SBS - The best value in QMS software

CQC oversight of Medical device software?

Ben S UK

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

New user but occasional browser. :)

(I used the search function and don't think this has been asked previously).

I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of the overlap between the CQC (in the UK) and the MHRA specifically when it comes to medical device software with a diagnostic function. Is there an official position on this or precedent?

My understanding is this. Software (Apps, web tool or otherwise) which has the function to diagnose falls under the scope of the MDD (and also the MDR) and needs to comply with associated requirements; legal manufacturer, CE marking, technical dossier, NB oversight etc etc.

However, I also understand that in the UK the oversight of primary healthcare providers lies with the CQC and they have their own requirements - which i'm less familiar with...

It occurred to me recently that some diagnostic devices (particularly those that bypass HCP) potentially could be providing primary care i.e an AI app which 'talks' to a user asking questions in order to provide a diagnosis or treatment recommendation. I know recently the CQC issued some guidance on digital healthcare providers in primary care and confirmed they have oversight. But i'm still unclear how this works in practice and what the actual delineation would look like between MHRA and CQC?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
MHRA regulates manufacture/placing on the market/surveillance of medical devices in the UK - the software you describe is likely to be considered a medical device.
CQC regulates health and social care services in England - this included use of medical devices.

Ben S UK

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the reply.

I might not have been clear with my question.

I understand the role of the MHRA and CQC in the traditional sense.

But I was wondering whether some medical device apps (one's which offer diagnosis for example) that can be used by a consumer/patient without HCP supervision (i.e. downloaded via App store or Google Play) would also be considered a directly providing primary care.

In the CQC recent paper Clarification of Regulatory Methodology: PMS digital healthcare providers - March 2017 they defined digital healthcare providers as, "healthcare services that provide regulated activity by an online means. This involves transmitting information by text, sound, images or other digital forms for the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of disease..." This to me seems to suggest that a diagnosis app - intended for patient use - could potentially been seen to be providing digital healthcare. So the device manufacturer as well as being the legal manufacturer in the traditional MDD/IVDD sense could also be a primary care provider too??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N CQC (China Quality Certification) did not issue an Audit Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R IATF Oversight certificates General Auditing Discussions 5
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Oversight of Distributors - Supply chain requirements under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M FDA News Statement from USFDA on steps to strengthen the long-term safety oversight of the Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna FAA and DCMA to leverage OASIS data to assist in planning risk-based oversight audits Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Tracking External Oversight at a large Naval Shipyard Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
C Who provides oversight of API (Americal Petrolium Institute)? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
E Software that may be excluded from FDA Oversight Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Technical Oversight - Government Shipyard Quality Office Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
V Best CAPA for slip in simple-yet-persistent oversight-review mechanism Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Advice on setting up BD Distribution Deals - How much oversight is required? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Who has Oversight of the RABQSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
P New Renault CSR just published on the IATF Global Oversight webpage Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
somashekar Supply Chain Oversight is the FDA's Next Area of Concern Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Coury Ferguson Oversight Audit on the CB by the ICOP Scheme Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
D Redundant Oversight - Supplier assessment questionnaires Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A IAOB Oversight during our TS 16949 Upgrade Audit - Should we reschedule? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc International Automotive Oversight Bureau (IAOB) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R X-RAY Based Diagnostic Veterinary medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
A Canadian Safety Labels for medical electrical equipment Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Medical device certificate in Australia - ARTG certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Software as a medical device vs software not sold as medical device: local regulations for sale? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
T Google Fit Health datas and Medical devices Application Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Customer Approval (Medical Devices) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S Microwave medical waste disinfectant - A medical device or not? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3