Cpk, Cmk in Electronic Assembly (Process Capabiity)

A

anilo

we design and manifacture electronic engine management system for automotive sector.

Our Client want we define Cpk...
But this seems to be realized for a mechanical process, where i can measure dimension and tolerance, and so i can see either the process is in control or out of control.

But in electronic, where the critical elements are hundreds, what i must measure?
Can I avoid to classify every single defects, and focus only on the Printed circuit which fails?

P.S.: Do you know where i can find standards related to statistic (such as ISO/TR 13425:"Guidelines for the Selection of Statistical Methods in Standardization and Specification" or similar)?

Thanks all

Anilo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am not from the automotive sector, but if they want a Cpk, they don't care about all the properties of your product, but your product it self.

for example: How much of the product could be defective? Cpk can be correlated to the ppm defective (if ..., you take the distribution as a gaussian ones.). In the net there are many articles that show such table.

I tink that i'ts right to focus only on the parts that could fail, but keep on mind that they just want a value a Cpk (only one) of your product.

Darius

R

Rick Goodson

anilo,

As Darius implied, Cpk is a measurement of a process not a product. The parameters you mention are not related to the process but to the product. Cpk could be determined for individual processes in your facility. Refernce the AIAG SPC guide for more details. Go to www.aiag.com and look under publications for the SPC manual. It costs $30 for non-members.

A

anilo

thanks all.
You are right: these are product's item, not process'ones.
but to measure process capability i have to measure how good is its output; and process'output is the product.
Don Winton said:" It is ultimately desiderable to establish control over the process by controlling the process inputs. On the other hand, process capability indices are always performed using the critical parameters of the product" ("process capability studies, 1999, elsmar pdf section downloaded)
So, i think i can list all tipologies of defect, and analyze that with statistical techniques (such as Pareto etc...), but at the end i'll measure how many electronic engine system are fully functional and i extract the Cpk.
But:
1) what's the process mean in such a case?
and what is the data value?
'cause Xbar= Xi/n for i=1 to n
(i think Xi is only Pass/Failure)
2) how can i define LSL and USL ?
remind i have no specifications limits... but the product has to funcion!!

thanks again :)

R

Rick Goodson

anilo,

You are switching back and forth from attribute and variables during your discussion. An X-bar chart is a variables control chart where pass/fail data is attribute data. You cannot plot attribute data on a variables control chart.

From the AIAG SPC 1995 publication:

Process capability is the total range of a stable process's inherent variation: 6 sigma cap sub R/d2.

For attribute data:

Process capability is usually defined as the average proportion or rate of defects or defectives. From control charts (p,c,u), for example, capability is defined as p-bar, c-bar, or u-bar where capability refers directly to the average proportion or rate of output that does not meet the specification (or as 1- p-bar, etc. the percentage of product within specification.

Ford use to use 99.994% as the minimum process capability for an attribute control chart based process capability calculation. That is, 99.994% of product had to meet the specification. I do not know if that is still a good number or not.

In essence, the capability is the first pass yield on the complete process.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S A question about Cpk and Cmk - Can we use Cpk to replace Cmk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
H Some questions about Cmk and Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
C Evaluating software that measures Ppk, Cmk, Cpk, PPI, etc. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S Cmk and Cpk - When will we need to calculate Cmk? Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Any ideas on setting up Capability Study spreadsheet in Excel? (CPK/CMK formulae) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
F CpK on a manufactured assembly? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B How to calculate CPK with n = 1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Track Cpk trend Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
P Non-normal Data Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
S CpK in Minitab when 0.0 is the lower spec limit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
I Best way to Chart an On-Going CPK Requirement Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
U Cpk for Contaminant Mass - Washing Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Help with Cpk procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
J Calculation of σ within subgroups for Cpk in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
D Cpk relation to Reliability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4