Counterfeit Parts - AS9100 D Cl. 8.1.4 - Can I claim no applicability?

Y

yakesm

As this relates to section 4.3, Can I claim no applicability to this section if I do not own the hardware and only provide a portion of the requirements of the product (BP notes i.e. (job shop) coating, heat treat (special processes))?

Interested in how other companies are applying this in similar situations.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We have a counterfeit prevention procedure, but we had it long before we looked at AS9100 (it was customer driven). For us the most relevant is due to the raw material we purchase. It's actually very easy to do some minimal counterfeit prevention. One place to start is GIDEP.

I know that doesn't answer your question but you might find you spend more energy avoiding it than you will minimally fulfilling it.

priyanath

Starting to get Involved
We follow AS5553, AS6174 & AS6081 standards for Counterfeit parts prevention program. Yes GIDEP (Government-Industry Data Exchange Program) is a good source. AS9100D has included Prevention of Counterfeit parts under 8.1.4 but has not made any reference these standards

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
As this relates to section 4.3, Can I claim no applicability to this section if I do not own the hardware and only provide a portion of the requirements of the product (BP notes i.e. (job shop) coating, heat treat (special processes))?

Interested in how other companies are applying this in similar situations.
Q- do you provide any material to the product or is it all provided by the customer...

If you do... how can you verify that the material is not counterfit

J

joburum

Material is really the only area we look at for counterfeit protection. Even with that we review certs from our long trusted suppliers. No need to send material for testing or test in house unless "critical".

J

joburum

A simple counterfeit policy/statement in your Supplier Quality Flowdown and making employees "Aware" of counterfeit material/part risk is suitable.

We do not test raw material here either as nothing is considered critical. To appease the auditor however we may send one random piece out for testing just to validate the supplier checks out ok. Not needed though.

sunnycosta

Starting to get Involved
I am the QA of a CNC machine shop. We machine parts based on customer's drawings, models and 99% of the time, it is customer supplied material. Before we cut an "actual" part, we cut on test material, to ascertain if the part is good, whether the CNC programs (we do the programming) are correct. The part is checked on the CMM before we give the go ahead to start production. Is the part cut on test material, a counterfeit part ?
We segregate this part by keeping it on a test piece rack (cabinet) which is locked.
Please advise.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am the QA of a CNC machine shop. We machine parts based on customer's drawings, models and 99% of the time, it is customer supplied material. Before we cut an "actual" part, we cut on test material, to ascertain if the part is good, whether the CNC programs (we do the programming) are correct. The part is checked on the CMM before we give the go ahead to start production. Is the part cut on test material, a counterfeit part ?
We segregate this part by keeping it on a test piece rack (cabinet) which is locked.
Please advise.
Definition of Counterfeit = AS9100D

"3.1 Counterfeit Part

An unauthorized copy, imitation, substitute, or modified part (e.g., material, part, component), which is knowingly misrepresented as a specified genuine part of an original or authorized manufacturer.

NOTE: Examples of a counterfeit part can include, but are not limited to, the false identification of marking or labeling, grade, serial number, date code, documentation, or performance characteristics."

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Please advise.
Not counterfeit unless you knowingly try to pass it off as good, compliant product. BUT, you had better control it really, really well (i.e. multiple control measures) to avoid accidental mixing with "good" product.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L Sources for Searching Old Electronic Parts Specs (Counterfeit Inspection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Customer Requirement to Detect and Preclude use of Counterfeit & Used Parts Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
D Counterfeit Parts and Materials Programs Requirements Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
5 Counterfeit Parts Mitigation Plan/Procedure Details Requirement(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Counterfeit Parts - Neil Felahy Sentenced to 20 Months in Prison World News 4
P Developing a Counterfeit Parts Prevention Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
B Does anyone know when AS6081 (Counterfeit Electronic Parts) will be released? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS5553B Counterfeit Prevention - Traceability requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C How to Identify Counterfeit Medications (drugs)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
T Implementing a Suspect Counterfeit Identification Program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
WCHorn Counterfeit Avoidance Program - AS6174 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ERAI - Counterfeit Component Database (Listed on page 39 of AS5553A) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R IPC Counterfeit Components Identification Training DVD-166C Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
W Chinese Distributor Making Counterfeit Products - Class I sterile products China Medical Device Regulations 2
A Raytheon Q note WE on Contracts - Counterfeit Material Avoidance Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
AnaMariaVR2 Drug Quality and Counterfeit Drugs in Nigeria & Handheld Spectrometers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S $15.9 Million in Counterfeit Microchips Sold World News 10
T How to ensure that counterfeit goods do not enter into our supply chain? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
Y Finding counterfeit coins Brain Teasers and Puzzles 5
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Defib-proof applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D 3 Companies - Medical device parts and substances - Responsibilities EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Accessible parts per 8.4.2 b) - Touch currents in combination with MOOP or MOPP? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Traceability of component parts - Bolts, screws and washers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0