Course Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
This forum has been established for the students of the Richland WA and Yakima WA branches of City University (headquartered in Bellevue WA). The aim is to provide a location for students to continue in class discussions, and to be able to interface with professionals in the "real world".

This forum is for the January - March 2005 quarter.

The course title is "Operational Management" and does include application of Dr. Deming's 14 Points. I will post a copy of the syllabus shortly.

Last edited:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Course Syllabus

Please see attachment.

In addition, up to 10 points extra credit on the final exam grade are available. One point will be granted per week for at least one posting on the Cove discussing course material. The post must be more substantive than simply "me too".

Your introductory post counts, and one point per week for weeks one through nine of material.

Attachments

M

mark child

Introduction

Hello,

My name is Mark Child. I am a Unit Manager at Agrinorthwest.
This is my 13th class of 15 at City-U. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
In our last class meeting I learned a fascinating fact about myself. I belong to the 2 percent of the the world population that feeds everybody. Scary.

M

Michaelar

Management / leadership

Steve Prevette said:
This forum has been established for the students of the Richland WA and Yakima WA branches of City University (headquartered in Bellevue WA). The aim is to provide a location for students to continue in class discussions, and to be able to interface with professionals in the "real world".

This forum is for the January - March 2005 quarter.

The course title is "Operational Management" and does include application of Dr. Deming's 14 Points. I will post a copy of the syllabus shortly.
a quick question! do you in your course discuss at all, the difference as well as the compination of good management as well as good leadership? maybe I should ask the cove, I find there is alot of good leadership out there however really poor management. or you have really good management but poor leadership. I believe teaching a compination of both good management with good leadership is so important in the fields that we are in.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Michaelar said:
a quick question! do you in your course discuss at all, the difference as well as the compination of good management as well as good leadership? maybe I should ask the cove, I find there is alot of good leadership out there however really poor management. or you have really good management but poor leadership. I believe teaching a compination of both good management with good leadership is so important in the fields that we are in.
Yes, this is certainly something I will be discussing with the students. Dr. Russ Ackoff supplies an interesting distinction between administration, management, and leadership. And you do need all 3 in some amount.

M

Michaelar

management / leadership

Steve Prevette said:
Yes, this is certainly something I will be discussing with the students. Dr. Russ Ackoff supplies an interesting distinction between administration, management, and leadership. And you do need all 3 in some amount.
I believe in anything Administration plays a huge roll, however one thing does come to mind from experience - Administration must be aware and cautious concerning customer confidentiality

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Michaelar said:
I believe in anything Administration plays a huge roll, however one thing does come to mind from experience - Administration must be aware and cautious concerning customer confidentiality
I may be mangling it, but Ackoff defines the 3 terms as:

Administration - A 3rd party making a group of people do things a certain way. Such as accounting standards.

Management - A person making people in their group do things a certain way.

Leadership - A person causing people in their group to want to do things a certain way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom