SBS - The best value in QMS software

Covid discussion in other countries

john.b

Involved In Discussions
Greetings! Been awhile. A notice had me check in here, which isn't mostly about process issues, but I'll start with a short update about that.

We've been working on a GDPR derivative compliance process a lot, for the related Thai law (PDPA). A sister company implemented ISO 27701 last year, a Personal Information Management System, which we supported. We're doing a bit with anti-corruption formal process just now. We have 20k and 27k already certified, for a data center company.

On the main personal front, I was going to update how covid goes where I am now, in Thailand. Vaccinations just aren't mainstream at all yet, but then disease impact also isn't. Thailand did a hard lockdown in March through May in 2020 and the disease just wasn't here until it returned in December. We traveled a lot within Thailand last year. The renewed outbreak, limited mostly to an immigrant community in a province not far from Bangkok, led to partial shut-down in January to February, and status isn't clear now but close to it. 90-some people have died from corona virus in Thailand, officially, and the real number is probably low.

I talk to people in other countries in Asia regularly, especially in India, Vietnam, Laos, and China, and their experiences all vary. It was only ever widespread in India, and something really strange happened there related to a drop-off in case counts. Maybe a change in testing process just changed the official counts, or maybe something atypical happened related to real exposure. Since they don't keep much in the way of cause of death stats in India that impact never was known, and never will be.

Vietnam barely had virus impact, as we also didn't here. For the same reason; they shut down the country completely, both initially and when re-exposure happened. I really don't know how vaccination is going to go in both places. It's problematic, not necessarily mostly for getting the vaccines here, but related to an overall cost. Poverty isn't an issue here to the same degree it is in India, where the poorest half are getting by on very little, but relative wealth is lower than in the US. The government supports health care for the poor but it's complicated how that works out, too long to really go into.

The main impact has been foreign tourism shutting down. At a guess Thailand parted with about 15% of it's economic base related to that, and other forms of international contact and indirect impact might have eliminated another 5%. That's a guess; it could've been higher. Thailand re-opened with a mandatory two week quarantine at the end of last year but that's too much to ask of tourists.

In a sense that impact feels lower because it's limited to only some segments of the economy, not a general hit, and it didn't roll through to broader impact as much as it seemed it would. I really expected this to trigger a real estate bubble crash that I had been expecting, but that didn't happen. What do I know about such things, I guess.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Indeed, these countries have nearly two decades of experience in dealing with Sars type epidemics.

...not sure why this region didn’t develop a vaccine.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
China does produce a vaccine. I thought India had been working on one, and I've heard a Thai version is under development.

john.b

Involved In Discussions
So it was like some sort of a contest, instead of about resolving health impact? The US has experienced around 550,000 deaths, and Thailand around 100 (with both real numbers higher). If it is to be taken as a contest it will take creative scoring for the US to have won.

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
but why suffer nearly two decades of Sars before developing a vaccine?
I won't defend or criticize the Indian government for its policies on healthcare here. But, what I speculate, from the lack of greater interest on developing a SARS vaccine, is probably that the widespread need wasn't there until 2020. As can be seen here. Additionally, we also can't say that infrastructure wasn't there as even if we ignore the manufacturing capability of "Serum Institute of India" (besides Covaxin) currently 4 more indigenous vaccines are in the pipeline for the future demand.

Last edited:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you, here we see the key reason reported in Wikipedia:

“As of 2020, there is no cure or protective vaccine for SARS that has been shown to be both safe and effective in humans. According to research papers published in 2005 and 2006, the identification and development of novel vaccines and medicines to treat SARS was a priority for governments and public health agencies around the world. In early 2004, an early clinical trial on volunteers was planned. A major researcher's 2016 request, however, demonstrated that no field-ready SARS vaccine had been completed because likely market-driven priorities had ended funding.”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Examples to mitigate risk from Covid ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Ed Panek COVID 19 Exception and MDSAP Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
N Covid-19 vaccine Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
optomist1 Interesting Discussion Combating COVID 19 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
G We want to add Covid-2 /19 to our air filter 510 K Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
qualprod Valid actions for not recurrence (Covid-19) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G IATF Rules for COVID 5th revision - Re-certification audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Revision 5 to IATF Coronavirus Pandemic (Covid -19) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Inggo28 Products Potentially Infected by Covid - 19 Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 17
shimonv Worthwhileness for a small startups to apply for EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) for COVID-19 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 17
M Extraordinary measures due to COVID Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Govind Informational ISO COVID-19 response: freely available ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
M Covid Free Statements for Implants and sales reps. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Marc Predicting COVID-19 Aspects - Pandemic Modeling (Easter 2020) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
K EUA for COVID-19 Prognostics Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
K EQMS provider's pledge to COVID-19 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Tagin Is SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 on your risk register? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
R AMS2750 rev F discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Search - Search for Discussion Threads started by a specific User Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A Other Discussion Boards - Internal Auditor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
H Dog and Pets Discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc Food Processors and Blades - Weekend Discussion After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
B Discussion on TC 176 and ISO 9001:2015 8.7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
A Microcontroller: Discussion about EASA CM - SWCEH - 001 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Thoughts about Discussion Forums Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Is there a Canadian Aviation Regulations discussion forum? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3