Definition Cp Cpk Pp and Ppk Definitions - I'm doing SPC and Capability Analysis

L

Leigh

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the world of Capability Analysis. My problem at the moment is the more I read the more my head spins. I’m slowly getting a hold on the concepts involved but I need help on a specific issue.

A customer of ours manufactures an electronic component for us. This component (an IC or integrated circuit) must meet over 150 parameters within well defined limits. (Each lot consists of about 2500 pieces). Therefore the supplier tests the IC prior to shipping and provides, as part of the test report, the capability analysis results for each parameter. The test processes are quite stable and the measured test results are generally centered within the limits. Below is his description of Cp and Cpk. To my understanding he is using actual standard deviation rather than estimated std as is required by Cp /Cpk formulas, and therefore I think are really descriptions of Pk and Ppk..

My question is: 1) Is his interpretation of Cp and Cpk below correct and relevant? 2) Is below actually a description for Pk and Ppk? and 3) Should he be using Cp or Pp in determining out process capability, and if so how?

Many thanks for any help offered…. Leigh

Definition of Cp
===========

Cp, the capability of a process, is determined by the width of the process distribution
relative to a set of limits. For a test program, this means the width of a distribution of
test results relative to the test limits. The standard measure of the width of a
distribution in statistics is the standard deviation (std_dev), so Cp must somehow
relate the standard deviation to the test limits:

Cp = min{ ((HTL-nominal)/(3*std_dev)) , ((nominal-LTL)/(3*std_dev)) }

with:
HTL = Higher Test Limit
LTL = Lower Test Limit
nominal = nominal value = (HTL+LTL)/2
std_dev = standard deviation of measured value

As the equation suggests, Cp is the number of standard deviations that will fit between
the upper and lower limits of a test. A standard convention is to scale the number of
standard deviations by multiplying by 6. This makes it easier to interpret the Cp value
in terms of 6 sigma quality goals. The correct interpretation of Cp is "the number of 6
sigma distribution which can be fit between the high test limit and low test limit".

In actually calculating Cp, Test Insight uses the distance between the nominal value
and the closest test limit. Because this distance covers only half the distribution, it
divides the distance by 3 sigma’s, not six. The end results, however, correspond to the
number of 6 sigma distributions that can fit between the limits.

Definition of Cpk
============

This measures the shift in the mean of a test away from its ideal position. If Cp is a
measure of the potential yield of a perfectly centered distribution, then we should
diminish Cp for every unit the mean deviates from the center of the test limits. It is
this combination of Cp and k which yields the Cpk statistic.

Cpk = Cp (1 - k)

with:
k = (nominal-mean) / (HTL-LTL)/2
mean = mean of measured value

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Cp = Rating of how much of the specification limits are being used.

USL-LSL / 6 Est. Sigma (Rbard2)

Cpk = Rating of how close your process is to the expected/targeted value.

The lower of:

USL - Xbar / 3 Est. Sigma (Rbard2)

or

Xbar - LSL / 3 Est. Sigma (Rbard2)

The higher the CP, the less of the spec. limits being used. The higher the Cpk the closer you are to the target. For Pp and Ppk you would just replace the Rbard2 sigma with the sigma of the population (sigma hat). I'm not a pro so I'm sure some of the stat people can put in in better statistical terms.

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 30 March 2001).]

B

Big Red

What I was always taught was that Ppk is based on your actual standard deviation whereas Cpk is based on d2 or estimated standard deviation. That is why you use Ppk for short run studies and Cpk for long run studies. Most of our customers want us to submit Ppk for sample submissions only, then Cpk for regular production.

A

Al Dyer

I guess I don't differentiate between the two all that much, meaning they need to be used together to get a better picture of the process. (We do use Ppk during submission and then move to Cpk when process is stable)

If I generate the same set of data and see a substantially (don't ask me to define substantially) higher Cpk than a Ppk it leads me to think that my subgroups are not picking up the "fliers" in the population therefore I have not identified/removed all of the special causes of variation in the process. At this point I would go back to the FMEA for further review.

ASD...

L

Leigh

Hi Guys...

Thanks for your responses, it has helped my understanding of this hard to grasp subject. And thanks for a great forum!!

Regards - Leigh

C

Coleman Donnelly

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the world of Capability Analysis. My problem at the moment is the more I read the more my head spins. I’m slowly getting a hold on the concepts involved but I need help on a specific issue.

A customer of ours manufactures an electronic component for us. This component (an IC or integrated circuit) must meet over 150 parameters within well defined limits. (Each lot consists of about 2500 pieces). Therefore the supplier tests the IC prior to shipping and provides, as part of the test report, the capability analysis results for each parameter. The test processes are quite stable and the measured test results are generally centered within the limits. Below is his description of Cp and Cpk. To my understanding he is using actual standard deviation rather than estimated std as is required by Cp /Cpk formulas, and therefore I think are really descriptions of Pk and Ppk..

My question is: 1) Is his interpretation of Cp and Cpk below correct and relevant? 2) Is below actually a description for Pk and Ppk? and 3) Should he be using Cp or Pp in determining out process capability, and if so how?

Many thanks for any help offered…. Leigh

Definition of Cp
===========

Cp, the capability of a process, is determined by the width of the process distribution
relative to a set of limits. For a test program, this means the width of a distribution of
test results relative to the test limits. The standard measure of the width of a
distribution in statistics is the standard deviation (std_dev), so Cp must somehow
relate the standard deviation to the test limits:

Cp = min{ ((HTL-nominal)/(3*std_dev)) , ((nominal-LTL)/(3*std_dev)) }

with:
HTL = Higher Test Limit
LTL = Lower Test Limit
nominal = nominal value = (HTL+LTL)/2
std_dev = standard deviation of measured value

As the equation suggests, Cp is the number of standard deviations that will fit between
the upper and lower limits of a test.
A standard convention is to scale the number of
standard deviations by multiplying by 6. This makes it easier to interpret the Cp value
in terms of 6 sigma quality goals. The correct interpretation of Cp is "the number of 6
sigma distribution which can be fit between the high test limit and low test limit".

In actually calculating Cp, Test Insight uses the distance between the nominal value
and the closest test limit. Because this distance covers only half the distribution, it
divides the distance by 3 sigma’s, not six. The end results, however, correspond to the
number of 6 sigma distributions that can fit between the limits.

Definition of Cpk
============

This measures the shift in the mean of a test away from its ideal position. If Cp is a
measure of the potential yield of a perfectly centered distribution, then we should
diminish Cp for every unit the mean deviates from the center of the test limits. It is
this combination of Cp and k which yields the Cpk statistic.

Cpk = Cp (1 - k)

with:
k = (nominal-mean) / (HTL-LTL)/2
mean = mean of measured value
Just so i understand this correctily - does this mean that as Cpk of 1 will mean 1 standard deviation of all of my product will fall within tollerance, and that approx. 40% of my product will fall out of my tollerance limits?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Customer requires CpK 2 and PpK 1.5 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
U Cpk and Ppk for different Countries/Standards Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
S Which one is better to calculate, Cpk or Ppk? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A How to calculate Cpk & Ppk if the tolerance changes during the period? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Formula Data Validation Set for Cp, Cpk, Pp & Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
F Please share an MS Excel sheet to calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
J Cpk & Ppk - Reviewing a PPAP Package - Some questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
V CNC Process Validation Cpk Ppk & In-Process Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Pp/Ppk & Cp/Cpk - Which is appropriate for Long/Short Term Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
R Cpk & Ppk and Differences between Minitab and an Excel Spreadsheet Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S How is Cpk /Ppk value calculated in Minitab since I have subgroup size of 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
A Deciding on when to go for Cp & Cpk or Pp & Ppk Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Understanding the relationship of Pp, Ppk, Cp, Cpk Six Sigma 4
S Cpk and Ppk Differences and Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Cpk and Ppk template wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q ASQ CSSBB Question on Cpk and PPk , can you solve it ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
M Calculation of Cpk and Ppk for an unstable process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Q PPK, CPK of >= 1.67 Automotive Requirement and Auditing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Individual & MR chart - Ppk or Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
K Normality of distribution prior to Cpk and PpK Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Can Ppk value be greater than Cpk and if yes, under what conditions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
C Is it possible to get Pp,Ppk more than the within subgroup (Cp,Cpk's) indices? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Using Pin Gages as a Measurement Tool for Ppk/Cpk studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
B Difference between Ppk (Preliminary), Cpk, Performance Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Real life example of the difference between Cpk and Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
N Cpk vs Ppk - Which should you use and How to Calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
V Quality Control Index - We thought that Cpk or Ppk would be good choices Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Tim Folkerts Interpreting the common capability indices: Cp, Cpk, Pk, and Ppk. The Reading Room 5
J Machine issue in Cpk/Ppk and Control Plan - PPAP Submissions APQP and PPAP 5
D Use of an outlier in calculating Cpk/Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
N Analysis of non-normal stratified data for cpk/ppk? Rupture test Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Ppk/Cpk value with 1-sided specification - Only given a lower specification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Ppk/Cpk for geometrical true position of hole with MMC Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
Howard Atkins Validation of Cpk and Ppk calculations - Sheet to check Cpk and Ppk values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S What is the meaning of "k" in Cpk and Ppk? And Cpk vs. Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
A Capability Indexes for ISO/TS16949 - Cpk & Ppk after PPAP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C I need help verifying formula's in a database for LCL UCL Cp Cpk PPk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S Calculating Cpk/Ppk Simultaneously in SPC software Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6