Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

CQE or SSGB for a new career

I am an Electrical Engineer with 6+ experience in the construction industry and seeking a change in career. For a new entrant into the quality market and my previous experience, should I go for CQE or SSGB exam? I am also wondering if my experience in construction would count in the CQE application (I have a degree in Electrical Engineering).

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
The SSGB is an entry level Six Sigma cert, and a perpetual one, not sure it holds much value without escalating it up higher. CQE is term limited but more widespread use over all fields, not just Six Sigma.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In my opinion, ASQ certifications have lost credibility. I have run into too many people with the certification that could not perform their role well. And while I greatly value the six sigma methodology, certification does not ensure that the belt is good at it. I have seen too many the were certified without ever completing a project or were poor project managers.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
In my opinion, ASQ certifications have lost credibility. I have run into too many people with the certification that could not perform their role well. And while I greatly value the six sigma methodology, certification does not ensure that the belt is good at it. I have seen too many the were certified without ever completing a project or were poor project managers.
I also agree with this. When interviewing, I ask a person with Six Sigma on resume to describe the DMAIC process as well as one project they completed. Many can't do that.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
May be that ASQ has developed a vast stable of certs, and thus diluted the value as they focused on niche specialties - (in regards to Miners post).
In my experience, I have found the certs a good value and comprehensive in the coverage. While projects under your belt are not required for SSGB, they are for the rest of them (not sure how many this has gotten to be now, used to be just SSGB and SSBB). So in my opinion, SSGB is really just a six sigma primer, but much less hands on.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
CQE body of knowledge relies on a lot of statistical concepts, but is light on application: the quantitative methods portion is a lot of information at a fairly low level. In my experience CQE's can give definition to some of the concepts (but can't apply most), while a Six Sigma candidate who has completed project(s) has better command of the tools. Ideally I want someone who goes beyond pointing out a problem, that can also suggest and implement an evidence-based solution.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
SSBB...SSGB, will be of little value; put the time in and obtain the experience necessary for the SSBB. Many covers may cringe at the designation, name aside, among other things it instills solid problem solving skills and most importantly statistics functionality. The last item regardless of what chooses to call it, is of ever increasing value...reams and reams of data on a daily basis.

Top Bottom