Cp & Cpk - How are you calculating the standard deviation?

M

MSHELLEY

WE REGULARLY COLLECT DATA FROM CONTROL CHARTS AND COMPUTE THE CAPABILITY INDEXES Cp & Cpk. WE ALSO COLLECT DATA FROM DOCK AUDITS AND COMPUTE THE SAME INDEXES. WHY DO THE ONES FROM THE CHARTS ALWAYS HIGHER. ASSUMPTION IS THAT ALL DATA IS GOOD.

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

If I'm understanding the scenario correctly, I would wonder how are you calculating the std. dev? If you are using r-bar /d2 for the control charts, and experience mean shifts, then the est. of you std dev. can be lower than the dock audit if all the parts are thrown into one "subgroup" and std dev. calculated for the lot. Lower std dev, higher Cpk. Do the process charts show control?

D

Don Winton

Laura brings up a good point. I also would question the standard deviation calculations on the dock audits. Typically, when your sample sizes are less than 60, you must use an unbiased estimate of sigma. With control charts, this is not a problem, but with audits, caution must be exercised.

For more information regarding process capability, go to http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files and download CPK.PDF. This paper explains the unbiased estimate of sigma. You can also visit my web site below for other stuff.

Regards,

Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
B Please share a template for calculating Cp Cpk Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Calculating Cp and Cpk - Is my calculation correct? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M Calculating correct Cpk - Getting different answers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Calculating StdDev and Cpk on Multiple Populations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Calculating Cpk for Tubing Wall Thickness - Extrusion Process - How to approach? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
D Use of an outlier in calculating Cpk/Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
S Calculating Cpk/Ppk Simultaneously in SPC software Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
L Calculating Cpk on a single sided (unilateral) tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 28
C Calculating Cp and Cpk for Product with only LSL (Lower Specification Limit) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 28
L Calculating the RFT using the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A Calculating Cp and Cpk on a Non-Normal Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
Marc Calculating Defect Rate (PPM) from a Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
F CpK on a manufactured assembly? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
B How to calculate CPK with n = 1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Track Cpk trend Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
P Non-normal Data Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S CpK in Minitab when 0.0 is the lower spec limit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
I Best way to Chart an On-Going CPK Requirement Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
U Cpk for Contaminant Mass - Washing Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Help with Cpk procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3