CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials

smiro

Registered
Hello all.
I am more or less pasively monitoring some interesting discussions, but now I bumped into a problem, where our customer requires us to get CQI-12 self assessment from our suppliers of lamination steel for electromotors and rotor/stator stacks which we produce. Because this steel is coated with thin layer (one to several microns) of insulation in order to reduce losses in the electromotor. We forwarded the request to our suppliers and from one got the following answer: "According to our experts the CQI-12 is only applicable for „customer specified parts“. We however do not supply parts but instead raw material.", which is true. The insulating of the lamination steel is a regular 100% part of the process for the final coil that is then sold and processed by companies similar to ours. This coating is not purchased service nor it has any appearance issue. There is nothing special in suppliers process. I believe that our supplier has a point here so I would like to hear from you also. Thank you for eventual opinions. Regards. Miro Šmid, Domel. d.o.o., Slovenia

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Hello all.
I am more or less pasively monitoring some interesting discussions, but now I bumped into a problem, where our customer requires us to get CQI-12 self assessment from our suppliers of lamination steel for electromotors and rotor/stator stacks which we produce. Because this steel is coated with thin layer (one to several microns) of insulation in order to reduce losses in the electromotor. We forwarded the request to our suppliers and from one got the following answer: "According to our experts the CQI-12 is only applicable for „customer specified parts“. We however do not supply parts but instead raw material.", which is true. The insulating of the lamination steel is a regular 100% part of the process for the final coil that is then sold and processed by companies similar to ours. This coating is not purchased service nor it has any appearance issue. There is nothing special in suppliers process. I believe that our supplier has a point here so I would like to hear from you also. Thank you for eventual opinions. Regards. Miro Šmid, Domel. d.o.o., Slovenia

...experts? Who have they identified as their experts ("According to our experts the CQI-12 is only applicable for „customer specified parts“. We however do not supply parts but instead raw material.") ?

Reference ISO9001:2015, para. 8.2.2 Determining the requirements for products and services which states in part:

"the requirements for the products and services are defined, including: 1) any applicable statutory and regulatory requirements; 2) those considered necessary by the organization;"

ISO9000:2015: 3.7.6 product

output (3.7.5) of an organization (3.2.1) that can be produced without any transaction taking place between the organization and the customer (3.2.4)

Who is the customer?...I would guess it is your organization. The way I read this, and I could be wrong in my interpretation, their experts are not correct in my opinion. If you have flowed down CQI-12 or your customer has, they would be required also to comply. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom