CQC oversight of Medical device software?

Ben S UK

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

New user but occasional browser. :)

(I used the search function and don't think this has been asked previously).

I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of the overlap between the CQC (in the UK) and the MHRA specifically when it comes to medical device software with a diagnostic function. Is there an official position on this or precedent?

My understanding is this. Software (Apps, web tool or otherwise) which has the function to diagnose falls under the scope of the MDD (and also the MDR) and needs to comply with associated requirements; legal manufacturer, CE marking, technical dossier, NB oversight etc etc.

However, I also understand that in the UK the oversight of primary healthcare providers lies with the CQC and they have their own requirements - which i'm less familiar with...

It occurred to me recently that some diagnostic devices (particularly those that bypass HCP) potentially could be providing primary care i.e an AI app which 'talks' to a user asking questions in order to provide a diagnosis or treatment recommendation. I know recently the CQC issued some guidance on digital healthcare providers in primary care and confirmed they have oversight. But i'm still unclear how this works in practice and what the actual delineation would look like between MHRA and CQC?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
MHRA regulates manufacture/placing on the market/surveillance of medical devices in the UK - the software you describe is likely to be considered a medical device.
CQC regulates health and social care services in England - this included use of medical devices.

Ben S UK

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the reply.

I might not have been clear with my question.

I understand the role of the MHRA and CQC in the traditional sense.

But I was wondering whether some medical device apps (one's which offer diagnosis for example) that can be used by a consumer/patient without HCP supervision (i.e. downloaded via App store or Google Play) would also be considered a directly providing primary care.

In the CQC recent paper Clarification of Regulatory Methodology: PMS digital healthcare providers - March 2017 they defined digital healthcare providers as, "healthcare services that provide regulated activity by an online means. This involves transmitting information by text, sound, images or other digital forms for the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of disease..." This to me seems to suggest that a diagnosis app - intended for patient use - could potentially been seen to be providing digital healthcare. So the device manufacturer as well as being the legal manufacturer in the traditional MDD/IVDD sense could also be a primary care provider too??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N CQC (China Quality Certification) did not issue an Audit Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R IATF Oversight certificates General Auditing Discussions 5
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Oversight of Distributors - Supply chain requirements under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M FDA News Statement from USFDA on steps to strengthen the long-term safety oversight of the Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna FAA and DCMA to leverage OASIS data to assist in planning risk-based oversight audits Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Tracking External Oversight at a large Naval Shipyard Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Who provides oversight of API (Americal Petrolium Institute)? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
E Software that may be excluded from FDA Oversight Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Technical Oversight - Government Shipyard Quality Office Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
V Best CAPA for slip in simple-yet-persistent oversight-review mechanism Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Advice on setting up BD Distribution Deals - How much oversight is required? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Who has Oversight of the RABQSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
P New Renault CSR just published on the IATF Global Oversight webpage Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
somashekar Supply Chain Oversight is the FDA's Next Area of Concern Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Coury Ferguson Oversight Audit on the CB by the ICOP Scheme Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
Sidney Vianna Should Regulatory Agencies require Accredited Certification in their Respective Areas of Oversight Registrars and Notified Bodies 33
D Redundant Oversight - Supplier assessment questionnaires Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A IAOB Oversight during our TS 16949 Upgrade Audit - Should we reschedule? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc International Automotive Oversight Bureau (IAOB) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
I Post-market surveillance and Post-market performance follow-up for in vitro diagnostic medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M FDA Medical device reporting (Manufacturer in US; contract manufacturer OuS) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
JoCam Accessories for medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Prescription Form - Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
XRAY_3121 Drop Shipping Legend Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Documenting Medical Device Complaints after End of Life? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device License as Distributor Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
M Preparing a document for Raw Material of Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Medical device regulations in African countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Jessesun The application of ozone sterilization in medical treatment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Production line for medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Design & Development records for Medical Devices Packaging and Labelling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
K MHLW MO169 2021 Japan Ministerial Ordinance on Standards for Manufacturing Control and Quality Control for Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
U Medical Devices Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Guidance on X-Ray Medical Devices for Animal Use - FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Z Swiss Authorized representative & non-medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
dgrainger Informational Good news: Commission proposes a progressive roll-out of the new In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device Marketing Material - Control of Social Media 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Ed Panek Make sure you hire competent QA RA Folks before making a "Medical Device." Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2021-24 - Guidance on classification of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S State Licensing requirements for Medical Devices sold in the US directly to hospitals and tissue banks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
MedicalDevicesCanada How to find a medical device contract manufacturer, MDSAP certified? Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
B ISO 11197, Venting of Medical Supply Units - cl. 201.11.2.2.101 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Q Best country to import medical devices into Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0