CQM/OE Certification - May 2010 - Exam preparation tips and actual exam experience

S

spradhan

Hello Gurus,
I plan to take the CQM/OE exam in May 2010 during the Quality World Conference in St. Louis.

Has anyone taken the exam recently (in the last 6 months or so)? Can you share some pre-exam preparation tips and actual exam experience?

Thanks.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: CQM/OE Certification

I haven't taken it in the last 6 months, but have taken three times - twice when it was still CQM (failed the first go), then to recertify a couple years ago as my current positon doesn't off much in the way of training - or allowing time/helping with expenses for training to quialify for points.

I did not pass the first time I took it about 10 years ago. What got me was the essay questions.
I would highly recommend putting extra time into preparing for the essay questions as they are not open book and you have a limited amount of time.
Multiple choice is open book so with the right references, that part is a breeze. I brought Juran, CMQ/OE Primer by QCI, and ASQ's Certified Quality Manager Handbook (which has probably been updated at this point).

Keep in mind - the essay doesn't have to be an essay per se. When I requalified I answered them all with outline style answers, not paragraphs.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: CQM/OE Certification

Keep in mind - the essay doesn't have to be an essay per se. When I requalified I answered them all with outline style answers, not paragraphs.

Good point. In the CQMgr training I had, we even practiced answering the questions within the appropriate time limit and the appropriate length. Bullet points even work. Key: be sure to answer the question! No extra credit for blurting out any old thing. Answer the question and keep the answer focused on that goal.

S

spradhan

Re: CQM/OE Certification - May 2010 - Exam preparation tips and actual exam experienc

Anyone planning to take the CMQ/OE exam on May 23rd at the World Conference on Quality?

Thanks.

A

arios

Re: CQM/OE Certification - May 2010 - Exam preparation tips and actual exam experienc

I took CQM few years ago. I found it easier than CQE, and just a bit more difficult than CQA. With English as a second language the first part of the exam was probably the most challenging.

B

Boscoeee

I took CQM few years ago. I found it easier than CQE, and just a bit more difficult than CQA. With English as a second language the first part of the exam was probably the most challenging.

IMHO, Quality Council of Indiana produces an excellent primer and exam CD (for test practice) for purchase that I found very helpful in the certification process. Check out their website!

I am not affiliated with QCI.

I

irish01

Two questions regarding the ASQ CQMOE exam (or regarding the nature of any ASQ exam):

1. Open book multiple choice: how difficult were they--meaning, were the choices very straightforward and plainly evident in the CMQOE book, or did you have to "read between the lines" and glean info to answer the questions?

2. Essay Q: i see the ASQ's posted Body of Knowledge for this exam shows six possible areas that could be asked for (and 3 will be presented on the exam, 2 are required to be answered). Are the essay questions asked on the exam the exact SAME phrases shown in the B of K, or are these 6 sections merely indications of the types of topics that ASQ expects you to cover in your answer?

Hope this makes sense--as one of my fave professors once said, "You don't necessarily have to know the answer; you just know what book its in!" When it comes to flagging a book for an open book exam, I am "world class" that category. But its possible more in-depth prep is needed.

Any help is appreciated as I begin preparing...THANKS.

Top Bottom