Cosmetic Shelf Life Testing

Hi all!

I have two formulations of a cosmetic "soap" (not a true soap based on the reg. definition) that are identical in all ways but the flavor. I have years worth of shelf life data on the original formula flavor, and am trying to determine how risky it is to use that data to infer on the shelf life of the new flavored formula? The original formula has never had any consumer issues, nor any positive micros testing, etc. (not to say it couldn't happen!). It would save thousands in testing, which is what my board is particularly interested in.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Kind of, both provide a statement of "The character of this product will not change significantly for at least 12 months when stored..." Both are also from the same manufacturer. The original formula achieved a shelf life of 4 years beyond the raw material's.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all!

I have two formulations of a cosmetic "soap" (not a true soap based on the reg. definition) that are identical in all ways but the flavor. I have years worth of shelf life data on the original formula flavor, and am trying to determine how risky it is to use that data to infer on the shelf life of the new flavored formula? The original formula has never had any consumer issues, nor any positive micros testing, etc. (not to say it couldn't happen!). It would save thousands in testing, which is what my board is particularly interested in.
Systems shall support two pronged approach
NO.1. its between regulatory requirements and expectations. Requirements are not always explicitly spelt out; and where required, the practices to be complied with
No.2 is the "risk to the product and process"; viz., consider the nature of the new flavour, interaction of the flavour & ingredients; effect of the process on it etc.,
imho, based on the risk assessment, we are required to place the batches on stability, albeit with reduced frequency and scope of testing. whether we perform the analysis or ; not they will help as stand by for any possible complaints/problems which could be discovered .

Likely, the fragrance concentration would be a very low concentration in the overall formulation of the soap. As long as the fragrance doesn't somehow degrade over time into a compound that causes some sort of skin irritation (very unlikely), then I think there is little risk in leveraging existing stability data, as opposed to running a complete new stability study. It is possible that the soap no longer has a scent after aging a period of time, so any information you can obtain from the fragrance vendor regarding shelf-life of the raw fragrance would be useful, as well.

Hi All! This was an interesting thread. @MadRob, the question you pose pertains to stability. Are you also looking to take a risk-based approach to justify eliminating other type of tests? Any chance you can share your risk assessment template? I was looking to create one that would help create a testing plan whenever there are minor product changes.
Actually, any information anyone can provide would be helpful. I work for a company that conducts all required testing on all the products launched, regardless of how minor the changes are. Thank you.

@cosmeticqg For this particular cosmetic we only need to conduct stability testing, but I will likely end up doing a modified version of our risk assessment. Unfortunately our risk assessments are more relevant to medical devices, and I am not able to share them. But I would also be interested in hearing about or seeing any other perspectives to this!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Apparently the fragrant is mixed with other ingredients during production, so on top of considering the fragrant's effective life and it not degrading into a harmful compound (as unlikely as that is to happen), consideration should be given to any possible interactions with the other ingredients in the finished product, and effects on the manufacturing process, both short- and long-term (over the finished product shelf- and use-life).

Shelf life is typically a specification performance requirement. Addressing such a requirement is typically part of design verification. Theoretical analysis is typically much more robust, as well as more economical than testing. Shelf life testing, be it real-time or accelerated ageing, is a kind of testing, so it's most likely less robust and possibly more costly than a well-thought-through desktop analysis (not to mention longer in duration).

I recommend a thorough theoretical chemical analysis, to address any interactions between all ingredients, including environmental effects, during production and over time thereafter (don't forget transport and transient storage, which often involve uncontrolled temperatures etc.). It's important to account for the manufacturing environment and effects, as part of this analysis. A theoretical analysis would make any subsequent risk analysis much more informed and robust, and would make much more sense to me than rushing to do lots and lots of testing (creating a huge heap of data as a distraction, instead of hitting at the source with an elegant blow).

Hopefully suppliers will be able and willing to support such analysis with formulation data.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I agree with Ronen E. The fragrance is different because of what? If it is a naturally occurring substance such as vanilla, its chemical interaction might differ from another other fragrance such as citrus. The processing results could differ, long term stability might vary. Further chemistry study and testing is required to understand it fully.

Thanks, @MadRob! I think one of the problems my company faces is that we have a 'turn-key' model, where our suppliers are technically responsible for providing products that meet our (manufacturer/customer) requirements. However, we also have a strong new product introduction team who often disagrees with the suppliers on how development takes place. This has created much tension over the years and suppliers are not as open to sharing design files. Ronen E., you said it well, suppliers have to agree with these type of analysis.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Industry Standards for Cosmetic Inspection Criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Regulatory requirements for electrical cosmetic appliances US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
I Writing a Cosmetic Criteria for Switches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Placement of cosmetic products on EU market as medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
GoSpeedRacer Validation of Processes 7.5.6 - Do cosmetic welds need process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Cosmetic Standard for Sheets of Extruded Plastic Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Cosmetic Inspection of Plastic Injection Molded Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Stuck at 'Analyse' stage of DMAIC Improvement Cycle on Cosmetic Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
Q Please suggest how to improve Cosmetic Visual Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Cosmetic Visual Inspection Specification Advantages Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Regulatory Aspects of Co-Packaging Medical Device and Cosmetic Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Human Factors Testing for CE Marking of a Cosmetic Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
S Cosmetic Inspection (scratch, black dot, burr) Standard in Manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Do Cosmetic GMPs apply for Fragrance Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Roberticus Blacklight Cosmetic Inspections of Stainless Steel Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Corrective Action and Preventive Action for Operator Error (Cosmetic - Handling) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 15
C MSA on Attribute Data - Can use Different Parts with Different Cosmetic Issues? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Korea? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Japan? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
M SOPs for a new Cosmetic Product Development Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
K Cosmetic Product Registration - South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
H Business Process for Cosmetic Manufacturer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Sterilize or Disinfect? Research Cosmetic Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Plate Glass: Cosmetic Inspection for Scratches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Eliminating Cosmetic Issues and Customer Complaints Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
R Cleaning Validation Protocol in a Cosmetic company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Cosmetic defects on chrome plating - Chrome plating visual standards Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Ajit Basrur Approximately $2 Million of Potentially Harmful "Cosmetic" Eye Product Seized US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur Trending segregated for cosmetic and functional dppm? Automotive requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
K Cosmetic Specifications - Seeking good example of a cosmetic inspection standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Class I Shelf-life requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Off the shelf tablet - how to handle it? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K Definition and Example of Shelf life, Expiry date, Expected service life and Lifetime EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
P Demonstrate shelf life per ISO 11140-1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R Shelf life of product Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Extending Shelf Life US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W AS9100 Shelf Life Extension or Exemption AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Pharmaceutical Shelf Life Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Form of real time study for establish shelf time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
U EN 455-4 Accelerated Shelf Life tests for Medical Gloves Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9