COSHH Risk Assessment - Defining a grading system

N

Nette

Hi

We are reviewing our processes for COSHH within our organisation.

Our procedure is that when a new hazardous substance is brought on site a COSHH Risk Assessment is carried out that covers both environmental and health and safety. This assessment is then repeated periodically.

As part of this assessment we want to have some kind of grading system that takes into account the degree of hazard, exposure potential and controls in place. We are just not sure quite how to do this and were wondering if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking along the lines of RPN in FMEAs. I want something simple.

Can anyone help?

Jeanette

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: COSHH Risk Assessment

Hi

We are reviewing our processes for COSHH within our organisation.

Our procedure is that when a new hazardous substance is brought on site a COSHH Risk Assessment is carried out that covers both environmental and health and safety. This assessment is then repeated periodically.

As part of this assessment we want to have some kind of grading system that takes into account the degree of hazard, exposure potential and controls in place. We are just not sure quite how to do this and were wondering if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking along the lines of RPN in FMEAs. I want something simple.

Can anyone help?

Jeanette

COSHH - Control of substances hazardous to health?
Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, tis usually a good idea to spell out acronyms the first time round.

Could you use the rating systems that are used for llike the hazard communication labels?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: COSHH Risk Assessment

As an FYI to folks outside the UK - CoSHH - The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 is a United Kingdom Statutory Instrument that stipulates general requirements on employers to protect employees and other persons from the hazards of substances used at work by risk assessment, control of exposure, health surveillance and incident planning.

Wikipedia reference-linkCOSHH

Here are a few things I found. I'm not sure if they'll help or not.

Attachments

• coshh.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 276
  • coshhraguide.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 245
  • peptide_risk.pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 257

Randy

Super Moderator
Try to obtain a copy of BS8800:2004 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - Guide and check out "Annex E". You'll get eveything you need there

N

Nette

Sorry should have put Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.

Thanks for your help. The attachements have been a good help and I will try and get hold of BS8800:2004 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - Guide and check out "Annex E".

Cheers guys.

Top Bottom