle name). Today I working as an internal auditor. The company wants me to conduct internal audits according to ISO 9001 and 14001. I have been working a lot with ISO 9001. I have run into a problem regarding the definition of corrective and preventive action. I know that ISO 9001 has a standard regarding this definition and somebody told me that ISO 14001 also has a standard regarding the terminology. Is the definition (corrective and preventive action) the same in both standards or is it different?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
O

outoftown

ISO 8402 is the document for definitions of terminology in ISO 9001 which includes the definitions for CA and PA. I'm not familiar enough with EMS to know if they are the same. Based on an ISO 14000 Resource Directory I have, Corrective Action is "Any action taken to eliminate a nonconformance or deficiency in a system, especially addressing the root cause of that nonconformance". It certainly sounds similar. However, no info on preventive action in this book, only on prevention of pollution. Does anyone know if there is a definitions document like ISO 8402 for EMS? I am also curious.

[This message has been edited by outoftown (edited 07 April 2001).]

P

Pilot

Somebody told me that EMS has a terminology standard called 14050. Does it define corrective and preventive action? I would be happy if anyone in that case cite the definition.
Monica

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Is there a 14050 Terminology Standard?

I've never heard of 14050. Has anyone else?

J

Jim Biz

A web search produced this from what reads to be a pre-1998 webpage identification.. I've not seen one - nor do I know if it ever actually was published..

http://www.ansi.org - It was in /public/iso14000/docs/14050.html

ISO 14050 This document, when completed, will collect and compile into one glossary-type document all terms and definitions provided in the individual standards of the ISO 14000 series.

TITLE
Environmental management - Vocabulary

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Dormant for nearly 4 years, eh? I wonder if it's still on the agenda for completion. Maybe it's dead meat. My current understanding is the roadmap for 9001 and 14001 is that they will be merged next round. Several years down the road, but none the less.

E

energy

I'm Slow

Originally posted by Marc
My current understanding is the roadmap for 9001 and 14001 is that they will be merged next round. Several years down the road, but none the less.
Marc,

Can you elaborate on that statement? Would it be to suggest that if you are registered to ISO9001:2000, you will have to register to 14001?:ko: :smokin:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Don and your password

Originally posted by Pilot

Hi Marc

I forgot my password. The last time I visited your forum was a few years ago at that time I was involved in the ISO 9001 and FDA forum. I remember Don Winton, but I dont see his name any more. My user name was Monica Lewis (but I am still the same person I have only added my middle name). Today I working as an internal auditor.
If you're still around, you can have your password e-mailed to you. Your record was imported from the old forums softwear and you're listed as 'registered'.

Don Winton - a favourite of mine. Don's still here but goes by dWizard. Went through some life changes and lurks but told me he doesn't have the free time to participate any more. Don's contributions are an integral part of the early forums - I miss his participation a lot.

Yup - I remember you well. You joined waaaaay back in October 1998 and your last post was on 3 December 1999.

Stop by any time. Yup - we're still here!

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Re: I'm Slow

Originally posted by energy

Can you elaborate on that statement? Would it be to suggest that if you are registered to ISO9001:2000, you will have to register to 14001?
No. That is not what I'm saying. I'm suggesting that the roadmap for the standards is that when ISO 9001 is revised again 14001 will be integrated into ISO 9001 and they will become one and the same - probably retaining the ISO 9001 'name'. I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. :thedeal:

B

Bruce Wade

ISO 14050

ISO 14050:1998 was published (First edition 05-01-1998) and is part of the ISO 14000 family of standards. Copies of each are available from ISO or ANSI.

It is comprised of only 16 pages of side-by-side English and French language definitions of vocabulary terms.

"Preventive action" is not one of the terms defined in ISO 14050:1998. However, in ISO14001:1996, corrective action always follows nonconformance as in the following aspect quoted from the standard:
A.5.2: Nonconformance and corrective and preventive action

In establishing and maintaining procedures for investigating and correcting nonconformance, the organization should include these basic elements:

a) identifying the cause of the nonconformance;
b) identifying and implementing the necessary corrective action;
c) implementing or modifying controls necessary to avoid repetition of the nonconformance;
d) recording any changes in written procedures resulting from the corrective action.

Depending on the situation, this may be accomplished rapidly and with a minimum of formal planning or it may be a more complex and long-term activity. The associated documentation should be appropriate to the level of corrective action.
I believe this implies all environmental system nonconformances require a follow-up corrective action to ensure prevention of recurrence of the nonconformance. This is as contrasted with nonconformance in ISO 9001:2000 where the product may be reworked, reinspected and certified for use, without requirement for correfctive action, per se.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M Corrective and Preventive Action - Prevent Recurrence is not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
W Compliance to 8.5.2 Corrective action 8.5.3 Preventive action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T Corrective Action and Preventive Action in a Holding Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M What is Preventive Action taken as part of a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
N Corrective and Preventive Action in 8D Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
D CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Flow Chart example wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
J Can Corrective Action be the same as Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
sagai Preventive Action vs. Corrective Action as defined by 21CFR820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C Nonconformance, Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
N Combining both Corrective Action and Preventive action procedures into one SOP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
sagai Should Corrective Action be segregated from Preventive Action? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Electronic Corrective/Preventive Action Report for our Customer Service Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure for Customer Service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Q Recover a Damaged CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Project Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
P FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Corrective Action and Preventive Action for Operator Error (Cosmetic - Handling) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 15
B Questions regarding Non-Conformance, Corrective Action and Preventive Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Plan Templates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Standards & Templates for Tier 1 Supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
kedarg6500 Horizontal Deployment of Corrective Action - is it Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
W Are CAPAs (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Input or Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Q CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) NC recommended for IT, HR, ACC.? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Icy Mountain Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Action Database Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 23
Q Calibration Failure - CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P When is an issue a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
C FDA - CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) & Complaint Database 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Suggestions for a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Software Program Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 17
Q CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Guidance Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Issue Tracking and CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Management Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
N Nonconformance and Corrective Actions vs. Preventive Action - Problem Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
A When to take Corrective / Preventive Action and Continuous Improvements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA), 820.100 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Corrective Action, not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
V CAR (Corrective Action Request) vs. PAR (Preventive Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D CAPA (Corrective Preventive Action) Form for critique ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Rameshwar25 Difference between corrective action impact and preventive actions. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Procedures Separate or Combined Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9