Cosmetic Specifications - Seeking good example of a cosmetic inspection standard

K

kirkr99 - 2010

Hello all,

Before i submit my request, here's the story.
I have recently began working for a company who produce various metal enclosures. These enclosures are supplied in various finishes: Stainless Steel, Zinc anneal, power coated/painted steel etc.
I have now been asked to create a cosmetic acceptance specification (cosmetic inspection standard) that can be used by the operators to verify the power coated/painted finished parts they produce.
So my question is, does anyone have a good example of a cosmetic inspection standard that they wouldn't mind sharing with me?
In a previous life, i worked for a supplier to Sun Microsystems (who used a cosmetic acceptance specification supplied by Sun) but unfortunately i do not have a copy of it now.
Therefore, and guidance/examples would be appreciated in order that i can work out where to start!

Thanks in advance,

Kirkr99

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello

I wonder how large your organization is kirkr99, and if the enclosures are also welded in one way or another.

As a wild guess, I would say it sounds like your company is making electrical boxes--I'm curious.

I ask more questions because a mid-size company making and finishing weldments as product is going to have a far different size and type of cosmetic standard as Harley-Davidson's or Sun Microsystems. One look at H-D's standard is kind of awe inspiring. They reference books on painting and describe the light and exposure of surfaces... wow

Perhaps you could tell us the experience of the operators and culture at the company, and someone could surely tell you some more specific things about wet paint/powdercoat... weld slag BB's... or something more specific to the type of product you're working on.

You probably know these already and are looking for a good structure.

I always liked the idea of having actual samples of product with good and borderline acceptable quality. You could back up the acceptability of something by a brief standard, such as defects per square foot. If such a thing were feasible in your quality system, it would be quick and very visual every day.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Regulatory requirements for electrical cosmetic appliances US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Writing a Cosmetic Criteria for Switches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Placement of cosmetic products on EU market as medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
GoSpeedRacer Validation of Processes 7.5.6 - Do cosmetic welds need process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Cosmetic Standard for Sheets of Extruded Plastic Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Cosmetic Inspection of Plastic Injection Molded Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Stuck at 'Analyse' stage of DMAIC Improvement Cycle on Cosmetic Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
Q Please suggest how to improve Cosmetic Visual Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Cosmetic Visual Inspection Specification Advantages Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Cosmetic Spec - Convincing Management Visual Inspection Standard is Necessary Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Regulatory Aspects of Co-Packaging Medical Device and Cosmetic Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Human Factors Testing for CE Marking of a Cosmetic Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
S Cosmetic Inspection (scratch, black dot, burr) Standard in Manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Do Cosmetic GMPs apply for Fragrance Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Roberticus Blacklight Cosmetic Inspections of Stainless Steel Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Corrective Action and Preventive Action for Operator Error (Cosmetic - Handling) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 15
C MSA on Attribute Data - Can use Different Parts with Different Cosmetic Issues? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Korea? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Japan? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
M SOPs for a new Cosmetic Product Development Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
K Cosmetic Product Registration - South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
H Business Process for Cosmetic Manufacturer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Sterilize or Disinfect? Research Cosmetic Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Plate Glass: Cosmetic Inspection for Scratches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Eliminating Cosmetic Issues and Customer Complaints Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
R Cleaning Validation Protocol in a Cosmetic company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Cosmetic defects on chrome plating - Chrome plating visual standards Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Ajit Basrur Approximately $2 Million of Potentially Harmful "Cosmetic" Eye Product Seized US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur Trending segregated for cosmetic and functional dppm? Automotive requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M MDR "Common Specifications" (CS) - If not standards, then what? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
DuncanGibbons OEM specifications such as AIPS spec from Airbus AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
E Packaging Specifications Mercedes-Benz U.S. International IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Taking exception to customer requirements or specifications & AS9100D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Informational EU – Draft Functional specifications for the European Database on Medical Devices (Eudamed) – First release (High(1)) to be audited Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
D Raw Material chemical/Tensile Requirements Specifications (QQ-A-250/4, etc) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
2 ASTM or ISO Specifications on Prints Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Control of COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) Specifications ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Procedures from recognized standards or specifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Test Specifications based on Vehicle Type Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
P Help with 8.5.1 regarding Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Technical Documentation - Manufacturing Specifications EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z How to Contractually Agree on Specifications for Raw Material Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15