Covid Free Statements for Implants and sales reps.

mpfizer

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

How does one certify that implants used in orthopaedic surgery and sales reps, are covid free .... hospitals have started to ask these questions .....is there a SOP or protocol or any standard to follow ?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks

michelle

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You use these implants in your sales reps?!?! Sorry, that's how I read that sentence. :LOL:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure you can say it's C19-free. C19 remains active on different surfaces for varying amounts of times. Technically, you could argue that if it's shipped after the applicable amount of time, then it's free...until someone touches the product or the box as part of the delivery process.

Can you share a request or two coming from the hospital? Word for word? Is it about your implant or about ensuring your people who make the product are properly screened?

mpfizer

Involved In Discussions
You use these implants in your sales reps?!?! Sorry, that's how I read that sentence. :LOL:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure you can say it's C19-free. C19 remains active on different surfaces for varying amounts of times. Technically, you could argue that if it's shipped after the applicable amount of time, then it's free...until someone touches the product or the box as part of the delivery process.

Can you share a request or two coming from the hospital? Word for word? Is it about your implant or about ensuring your people who make the product are properly screened?
The request from hospital is as follows

"Please certify that the implants supplied by your company are covid free and the slaes reps. coming into the hospital are also covid free."

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
"Please certify that the implants supplied by your company are covid free and the slaes reps. coming into the hospital are also covid free."

Good day @mpfizer ;
Some considerations...
1- What does your organization current deploy within your internal processes (i.e. how is your organization currently addressing clause 6.4.2 and 7.5.2 and 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 and 7.5.7 ...assuming some/all are applicable to your organization).?

2- What controls does your organization currently deploy within your supply chain [i.e. sales rep] (if applicable to this discussion) ?

3- Regardless of the customer, what are the risks to your organization and how is your organization responding to those risks?

4- What data do you have with which to make your decisions? (as referred to by @RoxaneB , different surfaces, environmental conditions, etc..etc.., can play a significant role in the "life" of this and other viruses).

Yes, your organization is required to meet requirements of the customer, governing international standards, and applicable governmental and/or statutory rules. Regardless, I would council that your organization consider what IT needs to do to eliminate and mitigate the risks that are presented. This may require your organization to actually go beyond what is stipulated by others.

What ever determination your organization makes, I would recommend that it be made sustainable as part of your management system AND there is reference to the data and/or evidentiary materials that support and defend your organization's position.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I would define "COVID-free" and then certify that implants and sales reps meet my definition:

"We certify that we take and record the temperature of each of our sales reps every day. Any sales rep whose temperature exceeds 99.5 degrees is not permitted to visit hospitals." Best scenario would be to find out what procedure the hospitals have for "certifying" that their staff are "covid free," and do that.

"We certify that all our implants are [describe a process that is recognized as effective at killing COVID-19 virus] prior to distribution"

Either they accept that or they don't. I think a claim that anything or anyone is "covid free" is a false claim.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
The request from hospital is as follows

I have never heard about the request for Covid-19 free. See attached statement from BD, a major medical device manufacturer and they do not have such a statement.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Inggo28 Products Potentially Infected by Covid - 19 Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
shimonv Worthwhileness for a small startups to apply for EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) for COVID-19 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 17
M Extraordinary measures due to COVID Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Govind Informational ISO COVID-19 response: freely available ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
Marc Predicting COVID-19 Aspects - Pandemic Modeling (Easter 2020) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
K EUA for COVID-19 Prognostics Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
K EQMS provider's pledge to COVID-19 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Tagin Is SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 on your risk register? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
N IPC-A-630 - Is this free or do i really need to pay for it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Certifcate of Free Sale Listing Physical Site from Belgium Competant Authority EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Free Sales certificates for Medical Devices - List of countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
John C. Abnet Free Social Distancing Online Q&A session on 2 April 2020 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
B OSHA Top Ten webinar, March 31 (free online) [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B Free downloadable AS9100D audit checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
moounir Medical Device Nomenclature - Free of Charge? (European Union MDR MDR 2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
JoCam Medical Device Certificates of Free Sale - Distributors EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Are we required to obtain a Certificate of Free Sales for export to China? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
A Free software similar to Microsoft Project - Any suggestion? APQP and PPAP 5
M Information Required in Certificate of Free Sale Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
M Free Risk Management Webinar - Design for Quality - May 2017 Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
Z Labeling Requirements for Free Samples supporting Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Barrier Free vs. Wheelchair Accessible - Differences Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Avoiding Pitfalls in ISO 9001:2015 Transition - Free webinar Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
L Replacement of SAC305 Solder for SN100C Lead Free Solder? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Richard Regalado ISO/IEC 27001:2016 Overview and Vocabulary - FREE! IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
J0anne Alternatives to 'Latex Free' Labelling Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
P Does lead free solder rust? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Over 2,300 MS-DOS games now completely free to play at Internet Archive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Free Sale Certificate - China, Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
S Certification that our Vaporizers are free from Bacteria Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
Chennaiite Copyrighted Standards available for free download - Is there a caveat? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 19
A IEC 60601-2-24 Question: Free Flow Clamp on Set? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Legislation Register in Dubai (Free Zone) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1