CQI (Chartered Quality Institute) Agony Uncle

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Cove members who aren't totally bored with my rantings might be interested in a new role. The Chartered Quality Institute has recently asked me to contribute a monthly "Agony Uncle" piece dealing with questions from members. The latest one is available here to view.

It is pretty similar to work on the cove except for two things:
  1. I have to be polite :argue:
  2. Nobody gets the chance to correct me :lmao:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

Re: CQI Agony Uncle

Good advice Paul

Many people build a system seperate to the business and wonder why nobody wants to get involved, like you say most good things are often already happening in most companies, such as objectives, so use what is there already.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

Very nice.

Did you ever think as a kid you'd be an advice columnist? Even for a fairly limited audience.

Next step.... Dr. Phil.
Or whoever his UK counterpart is...
:D

Paul Simpson

Good article, Paul. Is there any chance this column could be posted monthly here in the Reading Room?
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I am certainly happy to copy the response here. I believe the "Forward" e-newsletter is available to all subscribers for free not just CQI members.

Discordian said:
Did you ever think as a kid you'd be an advice columnist?
No, as a kid I wanted to race cars! It is only with advancing years that reality kicks in! :lol:

Discordian said:
Even for a fairly limited audience.
Excuse me if I paraphrase a story of a guy on his retirement..... "In my life I've learned a hell of a lot .... it's a shame it's only about quality management!" :lmao:

Discordian said:
Next step.... Dr. Phil.
Or whoever his UK counterpart is...
Jim Wynne kindly sent me a link about Dr. Phil but there is only one Dr. Phil on the cove!

The only UK equivalent I can think of is "Dear Marge" an agony aunt in the papers quite a few years ago .... a little gentler than Dr. Phil by all accounts.

Paul Simpson

It's that time again. My latest meanderings are posted here.

I have copied the text below.

Agony Uncle said:
The question

I am a quality engineer and have recently been nominated to take part in six sigma training with a view to starting on some projects internally. I have heard through reading Qualityworld that the training is very intensive and will require detailed understanding of statistics. But my company wants me to do the training in my own time and to finish my first project in the first year. Is this possible and will the training be of benefit to me in my career? Jon, Nottingham.

The solution

First, Jon, any opportunity to improve your quality knowledge must be beneficial – structured six sigma training covering quality tools and techniques, even more so. Potential new employers look for qualified black belts for the same reasons your current employer wants to train you – capability to deliver problem solving projects. You will contribute to reducing failure costs and improving business efficiency.

But here’s the rub. Training must be taxing for you to get benefit from it. Because six sigma is a latest buzz word, quality of training provided can be best described as ‘variable’. Make sure your training provider covers the statistics behind six sigma, if not it is just glorified corrective action training. Have a look at what training the CQI is offering here for examples.

It is unusual your company is insisting training takes place in your own time and that rings alarm bells over their commitment to investing the money and effort necessary to deliver a successful six sigma programme. Nevertheless your personal investment in training will pay off in job satisfaction and improved prospects.

Whether you can deliver your first project within a year depends on how complex your project is. Certainly many difficult problems that have troubled organizations for years have been solved in 3 to 9 months – talk about a return on investment!

Bear in mind the methodology cannot be rushed. Each stage of six sigma takes time:

* define (the problem),
* measure (product features, service measures, fault data),
* analyze (data collected above),
* improve (processes based on results of the analysis),
* control (implement measures to ensure process improvements don’t slip back and problems reappear)

The mnemonic DMAIC is relatively easy to say but very difficult to do properly – good luck with your training!

Paul Simpson is a member of the CQI, a certification manager with a UKAS accredited certification body, and a management consultant at XBS

C

Craig H.

Paul,

This type of article, explaining the implications of something like "installing" six sigma, is something that we do not see very often. I am sure that there will be many who will gain from your insight.

Thanks!!!

B

Brad Eickhoff

Wow Paul I am really impressed :applause: :applause:. I found both articles very interesting.

Thank you for sharing and I hope you will share more of them. A little off topic here but in the first article last paragraph I notice a slight misspelling with the word “organizations”. I should probably not talk as I am probably one of the worst spellers :mg:.

Finally, if you find your particular irresistible force cannot move management’s lack of commitment – move on. There are plenty of good organisations looking for your skills!
At least you did not spell it orgasmication :cool:

Paul Simpson

Wow Paul I am really impressed :applause: :applause:. I found both articles very interesting.
Thanks, Brad. Although I sometimes come across as a bit of an ogre I really do mean well ...:notme:

Thank you for sharing and I hope you will share more of them. A little off topic here but in the first article last paragraph I notice a slight misspelling with the word “organizations”. I should probably not talk as I am probably one of the worst spellers :mg:.

At least you did not spell it orgasmication :cool:
Another case of two nations divided by a common language, I'm afraid. I have problems with this one all the time. I even researched the Wiki for it here.

Now believe it or not but some British folk get a bit pompous. ;) , preferring the "UK only" version "..isation"- so that is what I posted in the original article.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P CQI (Chartered Quality Institute, UK) - Diploma in Quality Professional Certifications and Degrees 33
Paul Simpson What is the CQI (Chartered Quality Institute)? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 17
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S CQI-23 - Molding System Assessment - Control of part weight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B CQI-11 (Plating Audit) - New revision updates IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
R CQI-15 for ultrasonic welding splices on wiring harness, is applicable? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
E Does CQI-23 (Molding Sys. Asses.) apply to RUBBER molding? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Sidney Vianna Informational The role of the quality professional - an interesting video by CQI Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
L CQI & IRCA not accepting new applications for ATPs (Approved Training Partner) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
B CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Required for all of the welding processes we have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
H Differences between CQI 15 and CQI 17 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R ASQ, CQI,............where else ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Where do CQI Assessment requirements come into play? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K CQI-23 Molding System Assessment Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M CQI-9 monitoring of temperature in die Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
C IATF 16949:2016 New CSR (CQI´s) - Share your experience IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J CQI-9 - Can OEM do Oven Studies? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W IATF 16949 Annex B: CQI Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I Is it common practice for a bake oven to require a CQI-9? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
G AIAG CQI-Audits and Auditor Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
L CQI-12 2nd Edition - Table D, question 2.1 - Powder Coat Painting IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A CQI-9 and DI Water vs. Distilled Water IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
elkel CQI 9 (Heat Treatment) Assessment Requirements - Company and Customer Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
xfngrs CQI-19 Sub-Tier Supplier Management IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V Concerning CQI-15 Welding System Assessment Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
xfngrs New AIAG Special Molding Assessment CQI-23 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 17
Stijloor AIAG Layered Process Audit 2nd Ed. (CQI-8) is now available. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E CQI-7T Form - AIAG Process Identification Tool 95-2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Am I qualified to take the CQI Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
T The 'CQI' as a Professional Qualification - advantages? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
K ASQ CQI Exam Questions Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
P Level 5 CQI Diploma in Quality (Assurance and Management) Covegratulations 7
I New AIAG CQI guidelines published - Are they worth buying? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
J Do any of you send the whole CQI-9 System Assessment to your Customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K ASQ Certified Quality Inspector (CQI) Training Help Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
O CQI-9 V3 - Ammonia Residue Test in Furnace Atmosphere General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C New Ford CQI 15 Rollout Requirement and reference to ESBC24-5005-AB IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R CQI-9 Heat Treat Assessment Services recommendations wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Is the CQI-9 Heat Treat Assessment performed by a 3rd Party Auditor APQP and PPAP 1
J CQI-9 Table E, 4.1 - Heat Treating Process Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R CQI-15 As Related to UltraSonic Plastics Assembly Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Metal Tape Plating Process - CQI-11 Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M CQI-11 & CQI-12 Version 2 - Changes from the previous version IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Tom W CQI-9 3rd Edition - The CD does not match the book from the AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V CQI-9 Heat Treat System Assessment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11