Create your own symbol?

Jen C

Involved In Discussions
We sterilize our device using a method that is not covered by the symbols provided in ISO 15223-1. We'd prefer not to spell out our sterilization method on the label due to space constraints. For other similar issues we have created our own 'symbols' and defined them in the IFU glossary. Is there anything preventing us from modifying an existing (ISO 15223-1) symbol to indicate the sterilization method?

I.e., we would provide the "Sterile" box with another small box next to it containing an abbreviation (similar to the "A" or "EO" sterilization symbols). Then we'd define this in the IFU glossary.

Is there any issue with doing this - in other words, modifying an existing symbol rather than creating a new one? And do you think it would be acceptable to use ONLY the modified version and not also the original one (the plain "STERILE" in a box)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Im not in medical...but that sounds like a question for a lawyer in the field...

Jen C

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your replies - we tried what's suggested by craiglab, but we have been requested to add the method of sterilization on the product label. Our options appear to be (a) describe it in words (difficult due to available space), or (b) create a modified symbol and define in the IFU.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
At the very least I would document a risk analysis covering what (and how) could go wrong in case the symbol is misunderstood / misinterpreted. You *might* need to run a usability test to prove that users understand it properly.

As a devil's advocate's argument - if what you'r suggesting is acceptable, what prevents a manufacturer from creating a whole graphic "language" (collection of symbols) and using it across the board, backing it with a paper insert "dictionary"?...

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your replies - we tried what's suggested by craiglab, but we have been requested to add the method of sterilization on the product label. Our options appear to be (a) describe it in words (difficult due to available space), or (b) create a modified symbol and define in the IFU.
I don't understand then the sterile symbol since there is always a method.
ER 13.3(m) "The label must bear... where applicable, method of sterilization" I've interpreted "where applicable" to mean a reason for including, based on risk analysis. We use [STERILE][EO] - understandable given possible residuals, and [STERILE][R] - not sure what the risks of gamma are but traditional usage.

You mentioned space constraints - maybe a secondary label?

I agree with Ronen on the risk analysis aspects.

I'm hoping you will post what your notified body ends up accepting.

Jen C

Involved In Discussions
Thanks. This is an interesting discussion, because I have always understood that you can, indeed, create your own symbols whenever you want to. The symbols provided in ISO 15223-1 are already approved, which just means you can use those symbols without explaining them (although in practice, I think most people do still provide a glossary). But if you want to create your own symbol, or entirely different ones than those in the standard, I think you can do that - you just need to explain what they mean, and likely do a user/risk assessment to determine whether they might confuse your users. (I should note that our device is for professional use only.)

My concern in creating my own symbol here was mostly that I'm not sure whether modifying an existing symbol is somehow more problematic than creating a new one. Additionally, I'm not sure whether including only the modified symbol would be sufficient, or whether we'd need to include both the "STERILE" and our modified "STERILE-XX" symbols - which is definitely overkill.

Per craiglab's reply, I interpret ER 13.3(m) differently - I believe the "where applicable" means IF your device is sterile. So if you're stating the device is sterile, you need to say HOW it is sterilized. I agree that it then seems redundant to have a "STERILE" symbol, because you're always going to need to specify the type of sterilization. I thought our approach of directing the user to the IFU would be sufficient, but I guess not. Not sure if this is a new MDR-level interpretation, or whether this reviewer is just particular.

As for creating a separate label - the reason for the tight real estate on the label is the size of the container, so there really isn't room for another label either.

It sounds like we just need to propose this and see what they think! Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
(I should note that our device is for professional use only.)
This almost guarantees that users will not consult the IFU/inserts - more the reason to ensure that the new symbol does not confuse (by itself) in a way that might create an unacceptable risk.
My concern in creating my own symbol here was mostly that I'm not sure whether modifying an existing symbol is somehow more problematic than creating a new one.
I guess that generally it increases the risk for confusion - if a user sees something completely new and different from what they know they are (IMO) more likely to stop and think, and maybe look for clarification, if this is significant. If the new symbol is a modification they might not even notice the nuance.
I interpret ER 13.3(m) differently - I believe the "where applicable" means IF your device is sterile. So if you're stating the device is sterile, you need to say HOW it is sterilized. [...] Not sure if this is a new MDR-level interpretation, or whether this reviewer is just particular.
I agree with this interpretation of "where applicable" (in the MDD). The MDR clarifies all that (GSPR 23.2 (l)):
(l) if the device is supplied sterile, an indication of its sterile state and the sterilisation method;

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Sampling Plans - Can a company create its own Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
samer How can someone create his own acceptance criteria ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S AS9100 Full System Internal Audit - Create our own checklist? Internal Auditing 20
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O How to create robustness checklist from p diagram FMEA and Control Plans 9
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
R How to create a Work Breakdown Structure? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
H IMDS for material - Can my Customer create one for my material? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
A How do I create a 3^k factorial design with factors be treated as continuous where I Using Minitab Software 0
E How do I create a FMEA for the Internal Audit process? Internal Auditing 11
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
S Cannot create Rejects for TMV on a medical instrument with an LCD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10
RoxaneB Carte Blanche to Create an Audit Programme General Auditing Discussions 5
O Is it "legit" to create IMDS before Part Production? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
G How to create a mixed OAs in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
S How to create an Audit Checklist using a Turtle Diagram Internal Auditing 9
A Could I create company specific Employee Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
A How to create a Maintenance procedure based on TS 16949 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Ajit Basrur How do I create two different columns in Excel spreadsheet ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
J Inspection Software to Balloon Drawings and Create First Article Reports Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T Microsoft Access Database to create a Simple Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Should a company create different SOPs for ISO14971? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
J How do you Create SOPs for Multiple Authorities? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R How to create a pop-up message in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 18
M What is the formula to create a bell curve? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
M ISO/TS 16949:2009 Follow-up Audit Visits to create more Revenue IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Q Medical Device with Lead (Pb) - Do I need to create an MSDS sheet? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B How to use Minitab to create this Fractional Factorial Design Matrix Using Minitab Software 2
C Document Control using Wiki - Cannot Create all Documents as Wiki Pages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M How to create the Policy for determining criteria for Risk Acceptability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
T How create a Fractional Factorial Design with Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
A How to create a Multiple Operations Specifications Comparison Spreadsheet? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
K When to create a new Control Chart? Quick question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A How to create Drop Down Box in Excel 2007 Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Asked to create a baseline survey on emails that come in and out of our Office Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J How Do Processes Create Value? Article by Paul Harmon Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
W Requirements Traceability Database - Have one? Help create one? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S HR Manager refusing to create Quality Objectives - Is this a Non-Conformity? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
S How do I create a Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) on how to create an SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
O Need to Create Macros so that it can copy data to the next row.... Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
B Who should create training associated with changes to the procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Environmental FMEA - Is it possible to create an environmental FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 12
C Need help to create tracking tool Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
L Customer requirement to create a Guide for defining Control Methods FMEA and Control Plans 9
H How to create Stoplight Control charts with excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 16
W Medical Device FMEA vs. ISO 14971 to create our Hazard Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2