Cotton Swab Method Validation for clean uniforms, bins and poly bags

C

Chithra86

Hi, my company has been practicing cotton swab method for clean uniforms, bins and poly bags. The same method has been in use for more than 10 years, and i plan to re validate the method. Since, i am new to Microbiology, i am not very sure how do i perform the validation for cotton swab method. Any guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day Chithra86,

I can not guarantee this is the current approved method, but I found The Microbiology Guidelines document: OFFICIAL METHODS OF ANALYSIS (Appendix J, 2012) which talks about swabbing, with specific reference in page 6:
Sponges and swabs are premoistened with a neutralizing broth, such as Dey-Engley (2), prior to sampling. The entire sampling area is sponged or swabbed in both a horizontal and vertical motion. Use the sponges to sample a 100 cm 2 (4′′ ? 4′′) area and swabs to sample a 5 cm 2 (1′′ ? 1′′) area. Sponges/swabs containing samples are placed back into their individual respective bag or tube and held at room temperature for 2 hours prior to initiation of testing.

I hope this helps!

C

Chithra86

Hi, from our historical data, we have never encountered any growth from the swab test method, and now i am not able to perform a recovery if i am not getting and, unless i perform the artificial innoculum. But as far as bin/uniform is concerned, i do not think its feasible to perform it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom