Cpk higher than Cp - Explain the relationship and why this happens?

F

freeda

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question, but it is one that is asked of me and I can't explain it.
We did a capability study on the straightness of some shafts. Our sample size was 200. We have a Cp value that is less than the Cpk.
Why does this happen?
I already know that the process is not capable. That is why we are doing the study, to find out just how uncapable it is.
We had two points out of tolerance and one on the dead high, the Cp was .95 and the Cpk was 1.00.
I haven't been able to find anything in any of my SPC books that explain what causes this.

BTW Marc,
I just wanted to say thanks for providing this site. And thanks to all that contribute to it. It has really helped me a lot.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Ken K.

What was the mean of your process?
What are your spec limits?
How are you calculating your values? (Excel, MINITAB, JMP, other package, by hand)
What is your estimate of sigma (though it shouldn't matter when comparing Cp & Cpk)

It can only be one of two things (I think):

1. The mean of your process is outside the process spec. limits, causing the MIN[(mean-LSL),(USL-mean)] to be larger than (USL-LSL)/2

2. Your formulas are incorrect

A

Al Dyer

Freeda,

I'm sure you will get more definitive explanations from this forum but here I go:

Cp = Rating of how much of the specification limits are being used.

Cpk = Rating of how close your process is to the expected/targeted value.

The higher the CP, the less of the spec. limits being used. The higher the Cpk the closer you are to the target.

You could be running a high Cp (good) but the process is running too close to a spec. limit which would give you a higher Cp than Cpk.

This will probably lead to the old discussion as to how a process can be in control but not be capable.

Input from experts hopefully forthcoming!

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 23 March 2001).]

F

freeda

I use CimWorks VisualSPC program to calculate the data.
The Mean is .00236
The Max is .007
The Min is .001
The USL is .005, since it is a unilateral tolerance (straightness), the LSL is NoLoSpec (this is what you put as your LSL in VisualSPC).

D

Don Winton

freeda,

You failed to provide a value for dispersion, but I will try to help.

The distribution appears to be skewed right. With a mean of 0.00236 and 3 of 200 out or near the USL (more I am sure), this appears to be the case. However, without the data or values for skewness or kurtosis, I cannot know for sure.

If you are willing to provide the raw data (Excel or Tab Delimited Text), I may be able to provide a more complete analysis for you.

One other thing:

Calculation of predictable process capability indices is dependent on the statistical control of the process. If the process is not in statistical control, then the results of the study are subject to fluctuate unpredictably. The statistical control of the process can be studied using control charts. If the distribution is skewed right, the state of statistical control is in question.

Regards,

Don

------------------
I was better but I got over it.

[This message has been edited by dWizard (edited 24 March 2001).]

K

Ken K.

Oh, this is a one-sided specification.

To my knowledge, the Cp is not defined in this situation. You can't compare the process variation to the tolerance width if the tolerance is one-sided.

With an upper spec you would use the CPU as an estimate of Cpk (defined as the minimum of [CPL,CPU]), but Cp isn't defined.

CPU = (USL-mean)/3sigma

I can't find anything on the web about the formulas that CimWorks VisualSPC uses for one-sided Cp & Cpk. I'd strongly suggest you understand these formulas before using the software's output. Maybe call the supplier and ask for an explanation.

This is one of those cases where people really need to understand their software rather than blindly use it (no offence).

F

freeda

I already know what the formulas are. CimWorks provides that information to their customers. And I don't believe that I "blindly" use the software.
I was only looking for a good, simple explanation of why.
I tried to explain to the powers above that you can't look at Cp on a unilateral tolerance, but I couldn't come up with a good enough explanation for them.
Thanks to all that contributed, they now understand.

[This message has been edited by freeda (edited 26 March 2001).]

A

ASanchez

Ken

My point of view is that because the Cp is a comparison of the tolerance and your process variation it is not feasible to compare one sided specification to your process variation for example if you have a spec 0.25 max you physically could have parts from 0 to 0.25, but if you have an spec of 0.25 min you could physlcally have pieces from 0.25 to infinite.
What I'm telling you is not in any book is only my point of view.

Alex

A

Al Dyer

Ken,

In the case of say, runout, the spec might be Max = .025.

USL (.025) - LSL (.000) = .025

CP = .025 / 6 sigma (r-bar-d2)

Same as a bilateral spec.

I won't go into a unilateral spec. that calls for a minimum specification as I have never run across one. I'll leave that to the experts!

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Reducing a Cpk which is higher than 1.33 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
F CpK on a manufactured assembly? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
B How to calculate CPK with n = 1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Track Cpk trend Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
P Non-normal Data Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
S CpK in Minitab when 0.0 is the lower spec limit Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
I Best way to Chart an On-Going CPK Requirement Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
U Cpk for Contaminant Mass - Washing Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Help with Cpk procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
J Calculation of σ within subgroups for Cpk in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
D Cpk relation to Reliability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
R Convincing Management Cpk without Stability is Meaningless Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
C Hardness Testing - Low Cpk's using Minitab Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
L Cpk after Data Transformation - How to Transform LCL /UCL to get Capability Report Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
V Customer requires CpK 2 and PpK 1.5 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Ongoing Cpk and Global/Historical Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7