CQE Preparation - Classes offered by ASQ or QC Group

M

M.Cotten

Hello All,
I know there are many posts regarding which reference materials to use, etc...
My question is for those who have sat for CQE...have any of you taken any of the classes offered by ASQ or QC Group? Or used any web-based classes? I tend to learn best in a classroom environment and I am curious if it is worth the $1400 plus expenses....
Thanks a bunch!!!

C

Chance

Hello All,
My question is for those who have sat for CQE...have any of you taken any of the classes offered by ASQ or QC Group? Or used any web-based classes? I tend to learn best in a classroom environment and I am curious if it is worth the $1400 plus expenses....
Thanks a bunch!!!
Hi,

I am using the The Certified Quality Engineer Handbook 3rd edition by Connie M. Borror.

J

JAltmann

I would see if your local ASQ section offers a refresher course. IMO that would be the best instructor led option.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hello All,
Thanks a bunch!!!

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

If you feel that you tend to learn much better in a classroom environment, go for it.

Even I am good in a clean room environment than reading :)

M

M.Cotten

Thanks for your advice...
I am more concerned about the value of the classroom training...if it is truly 'worth' the nearly $2000 it will cost when all is said and done and if anyone has taken classroom training and their opinions

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello All,
Thanks a bunch!!!

What any commodity is worth is determined by what people are willing to pay for it. There are too many variables for your questions to yield a useful answer, imo. If you've spent some time with some of the available sample exams and exam questions, you should have an idea of whether you're ready for the exam or not. These courses are often referred to as "refreshers," which suggests that you should already be in possession of the basic knowledge required to pass the test.

M

M.Cotten

True enough. I am seeking opinions from peers on their experiences

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Everything is relative.

How much does the student know before entering the class?

ASQ Sections often offer weeks-long "tune-up" sessions for both Six Sigma and Quality Engineer designations. In most cases, the course is taught by a team of experienced practitioners and these instructors will dwell on any particularly difficult facet of the course until every student is up to speed (the original "no child left behind" philosophy.) These are generally NOT for raw beginners.

Often, these instructors can be hired as individual tutors to teach at the convenience of the student. Back in the early 90's, I hired one of the QE instructors to teach charting and SPC to 5 of my machine operators (2 hour sessions twice a week for a number of weeks on paid company time.) Those five were able to train any new hires from then on. ASQ Section courses are much less than the sums cited in the original post, while individual tutoring would probably be that much or more.

The point is the ASQ Section instructors all hold the designation and often act as proctors when the test is presented, often a good source of tips for preparing for and passing the test.

C

ckillam3

This is my first reply to the forum. Your question was one I asked in January 2009. I chose to enroll in a refresher course provided through a neighboring ASQ Section. I also purchased reference material via recommendations found here at Elsmar and through my ASQ Section. At the time, I was out of school for 14 years, so I studied every night and on the weekends. The result: a certification. My suggestion is that $2000 is not worth the certification; however, it is worth several hundred USA dollars. I wish you the best of luck.

A

azzuri

I would like to hear what material you recommend to use for self preparation?

I have taken up SPC, statistics at master's level and I am more of self learner throughout my education so thinking I can prepare myself with some suggestion regarding kind of material and amount of time I need to spend. Although as I write here, I am totally unaware what kind of topics ASQ expects to be well versed in.

Thank you.

This is my first reply to the forum. Your question was one I asked in January 2009. I chose to enroll in a refresher course provided through a neighboring ASQ Section. I also purchased reference material via recommendations found here at Elsmar and through my ASQ Section. At the time, I was out of school for 14 years, so I studied every night and on the weekends. The result: a certification. My suggestion is that $2000 is not worth the certification; however, it is worth several hundred USA dollars. I wish you the best of luck.

Top Bottom