Cpk and Ppk calculations for QS-9000 TE (Tooling and Equipment) Requirements

M

mibusha

Cpk and Ppk calculations for TE

Can’t avoid it any longer. Must do something with CpK and PpK to satisfy QS 90000 TE requirements and to facilitate continuous improvement efforts. I’m in charge of registering 3 separate but related companies. Process capability and performance calculations are not my strong point. Three scenarios with three questions:

1)This company makes wood, plastic and metal core box patterns that are used to produce crankshafts or cylinder heads at the Ford foundries. We make anywhere from 2 to 6 at a time following Ford’s specific instructions (usually taken over the phone). All dimensions are checked to ensure they get what they asked for but no final dimensions are actually recorded anywhere. Plus they are always exact because if they aren’t, the Pattern Maker keeps working on it until it is correct. Question: What can I do to calculate CpK and PpK ?

2)Machine slides. We produce 2 to 6 at a time (total of 10 to 30 per month). All slides have a “print spec” to which we final audit for flatness, parallelism, surface fit, etc. We don’t have “batches” or enough volume to obtain samples in order to calculate CpK and PpK . We do keep all final audit reports that state the USL/LSL and measured values. Question: Is there a way to use these measurements to come up with a valid CpK and PpK ?

3)Automated Machines. These projects take from 3 to 8 months. Usually they are not full turn-key (missing the controls so won’t run). Question: How does one calculate CpK and PpK for this type of manufacturing? We can’t even do the Machine Qualification Runoff Testing (another requirement of TE) because controls are not in place and the customer does not require or want it done.

I would really appreciate help on these issues from knowledgeable folks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

I think I've digested the scenarios and refreshed my memory enough to hopefully shed some light. I'm open for others interpretations, as my experience is somewhat limited.

First, reference the introduction “implementation” section….”however it is recognized that not all of these requirements are applicable to every organization” – unfortunately they use 4.4 – Design – as the example which is fairly obvious in regards to applicability. Having said that ‘continuous improvement” is obviously applicable, but how you go about accomplishing it may or may not involve Cpk/Ppk.

Since you mentioned facilitating continuous improvement efforts, I’m assuming you are referring to 4.2.5, and page 19 of QS, which says if you have variables data, that you need to optimize characteristics and parameters toward a target value. Your process should first be identified as “stable” – hence, SPC would apply. In the first 2 scenarios, short run SPC would seem to make sense – reference T/E supplement, page 14. Since you mention that the pattern maker works until the parts are exact, I’m not sure you even have an SPC application in the first scenario, but I would start writing down the data, and look for other CI possibilities – like first time quality, delivery timeliness, I am not personally familiar with any “custom work” scenario which would allow for SPC and Cpk to be used – but am willing to learn if anyone else is.

The Phase 1,2,and 3 process performance referred to in the T/E supplement would be regarding the product produced with the tooling. It doesn’t appear that you have the capabilities to do this. Anyway, once stability is proved, use data from your shortrun SPC charts for the process capability. Make sure you note process changes.

In the 3rd case, the Machine qualification section would apply. Since the machines are missing the controls, I would ask if you run parts manually? The SPC/CPk, PPk, would apply to the product produced by the machines. I worked with a T/E client that in some cases was just material handling equipment, no product was produced. Their qualification was the 50/20 dry run and MTBF, MTTR data. Without controls, I’m wondering how you verify your equipment can produce parts within specification today. Bottom line is the table on page 6 of T/E says, “As required by the customer.” Also take a close look at the “intent” stated in the bullets on page 6 of the T/E supplement. BTW – when do controls get installed? At the customer?

Finally, note that section 4.2 – Maintaining Process Control, in the T/E supplement refers to high volume tooling – if you are not required to “maintain process control” would imply that you shouldn’t be required to use Cpk analysis ongoing for continuous improvement either.
As stated on page 18 of QS – the continuous improvement philosophy shall be deployed throughout the organization. They couldn’t eliminate the product Cpk/PPk aspect for the T/E supplement because you do have high volume machine tool suppliers that this section could apply to.

With my training and experience to date, that’s the best I can do, and I’m open for discussion. Would love to hear from others that have been registered to T/E or the T/E registrars out there.

Now we can all probably use a refresher on Short-run SPC!

M

mibusha

Very thourough response Laura, thanks. I think continuous improvement statistics will be the key here. Try to get data on MTTF, MCTF, etc. from the customer and then attempt to improve on it. Also count on our own improvements in delivery, cost, R&M predictions, etc. Might be able to get something from the customer on process capability but usually they don't want to be bothered. Could also do something in terms of turnaround for our repair work, and, as you suggested, first time quality. As far as Mach Runoff Qual Test-I've developed procedures for it and everyone has been trained on the requirements but...until we also install the controls it is not possible to run even one part for CPk/Ppk or 50/20hr data. Perhaps I'll see if I can follow the machine to the customer's site and participate next time around. Believe it or not, the picture is a bit clearer now.

M

mibusha

Working on that now. Apparently we do in fact perform 20 hr runs although I haven't seen any records of it!! The machine slides are put through a rather extensive "2nd audit" to ensure that they are to customer spec. Also I was able to do some Target average and range charts to show capability and process performance.

My challenge is to document all this better than in the past. Thanks for the help.

L

Laura M

Thought someone else might have chimed in by now? Are there any T/E certified companies that can add to my comments?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Howard Atkins Validation of Cpk and Ppk calculations - Sheet to check Cpk and Ppk values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Customer requires CpK 2 and PpK 1.5 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
U Cpk and Ppk for different Countries/Standards Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
S Which one is better to calculate, Cpk or Ppk? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A How to calculate Cpk & Ppk if the tolerance changes during the period? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Formula Data Validation Set for Cp, Cpk, Pp & Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
F Please share an MS Excel sheet to calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
J Cpk & Ppk - Reviewing a PPAP Package - Some questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
V CNC Process Validation Cpk Ppk & In-Process Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Pp/Ppk & Cp/Cpk - Which is appropriate for Long/Short Term Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
R Cpk & Ppk and Differences between Minitab and an Excel Spreadsheet Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S How is Cpk /Ppk value calculated in Minitab since I have subgroup size of 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
A Deciding on when to go for Cp & Cpk or Pp & Ppk Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Understanding the relationship of Pp, Ppk, Cp, Cpk Six Sigma 4
S Cpk and Ppk Differences and Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Cpk and Ppk template wanted Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q ASQ CSSBB Question on Cpk and PPk , can you solve it ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
M Calculation of Cpk and Ppk for an unstable process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Q PPK, CPK of >= 1.67 Automotive Requirement and Auditing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Individual & MR chart - Ppk or Cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
K Normality of distribution prior to Cpk and PpK Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Can Ppk value be greater than Cpk and if yes, under what conditions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
C Is it possible to get Pp,Ppk more than the within subgroup (Cp,Cpk's) indices? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Using Pin Gages as a Measurement Tool for Ppk/Cpk studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
B Difference between Ppk (Preliminary), Cpk, Performance Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Real life example of the difference between Cpk and Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
N Cpk vs Ppk - Which should you use and How to Calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
V Quality Control Index - We thought that Cpk or Ppk would be good choices Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Tim Folkerts Interpreting the common capability indices: Cp, Cpk, Pk, and Ppk. The Reading Room 5
J Machine issue in Cpk/Ppk and Control Plan - PPAP Submissions APQP and PPAP 5
D Use of an outlier in calculating Cpk/Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
N Analysis of non-normal stratified data for cpk/ppk? Rupture test Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Ppk/Cpk value with 1-sided specification - Only given a lower specification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Ppk/Cpk for geometrical true position of hole with MMC Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
S What is the meaning of "k" in Cpk and Ppk? And Cpk vs. Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
A Capability Indexes for ISO/TS16949 - Cpk & Ppk after PPAP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C I need help verifying formula's in a database for LCL UCL Cp Cpk PPk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S Calculating Cpk/Ppk Simultaneously in SPC software Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6