Cost for PPAP - Customer pays for samples and PPAP documentation from supplier

B

blue_cove

Hello,

Few days ago I asked my supplier for PPAP documentation on level 3. The supplier answer me that he will prepare documentation (not full documentation) and initial-samples but I must prepare order for it and pay for everything :mad:
I check our contract with this supplier and there is a point connected with cost for initial samples, there is also a note that we are responsible for introducing all tests. I would like to ask you - it is normal that we customer must pay for samples and PPAP documentation from our suppliers ?? Also about this test - I'm not from purchasing department and I wasn't present during preparation this contract, but for me it is not normal that we must introduced test instead of our supplier :mg:

How is it solved it in your companies ?

Thank you for every advice.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Cost for PPAP

We have also charged an additional fee for these kinds of requests. We are non-automotive, this is not a normal standard to follow in our industry and takes a lot of time and preparation and not just everybody has the knowledge needed to complete these. So, I would say this is not out of the ordinary if you are non-automotive.

B

blue_cove

We are company from automotive area and as I know this supplier is also automotive.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I got nuthin' then. sorry. I guess it might be better for them to just raise their prices and not say that they are surcharging you for PPAP, huh?:bonk:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
This question highlights a problem that exists in a large number of companies, the lack of internal communication.
In a lot of cases , Purchasing or Marketing have no connection with Quality etc and promise without understanding.

To the issue, some companies do abuse the notion of "free" samples and expect a constant flow of these samples.
It is reasonable to limit the number of free samples.
Why did purchasing make an agreement which affects you with out you knowing.

B

blue_cove

It is hard to say. From what I know our purchasing department never establish anything with another departments. That's way now from time to time we have problems :frust:
If I ask my supplier for PPAP it happens that I have a lot of problems with that because it wasn't written in contract :(
That's way I started to asking if it is normal that I must pay for initial-samples or even for PPAP documentation.

M

Murphys Law

For custom business where we jointly work to develop a product, we give full PPAP support. For catalog device that we control datasheet, we only provided minimal PPAP support free.

I am advocating charging certain customers who are buying the catalog but want full support. It really comes down to purchasing clout: Who is the biggest: The customer or the supplier?

If you believe you have some leverage, just forward details onto your purchaser who will then take it up with your suppliers sales interface. They may waive it. If insist on it, then your purchaser needs to bear than it mind next time they deal with the supplier.

There is a cost of putting together a PPAP. Either you or your supplier absorbs that.

In other customer bases, we have similar discussions where customers may request additional testing that is not part of our normal qualifications or industry standards. Depending on the business behind it, we may go ahead and do it but business manager makes that decision as they will fund that.

P

prototyper

Hello,

Few days ago I asked my supplier for PPAP documentation on level 3. The supplier answer me that he will prepare documentation (not full documentation) and initial-samples but I must prepare order for it and pay for everything :mad:
I check our contract with this supplier and there is a point connected with cost for initial samples, there is also a note that we are responsible for introducing all tests. I would like to ask you - it is normal that we customer must pay for samples and PPAP documentation from our suppliers ?? Also about this test - I'm not from purchasing department and I wasn't present during preparation this contract, but for me it is not normal that we must introduced test instead of our supplier :mg:

How is it solved it in your companies ?

Thank you for every advice.
Your suppliers aren't running a charity! Either you pay for PPAP (including samples) up front or they will amortize it into the piece price. The only thing wrong here is that the agreement on how you will pay was not tied up in the contract.

R

RandT

In my opinion, it is legitimate to charge for the sample parts at the regular piece price. They are production parts ordered just like any others.

As far as preparing the documentation and doing all the required testing etc., I would call that the cost of doing business. Obviously, if it is so defined in the contract than there is no need for negotiation. I understand if there is testing above and beyond normal requirements that is a different situation.

I think the supplier is being a bit foolish.They may very well want to request their own internal process change at one point in the future. I wonder what their reaction would be if you then charged them for handling and approving their process change PPAP?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Cost of Deviating Away From PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
K PPAP Cost - Cost of PPAP should be included in the quote? APQP and PPAP 5
G Cost Of PPAP - What is the average cost? Is there a Yearly cost? APQP and PPAP 8
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Estimated cost for MDR certification Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
JoCam Medical Device Recalls - Manufacturer's obligation for covering cost EU Medical Device Regulations 17
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
T MDSAP AO Cost ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M What is a reasonable MDSAP cost? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Warranty costs - What is your definition of a "warranty cost"? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Establishing a monthly scrap cost target Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
S Handling Cost of Sales requests for Customer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S MDSAP cost per jurisdiction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C What is your Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Sean Kelley Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N What is the Cost of Tracking Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Cost to a dealer for a "Declaration of Conformity " "Gost-R" in Ukraine? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W How much would it cost to setup a Quality System for a Repackager or Relabeler? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
JoCam Cost of maintaining CE Mark Regulatory Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Cost of DMF Type III preparation and submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
Marc The Cost of Living - 1938 in the US Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Reducing Cost of Poor Quality - Your opinion requested Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
L OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and Cost Savings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Wes Bucey A "Feel Good" story - 3D Printing Creates Low-Cost Prosthetic Fingers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M Reducing cost of IEC 60601 3rd edition testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Geoff Cotton What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ? Benchmarking 2
C Suggestions on Sample Plans for High Volume/Low Cost/Low Risk Components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Cost Factors of Iso 8 vs. ISO 8/9 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
Sean Kelley Difference between COQ (Cost of Quality) vs COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
QMMike What is the most cost effective SPC software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Cost of business lost / opportunity lost? How to address? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
S Cost Targets as Design Inputs in your DHF (Design History File) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
W Rental of Scaffolding - Contract is COST PLUS? Service Industry Specific Topics 4