CPK with a P value less than 0.005

OmarEn

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about a cpk study I am analysing (Attached).
The cpk and ppk are very good. this is a tube cutter and we collected the data with a caliper. in the length 508.0mm the P value is 0.177 which means a normal distribution. But in the 156.0mm lenght P value is less than 0.005.
indices are pretty good and there are not points out of control.
does anyone know why my data is not normal? and what can I do with this information so I can share it with my customer?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
You may have a combination of two different issues. Your data appear "chunky" meaning the gage resolution results in a lot of data points with the same reading with gaps in between. With larger sample sizes this can trigger a false positive on a normality test.

In addition, a histogram of the data appears slightly right skewed. While the control chart does not trigger any out of control tests, there is a perception of a long term oscillation that might explain the skewness.

Add these two together, and it trips the normality test. If you are confident the process is stable, I see no concerns with the results. However, it will be difficult to explain to the typical customer.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Difficult yes but it can and should be done. a reasonable Customer should be able to understand the explanation. We need to do more of this. blind acceptance of a statistical output or score is not good engineering, science or business...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I am always reluctant to transform data for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that you will lose a lot of information contained in the data. In my role as a Master Black Belt, I see a lot of Black Belts transforming non normal data without understanding why it is non normal. In almost every case, the data were non normal because the process was unstable or was a mixture of multiple process streams. In cases such as that, it is wrong to transform the data. The focus should be on stabilizing the process or bringing the process streams closer together.

In your situation, I would evaluate the process over a longer time period to determine whether it was truly stable, and would evaluate the measurement system to determine whether improvements were warranted. If you find that the process is indeed stable and the measurement system is adequate, then I might consider transforming the data though I prefer using a non normal capability analysis if a rational non normal distribution is appropriate.

OmarEn

Involved In Discussions
You may have a combination of two different issues. Your data appear "chunky" meaning the gage resolution results in a lot of data points with the same reading with gaps in between. With larger sample sizes this can trigger a false positive on a normality test.

In addition, a histogram of the data appears slightly right skewed. While the control chart does not trigger any out of control tests, there is a perception of a long term oscillation that might explain the skewness.

Add these two together, and it trips the normality test. If you are confident the process is stable, I see no concerns with the results. However, it will be difficult to explain to the typical customer.
Hello Miner.

Thank you very much for your answer. It was very useful for me.
Now I have an idea of what I have to do.

Regards.

OmarEn

Involved In Discussions
Difficult yes but it can and should be done. a reasonable Customer should be able to understand the explanation. We need to do more of this. blind acceptance of a statistical output or score is not good engineering, science or business...
Great words, very useful..

isolytical

Involved In Discussions
Agree that the reasonable customer should be able to understand the suggested explanation, but i see tailing at the high end, so suggest a range test for data elimination.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
My first analysis is always best fit curve fitting. The assumption of normality rather than an evaluation of the most correct model is weak to me. Then, when I have an adequate model, I start to consider what model I should be expecting. Remember, for a process to be stable and capable as a normal distribution, it must be the expected distribution! As in tool wear, where it is not the expected distribution, it is actually evidence of the process is unstable - probably from overcontrol or incapable processes. The "rubber stamp" of the normal assumption is beyond its usefulness these days. You need to apply some critical thinking.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Sean Kelley Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
F Cpk - Determining what my d2 value is Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
W Cpk for Hardness - PPAP rejected due to no Cpk value being given for a hardness FMEA and Control Plans 10
S How is Cpk /Ppk value calculated in Minitab since I have subgroup size of 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Methods used to calculate Cpk value - Need help for Cpk Calculation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E Which standard Cpk value intervals are common or frequently used? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
G Any 'Rule of Thumb' for Acceptable Cpk Value - Injection Molding? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
R Can Ppk value be greater than Cpk and if yes, under what conditions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
F Ppk/Cpk value with 1-sided specification - Only given a lower specification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A What is the value of Cpk for a new process? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 24
P Is it possible to get a negative Cpk value? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
H Spc Question - When the Cpk value is bigger than 2.0 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
B Attribute capability indices - Cpk and/or Ppk value for an attribute type of feature Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
D Is it possible to determine the Cpk value from Cp and Cr values? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
L Calculating the RFT using the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
R Cpk value interpretation - What is the significance of Cpk value of 1.33? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Marc Calculating Defect Rate (PPM) from a Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
A Interpretation with regards to Ppk > Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
F CpK on a manufactured assembly? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How is the Cmk and Cpk calculated? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
B How to calculate CPK with n = 1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Maximum Material Condition with Bonus - Determine Cpk for this one kpc Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Track Cpk trend Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
P Non-normal Data Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V When to use Cp Cpk and Pp Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12